Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[foxsports.com] Redskins keep trading, could end up with 13 picks

tshile

Our Trade-Down Frenzy  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Our Trade-Down Frenzy

• There was a method to this madness (i.e., trading down "worked"!)
    • It was just madness (i.e., ended up trading back so far we missed our target player(s))

Pretty good article summing up the first two days. Especially when they point out that all the extra picks are from trading down 6 spots in the first round.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Redskins-take-LB-Kerrigan-of-Purdue-with-16th-pick-64280946

some good parts:

As of late Friday, the Redskins were set to make 13 total picks, their most since their 15 selections in 1982 - when the draft lasted 12 rounds instead of seven. It's a game plan most associated with New England coach Bill Belichick, who has mastered the art of moving down to accumulate selections in the middle rounds.

jenkins:

''Man, I had Da'Quan Bowers on my team for three years. If anybody took all the accolades, it's him. I'm the kind of guy that does dirty work,'' Jenkins said. ''As long as we're winning games, I don't care what they make me do. If they want me to get on two knees and just sit there, I'll do it.''
Kerrigan made a good first impression. He has a spotless reputation as a player who works hard, studies hard and has a solid family support structure at home in Muncie, Ind.

****, you can say that again!

The crews on ESPN and NFLN didn't know what to say, they were shocked we were doing so well in the trading game. Belichick-esque.

Don't know about ESPN (can't stand Berman) but we were praised a few times on NFLN. By Lombardi, La Confora, and Eisen. About how Shanahan is changing the entire way of doing business in DC. I think we were having Lombardi's second favorite draft out of everyone.

Don't know about ESPN (can't stand Berman) but we were praised a few times on NFLN. By Lombardi, La Confora, and Eisen. About how Shanahan is changing the entire way of doing business in DC. I think we were having Lombardi's second favorite draft out of everyone.

Yeah, I only had access to NFLN last night for the first round. And then today, realized it was online and switched to it when ESPN ended coverage at 9 pm.

Good to know, though, because I missed all of that!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself today with all of these picks. Normally I'd be able to make myself a snack and not worry about missing a Redskins pick, but today, if I leave to get something that takes longer than some chips, I might be in trouble. Not use to this, but not unhappy about it. Great work, Mike and Bruce.

I'm very impressed with the trades. The FO turned the #10 pick into #16, #79, #127, #146, #152, #217. Often that's an entire draft for a team.

It is awesome. However, if Blaine Gabbert turns out to be another Philip RIvers, I wonder if it's going to bite us in the rear.

Even if Gabbert turns into Rivers, we have no one who will help him win. Thats what people fail to realize. Brady and Manning dont win by themselves. They only win when the overall team is good. No wonder why neither has won a superbowl in a while

Hell of a job by the staff and front office to wheel and deal like this. It's been a good draft. As long as these guys hit the field, it will be well worth it. We don't need pro-bowlers or HOF's out of this crop. Just solid contributors.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself today with all of these picks. Normally I'd be able to make myself a snack and not worry about missing a Redskins pick, but today, if I leave to get something that takes longer than some chips, I might be in trouble. Not use to this, but not unhappy about it. Great work, Mike and Bruce.

Didn't plan to but ended up watching the entire 2nd and 3rd round yesterday. And they only picked twice!!....They got 10 to start with today

Even if Gabbert turns into Rivers, we have no one who will help him win. Thats what people fail to realize. Brady and Manning dont win by themselves. They only win when the overall team is good. No wonder why neither has won a superbowl in a while

I'm ok with the strategy but I'm not sure we've succeeded here at anything. Nine picks in 5th-7th. So what? Nine guys to scrap for special teams fodder Maybe we find one gem in there. Probably not

I'm ok with the strategy but I'm not sure we've succeeded here at anything. Nine picks in 5th-7th. So what? Nine guys to scrap for special teams fodder Maybe we find one gem in there. Probably not

Role players/backups (DEPTH) is built in rounds 5-7. That is very important. Would the Packers have won the SuperBowl last year without their depth? They had the most injuries in the league.

Also, you have 9 guys in those rounds competing with eachother. They don't want to be on the streets and they know there are 8 other guys who were drafted near them fighting, too. The % is higher that we'll find more valuable players simply because....we have more to choose from.

This is exciting.

Did [shanny + Allen] we turn 6 picks into 13? This is Patriot-esque. I love it.

I think this is clearly not a "win now" strategy. It'd be nice to finally not hear the complaints that we're not trying to clean house and build for the future. That said, please don't be shocked that a lot of the players drafted don't work out!

Obviously, many of them won't work out. But the more picks, the more you're able to find one or two solid players contributing to the roster. If you only have 2 choices, you may well end up with noone worth it. With 10 picks, if you got one or two you upgraded your team a lot. Finally, I'll add, that if you keep a close eye to those starting lineups in the whole NFL, I'm not so sure that the majority of those players was taken in the 1st and 2nd round. There might be more people taken in the 3-7 rounds than we may think. (darkstarr beat me on this one dammit :P)

Archived