Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?

Conn

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Homer or no homer, I absolutely love what the Giants did. We consistently stuck to our board and went BPA. Walterfootball.com seems to agree as well:

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2011nyg.php

Tons of value added to team strengths, plus we got a burner at WR who was thought to be the best returner in the draft, a need we desperately had to fill this offseason.

I am a happy man.

As far as getting the most talent I would say the giants are having the best draft in that regard. I doubt any of these guys starts this year barring injuries though. Prince will take the nickel spot from Ross (who will get injured). Austin pushes Bernard off the team if Cofield is resigned. Jernigan should help the special teams and adds ridiculous depth to the receiving core. They are going to have to cut a couple of good developmental guys this year. Brewer if he can stay healthy and develop would take over for Mackenzie when he leaves next year. As for fixing their needs at linebacker, it looks like the giants will be going the free agency route again.

For helping their team the most I would say the Redskins, they should be getting a lot of value out of this draft. It saddens me to see them draft well for once. Lots of picks, really like the first 3.

I think the Eagles are drafting poorly this year. Watkins will play for 1 contract with the eagles IMO and the rest of their picks don't impress me in the least. Jarrett, Matthews and Henery were all reaches IMO and I even think Watkins was a reach. Deon Lewis is a very good pick at that point.

The cowboys first two picks looked good to me but after that I am not seeing anything to worry about. I think Smith is going to a 10 year probowler for them.

But really we can't judge the draft for another 3 years so its all speculation at this point.

No homer. The Giants killed this draft. These guys may all end up being colossal mega-busts, but in terms of perceived pre-draft value, it's really hard to argue with what the Giants did over the last 3 days. Even Mike Mayock was gushing over the Giants draft after the 6th round.

No homer. The Giants killed this draft. These guys may all end up being colossal mega-busts, but in terms of perceived pre-draft value, it's really hard to argue with what the Giants did over the last 3 days. Even Mike Mayock was gushing over the Giants draft after the 6th round.

I'm in the Giants' camp for this question. The value of the first two picks alone....

I voted Redskins.

They started the draft with 7 picks, had a high of 14, and finished with 13. We got starters at two key positions on defense (Kerrigan and Jenkins), at least one on offense (Hankerson), Shanny did his thing with RBs, and we got depth at CB (a position that sorely needed it) and WR (badly needed). Add to that another NT and a backup G, and we came out like champs.

Add to the draft the FA signing of Atogwe, and we're the NFCE offseason champs again (but we won it the right way this time).

I voted Redskins.

They started the draft with 7 picks, had a high of 14, and finished with 13. We got starters at two key positions on defense (Kerrigan and Jenkins), at least one on offense (Hankerson), Shanny did his thing with RBs, and we got depth at CB (a position that sorely needed it) and WR (badly needed). Add to that another NT and a backup G, and we came out like champs.

Add to the draft the FA signing of Atogwe, and we're the NFCE offseason champs again (but we won it the right way this time).

I am not sure that the 'offseason' has really even started yet...so i don't think you can be crowned yet....

I am not sure that the 'offseason' has really even started yet...so i don't think you can be crowned yet....

Weren't the pukes crowned SB winners about this time last year...?

How'd that work out?

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:50 PM ----------

Dallas' draft isn't bad....

Using a high pick to select a player who may not see a down during the season?

Seems pretty stupid to me.

I voted Redskins.

Given how many holes the Skins had, judging a draft by how many year one starters a team added seems a little unfair. A playoff team like the Eagles can't really compete on those grounds; unless just the right player at the right position falls to them. Or they reach for a 26 year old rookie.

This is a great point and fills a HUGE need for us as we couldn't cover the middle of the field last year at all. Carter is one of the better coverage lb's in the draft, so this will fill an important role for us right off the bat.

Kool Aid, Kool Aid tastes great, why can't I have some...can't wait!!

From all accounts stated about Carter, they are going to have to nurse him through training camp. He may be ready to play some snaps by the regular season, but when you add this to the fact that he will be learning a new position, you aren't going to be getting starter level quality from this kid in 2011.

And, in this isolated case, there may not be anything wrong with that. But the Cowboys (more specifically Jerruh) has a track record of spending high picks on risky players. Percentage wise, this philosophy hasn't worked out very well.

Your 1st and 2nd round picks should be targeted towards players ready to start.

I picked the Giants, just because thay are already a good team and they added really good picks. The redskins did a really good job, Kerrigan looks good but he'll have to convert to a 3/4 linebacker. I believe he'll do fine with that. Jenkins at the DE position in the 3/4 is going to be good to great. The surprise to me, after I watched some clips after the pick, was Hankerson looks like a starter in this league and probably on this team.

Giants – Liked Amakumara, Austin, Jones, Sash

I don’t get the Jennigan pick. They needed OL, LB and Safety.

Philly – Liked Watkins, Marsh, Matthews, Lewis

Reached on Jarrett, 4th round

PK in the 4th …..Really?

The usage or FB Havili will be interesting if he makes the team. He can’t block.

Dallas – Liked Carter, Arkin, Harris, Chapas and understand Smith choice

Murray can be a good third down back for most teams….but Dallas has third down backs already that are home run threats.

CB Thomas I took him off my board due to multiple documented concussions

No DL???

Weren't the pukes crowned SB winners about this time last year...?

How'd that work out?

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:50 PM ----------

Using a high pick to select a player who may not see a down during the season?

Seems pretty stupid to me.

What does that have to do with the offseason not starting yet? In case you didn't get the memo...FA hasn't started yet...

Who is not going to see a down? Enlighten us...COLOR="Gold"]

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 11:53 AM ----------

[/color]

Kool Aid, Kool Aid tastes great, why can't I have some...can't wait!!

From all accounts stated about Carter, they are going to have to nurse him through training camp. He may be ready to play some snaps by the regular season, but when you add this to the fact that he will be learning a new position, you aren't going to be getting starter level quality from this kid in 2011.

And, in this isolated case, there may not be anything wrong with that. But the Cowboys (more specifically Jerruh) has a track record of spending high picks on risky players. Percentage wise, this philosophy hasn't worked out very well.

Your 1st and 2nd round picks should be targeted towards players ready to start.

Jones said that he would be able to play in Training camp. They would not get much out of him in camps prior to that and they may have to take it easy with him in camp but he will be ready.

I'm failing to see why this is a problem? We get a consensious top 15 pick (without the knee injury) in the 2nd round and we just have to wait a while before he is 100%. Did you happen to notice anything that Sean Lee did last year in a similar situation? Do you really think we get him in the second round if he didn't have a knee?

How about Chris Canty? That was an injury risk that was not a 2nd but a 4th that worked out for Dallas.

I think you are just a negative nancy and are looking for brownie points on a skins board.

I think you are just a negative nancy and are looking for brownie points on a skins board.

Hardly. I'm just a long-time Cowboys fan who has seen the Jerruh playbook over and over. Anything is possible. But the odds are, something will go wrong and you'll see a similar domino effect like last year. Do you really think things have changed at the Valley Ranch? I don't. Just a lot of lip service if you ask me. Every offseason, there is Jerruh shooting off his mouth about how things are going to be different.

Yet every season, it's the same story. There always seems to be a handful of teams who are hungrier, want it more, aren't full of themselves, have something to prove. There is something fundamentally wrong with the Dallas Cowboys Franchise. And I doubt that era of smugness (or whatever it is) is going to leave until Jerruh hangs it up. JMO.

Giants – Liked Amakumara, Austin, Jones, Sash

I don’t get the Jennigan pick. They needed OL, LB and Safety.

I'm guessing primarily for his return skills. The giants were ranked 31st in kick return average and 31st in punt return average last year. While they will get Hixon back, there probably questions about whether he will be at full speed (he had an acl injury). In addition, I wonder if this means Steve Smith may not be 100% by the time the season starts.

Hardly. I'm just a long-time Cowboys fan who has seen the Jerruh playbook over and over. Anything is possible. But the odds are, something will go wrong and you'll see a similar domino effect like last year. Do you really think things have changed at the Valley Ranch? I don't. Just a lot of lip service if you ask me. Every offseason, there is Jerruh shooting off his mouth about how things are going to be different.

Yet every season, it's the same story. There always seems to be a handful of teams who are hungrier, want it more, aren't full of themselves, have something to prove. There is something fundamentally wrong with the Dallas Cowboys Franchise. And I doubt that era of smugness (or whatever it is) is going to leave until Jerruh hangs it up. JMO.

I think there is a drastic difference in how Jason Garrettt is running things to how Wade did. I don't think it cannot be understated how much of a difference an organized and structured program with emphasis on playing hard is. These were things that degenerated while Wade was here. Wade's approach worked the first couple of years because it was a change from the approach that Parcells took but it is not an approach that works over the long haul.

I believe there will be some high priced fat cats that will be purged from this roster once the season starts. That, along with this draft class of high character guys who play hard, will continue to the culture of change that Garrett has instituted.

We have some serious holes to fill on this team but I'm at least willing to see what the moves are before criticizing them.

Keep in mind that FA is still to come and rumors have it that Huff and Asomunga are target of Dallas....

Funny. Fans of almost every team think they are going to get Asomugha. He will become the highest paid FA defender ever when free agency gets crankin. Jerruh doesn't have that kind of cash. Sorry.

Any other season I would have rated the Skins draft very highly, but I do have one concern this season. With the labor situation as it is, it is possible that training camp/pre-season will be shortened and/or eliminated. If that is the case, it is going to be much harder for the Skins to evaluate all of their draft picks in the limited timeframe. If the teams aren't allowed expanded rosters this season, then that could be a problem. I would have expected them to try and get a couple more 2012 picks instead of so many 2011 picks.

I'm guessing primarily for his return skills. The giants were ranked 31st in kick return average and 31st in punt return average last year. While they will get Hixon back, there probably questions about whether he will be at full speed (he had an acl injury). In addition, I wonder if this means Steve Smith may not be 100% by the time the season starts.
Wow, didn't realize they were 31 in both punt and kickoff return average and 31st in opponents punt return average. I'd say there's a bigger problem problem than just Jennigan.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 01:57 PM ----------

Funny. Fans of almost every team think they are going to get Asomugha.
Yup....Three teams just in the NFCE!
He will become the highest paid FA defender ever when free agency gets crankin. Jerruh doesn't have that kind of cash. Sorry.
Well that depends on how many tickets are sold for the Woman's Bowling Tour event at the stadium ;)

Wow, didn't realize they were 31 in both punt and kickoff return average and 31st in opponents punt return average. I'd say there's a bigger problem problem than just Jennigan.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 01:57 PM ----------

Yup....Three teams just in the NFCE!

Well that depends on how many tickets are sold for the Woman's Bowling Tour event at the stadium ;)

The giants look to have plenty of new blood on specials. Jennigan, Jones, sahs, and Williams should push guys off the roster if they live up to their potential. The giants had two rookie UDFAs at gunner last year, and lost Hixon in camp. If their special teams don't improve its clearly all on the coach in my mind.

As for everyone getting Asomugha I predict he stays with the Raiders. Al Davis could just offer him the same contract he had before and no one would come close to matching it. I think it was 15 milllion a year. The only reason he is a free agent is because he didn't get any interceptions and hit the escalators in his contract. Its all about the money, Asomugha could hate the city and the team, you throw 3 million more a year at him than Revis gets and there's almost know way he would turn it down IMO.

#1 - Giants. I think they got more out of the 1st round picks, than anybody. And with Jerry Reese's record, they probably got the best NFCE draft class overall.

#2 - Redskins. We actually did the most with the fewest picks to start with. Basically we brought in guys to help the new 3-4 D, and a thin WR group. As far as how good these guys are, in Shanny we trust.

#3 - Eagles. Aside from taking a kicker in the 4th, they probably added good talent and depth to their team too.

#4 - Cowpukes. As long as Jerry's picking, count on this to be another mediocre at best Cowpuke draft class.

If we're strictly going on talent of the players selected, I'd probably have to say the Giants.

However, I think the Redskins are getting much more overall value from the draft. I mean... the amount of players we'll be adding to our roster is going to be insane and for our situation that's exactly what we needed more than individual talent.

I guess I'm just saying.. the Redskins will benefit more from their draft moves than the Giants will, even though the Giants are getting some amazing steals.

This. If the poll is as it should be that the best drafts produce the most production for the pick the answer has to be the Redskins

Carter was Top 15 talent before he injured his knee. He is the future RILB for us, taking over for Brooking. Lee is going to take over for James as the LILB and will be taking on more the blockers then Carter will be. I am not dying over the pick however, we now have our LB group for the next 10 years with Ware-Lee-Carter-Spencer.

I think you're overrating Bruce Carter. When I think of top 15 LB's, I think of guys like Derrick Johnson, Patrick Willis, Jerod Mayo, and Rolando McClain. Guys who had not only excellent measurables, but also excellent production. Carter definitely has the athleticism to play the position, but his production in college has only ever been OK. If the Cowboys hadn't picked him, I think he might have been one of those players who fell further than most people were expecting.

If their special teams don't improve its clearly all on the coach in my mind.
Agreed!
As for everyone getting Asomugha I predict he stays with the Raiders.
I don't see that happening but I like the bold prediction. He has wanted out for 3-4 years now. Davis has a way of doing that to players and coaches.
I think you're overrating Bruce Carter.
I don't think he is overrating him. The knee made him slide in. Just don't see him on the inside like they are talking about using him. He should be very good on passing downs right away.

Archived