Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UT: Cam Newton hasn't worked a day in his life and ALREADY needs a VACATION.

'Skins_&_'Stons

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/04/cam-newton-ready-for-much-needed-vacation-after-no-1-selection/1

I am really starting to despise this doucher.

Cam Newton ready for 'much-needed vacation' after No. 1 selection

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

Cam Newton completed his journey to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.

What's he going to do now that he's a member of the Carolina Panthers?

He said he's going to take his mother on a "much-needed vacation."

"Man am I happy," Newton told reporters from Carolina after being selected No. 1 overall (Via CarolinaGrowl.com).

"I am glad for it to be over and I'm glad for me to know something. There were a lot of sleepless nights where there was uncertainty. But now we can put the cap on the bottle."

Panthers coach Ron Rivera, in his first season with the team, said Newton will have an opportunity to play immediately.

"Most definitely. Everybody has an opportunity to play," Rivera said. "Cam will play when Cam gets himself ready to play. I'm putting a little bit of a challenge out there for him. That's what he thrives on."

The trend in the NFL (with Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford over past few years) has been for highly-drafted rookie QBs to start immediately.

On a Carolina QB depth chart that counts only Jimmy Clausen and Tony Pike (Matt Moore is unsigned), Newton might have a chance of continuing that trend.

But Rivera also stopped short of placing too much pressure on Newton.

"He's not drafted to be a franchise savior," Rivera said of the team that went 2-14 last year.

"He's drafted to be a part of what we do and how we do it. If this football team is going to win a championship we're going to get back to running the football the way we did and the way this team can."

I would need a vacation too. It has to be exhausting to have all eyes on you constantly. Not to mention you're meeting with very important people that will determine your future, and being critiqued for every little thing you do. That's work whether you want to admit it or not. BTW, how can you be a heisman trophy winner and not work? That's such an ignorant statement.

A week vacation isn't going to make anyone fall behind btw. Especially with the state of the NFL right now.

If you don't think getting ready to be drafted for the NFL isn't work, then I can understand your viewpoint. But, there's no doubt he has probably been putting in significant hours into working out, watching film, interviewing with teams, mock-interviewing, studying, etc.

It's like saying a college student who has excellend has not worked a day in his life. True, but not so much.

Edit: I don't expect him to be a top 10 QB in the NFL, however. I think all the hard work he's put in the past year has resulted in his being drafted #1, so it has paid off. Just don't think his game translates to the NFL QB position.

Eh .. if he were taking his boys to Vegas, that'd be one thing. But he's going on a vacation with his MOTHER. Mind you, of course, that Sunday is Mother's day.

I wouldn't jump the gun on it yet.

I don't think Cam Newton has said one thing about the Panthers or working hard or looking forward to the challenge or thanking the organization or anything.

all i hear from him is me, my, I, we, me, me, me...

this guy is going to be a bust... lock it.

I heard him say that after being drafted, and my first reaction was :wtf:

Even if he's taking a vacation with his Mum, that's definitely not what he should tell the Panthers fans in the audience. He should probably have said, "I'm getting ready to work." He is getting ready to work, he's just taking a break for a week or two.

I actually think it's cool he's going on vacation with his mom, I just wouldn't want to hear that first thing after I selected him #1 overall, since I'm not locked into paying him at least $80 million (I meaning Ron Rivera).

And Rivera is an idiot if he thinks Newton ISN'T going to be under pressure to save that team.

I don't think Cam Newton has said one thing about the Panthers or working hard or looking forward to the challenge or thanking the organization or anything.

all i hear from him is me, my, I, we, me, me, me...

this guy is going to be a bust... lock it.

You and I haven't been watching the same draft coverage then. All I hear is work, challenge, determination. It sounds like the guy almost has a speech coaching telling him what to say. He used to constantly talk about himself, but since the draft process kicked in, he's changed his tone. I also can't imagine the amount of stress working out, interviewing, traveling from team to team and constantly being scrutinized would do to a young man. I see no problem in this and I'd probably want a short vacation too. It's probably the last one he's gonna have for awhile

Cam Newton's "vacation-gate" does highlight the galling stupidity of mankind, and it's neither Cam, Deion, or the reporter who is being stupid.

IT'S THE AVERAGE FAN WHO IS BEYOND ****TARDED.

Interview transcript:

Deion: What's the first thing you're going to do for momma?

Cam: A vacation

Cam's Mom (interjects): ...much-needed

Cam: A much-needed vacation

Yeah, somehow this convo tells people that Newton is a "party-hog". Maybe some of you ****ers can learn to COMPREHEND a complete sentence before jumping to conclusions. Also, VERIFYING THE ORIGINAL SOURCE helps.

If you don't think getting ready to be drafted for the NFL isn't work, then I can understand your viewpoint. But, there's no doubt he has probably been putting in significant hours into working out, watching film, interviewing with teams, mock-interviewing, studying, etc.

It's like saying a college student who has excellend has not worked a day in his life. True, but not so much.

Edit: I don't expect him to be a top 10 QB in the NFL, however. I think all the hard work he's put in the past year has resulted in his being drafted #1, so it has paid off. Just don't think his game translates to the NFL QB position.

Despise, really? You haven't spend 10 seconds with the guy and you use the word "despise". You're some guy on amessage board...not sure who made you the moral authority over Cam Newton.

As much as I don't like some of the things Cam Newton has either done or said in the past year, this is one of those instances where people are literally making something out of nothing, which is par for the course with some of you guys.

The guy is taking his mother on a vacation, whoopty ****ing doo. As much as some posters on this board want the players on their teams to think about football 24/7, along with routinely rescuing children from burning buildings, getting Timmy's cat out of the tree, helping Grandma Gertrude cross the street, etc etc, these guys really do have lives, and there really shouldn't be a global crisis whenever a guy that just got drafted, chooses to take his family on a vacation, especially when you consider that 1.) He's unsigned, and 2.) The lockout is still in effect. Better luck next time OP

He should take a vacation. He's coming off year of being a full time student and athlete. On top of that he was training for the NFL draft, meeting and selecting agents, setting up endorsements, scouting combine, pro day, actually appearing at the draft, etc. I'm only a student and by the time my school year ends I'm ready for a vacation too.

Let the guy sit back and catch his breath.

Cam Newton's "vacation-gate" does highlight the galling stupidity of mankind, and it's neither Cam, Deion, or the reporter who is being stupid.

IT'S THE AVERAGE FAN WHO IS BEYOND ****TARDED.

Interview transcript:

Yeah, somehow this convo tells people that Newton is a "party-hog". Maybe some of you ****ers can learn to COMPREHEND a complete sentence before jumping to conclusions. Also, VERIFYING THE ORIGINAL SOURCE helps.

How do you really feel?

Cam Newton may very well be a bust in the NFL (I'm not a big fan). But whether he takes a vacation with his mother this week will have nothing to do with it. This is picking on a guy just to pick on a guy. Besides he finally has a chance to spend some of the money he earned in college.

Wow. Talk about thread fail on the OP's part.

Good to see the majority in this thread can see how much scrutiny, stress, criticism, etc Cam has been under for quite some time now and realizes that he needs to get away and recharge his batteries.

How do you really feel?

What's that *****? This "vacation-gate" affair is ENTIRELY cooked up by a LARGE contingent of football fans clearly biased against him. Wanna SEE THE INTERVIEW???? I can assure you, my transcription was indeed accurate.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaxyvS3tpa4

Please, do tell me HOW the HELL does this interview show a selfish player? It doesn't

Archived