Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Report: Owners get stay of injunction, lockout back on

DM72

Really, lots? Or maybe just a couple of people related to the owners.

I am in favor of the Owners getting a deal done, and I still hate Snyder's guts . not related to that midget in any freaking way. A lot of people feel the same way too......hell on a poll in PFT in whom do you support between players, owners or neither,...the numbers where overwhelmingly owners. People despise Demauarice Smith bcos from the get go the players wanted this **** to go to court by hiring a freaking lawyer as their labor head......I hope the owners prevail in this ****, tired oif all their BS " we just wanna play" then accept a deal , hash a deal out and play. Don't take it to court

I am in favor of the Owners getting a deal done, and I still hate Snyder's guts . not related to that midget in any freaking way. A lot of people feel the same way too......hell on a poll in PFT in whom do you support between players, owners or neither,...the numbers where overwhelmingly owners. People despise Demauarice Smith bcos from the get go the players wanted this **** to go to court by hiring a freaking lawyer as their labor head......I hope the owners prevail in this ****, tired oif all their BS " we just wanna play" then accept a deal , hash a deal out and play. Don't take it to court

Thanks for the response. I really was under the impression that this was pretty one sided.

I don't agree at all with what you are saying but good to know that there are people that are in favor of the owners. We live in a time where everything is settled in court. Not sure why you begrudge the players for fighting for their worth.

It almost sounds like you want them to take an inferior deal just so football can be played. Which is exactly the owners standpoint. Are you sure your not related? jk...

Some NFL fans side with the owners only out of fear that the owners will raise ticket prices if the owners dont win this battle with players.

:whoknows:

Me personally I'm on the players side for the most part, but I like the idea of a rookie wage scale.

Like I said earlier this week in a different thread, this was a "set up" by both sides so that they could get playbooks and other information out to the players and draft picks. Bet on it that some player on the 'Skins defense has been given information (playbooks...) to distribute to our new rookie as well as other players drafted today and tomorrow.

Clerk whistles 'false start' on lockout report

Posted on: April 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Edited on: April 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Score: 116

Log-in to rate:

Log-in to rate:

Posted by Will Brinson

NEW YORK -- The lockout is NOT back, despite a number of reports that began circulating around lunch time on Friday (those reporters owe me half a sandwich, by the way).

CBSSports.com spoke with Michael Gans, Clerk of Court for the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and he informed us that there was an erroneous reading of online court documents that caused the report to appear on ESPN. (The document read "Appellees' motion to file an overlength brief in response to appellants' motion for stay is hereby granted." This means that the court said it would hear the players' response.)

The network retracted the report at the top of the next hour although they have not, as yet, acknowledged the change in report.

This prompted my favorite comment from a member of the court ever: Mr. Gans joked that someone should be "penalized for a false start."

There's still a good chance that the court will rule on Friday. And there's still a good chance that the lockout returns.

In fact, many observers (myself included) expect it to happen.

For now, though, the lockout only lurks.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/28926127

Everyone just chill until, we get definitive word. Looks like ESPN and PFT jumped the gun, SHOCKER!!!

hitman remember the absolute truth here, no matter what side you are on, is that the lock out was a CHOICE by the owners. The CBA had a year left and there was absolutely no reason to have this fight this year.... other than the fact the NFL owners made an illegal deal in their TV contracts to pay them even if there was no football.

If the players bend over or stand tall in negotiations that doesn't change the fact that the owners created this situation. THEY didn't like the terms of the agreement and decided to hold out.

hitman remember the absolute truth here, no matter what side you are on, is that the lock out was a CHOICE by the owners. The CBA had a year left and there was absolutely no reason to have this fight this year.... other than the fact the NFL owners made an illegal deal in their TV contracts to pay them even if there was no football.

If the players bend over or stand tall in negotiations that doesn't change the fact that the owners created this situation. THEY didn't like the terms of the agreement and decided to hold out.

erm, I don't believe there was another year...was there? And while it's easy to demonize the owners by saying THEY made the lockout...well, they're the only ones who CAN, and it simply had to happen under the circumstances. My only problem with the owners is they waited until the very last minute to give a proposal. On the other hand, all that time was spent listening to the players 'demands' and every single one of them was met, except the money, which was still compromised. Turns out, the players didn't give a rat's ass about veteran benefits, health care, or rookie caps..they just want a bigger piece of the pie. They (Demaurice Smith) were deceiving in selling the whole 'woe is me' attitude and sob stories about poor broke veterans. Nope. Just more money please. It's so 'politicky' the way they're using everything possible to make the owners look evil, all the way down to encouraging folks to BOO Roger Goodell. Why? Do people even know what they're booing about? "WE WANT FOOTBALL DERR". No ****. You know what he's thinking, standing on that podium? "You people have no idea what you're talking about", and he's right. Remember they wanted to BOYCOTT the draft, too? It's ridiculous.

It's just greed fighting greed, and I'm sorry, but in that battle (at my job anyway) the boss wins. Sorry. It's not like the players are getting absolutely ripped off. They're just mad they can't see books, and IMO they shouldn't because we have every reason to believe they would pick and choose and skew the numbers ...and then who's to decide what's an acceptable profit? Again, I'm not allowed to go tell my boss how much money he's allowed to make. I know, it's collective bargaining, but if you ask me, the players are being awfully bossy and demanding, and, on record, the owners made an attempt to end it with a pretty generous proposal. It's not like it was a technicality, they really thought the players would take it, and we could end this mess. What have the players done? Demand more, attempt to boycott things, encourage childish booing, and ride their super lawyer all the way to court so everyone can appeal everything.

I'm fine with businesses being able to make the choice to change their operating expenses in a down economy. Union contracts have ruined the steel industry, the railroad industry, the auto industry and the airline industry and are the reason you wait for hours at the DMV. I applaud the owners opting out from a bad labor contract and renegotiating as was their negotiated right. If the players don't like it, they can go somewhere else.

You cant penalize business because the millionaire players dont have someone else to play them million of dollars to work 3/4 of the year. The reality is there will be plenty of college players who will want to come in and play for the NFL. If the current players dont want to play for billions of dollars, they can can stay home. The truth is they will be a non factor in a couple of years and no one will really miss them

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 03:55 PM ----------

Except the owners, apparently. Supporting them means you want them to get a huge raise in their incomes.

Im ok with the owners getting whatever the free market will allow them. They invested their money into the game and took risks to grow it. That is the American way. People who take risks get the benefits of it.

Im ok with NFL players if they dont want to play for the millions the owners offer, taking their talent somewhere else as the free market will allow them.

But to say that players can change the rules whenever the situation benefits them and the owners have to pay is silly. Its pretty clear an unfair labor practice by the union and if this is allowed, it leaves the NFL always in a lose lose situation which will break down labor/mgmt dynamics that will make it difficult to do business in America

you need to stop talking about free market like the NFL really practices one.

I'm not really familiar with the names of all the major software companies out there, but imagine if instead of people with degrees in whatever computer sciences they need scheduled interviews with companies such as Microsoft to get into the business Microsoft got together with all it's rivals and every year they held a draft for the top people coming out of college? That's how similar the NFL is to most American business practices: it's not.

Personally I'd be happy if players and owners got less money, and if this leads the people who are it it for profit to decide it's to risky and to get out. The NFL's big enough. It has no competition that could ruin it, it's expanded past it's traditional season, it can seemingly no longer protect it's players on the field without dramatic changes to the rules. Let's get back to owners who just want a status symbol. because honestly the NFL has gotten big enough that if it gets larger it's going to collapse into itself. Like with this lockout

I wonder how far the owners are willing to go. They can't play replacement games so they aren't making any money either.

Personally I want some big stuff to happen. Any locality that gave tax breaks to stadiums? Take 'em back. Fans should be pissed enough to approve it.

Let's see some veteran superstar decide to retire because he's just that pissed at the owners. Peyton Manning anyone?

I think it's to bad the New USFL never got off the ground and hope the UFL can do something big.

you need to stop talking about free market like the NFL really practices one.

I'm not really familiar with the names of all the major software companies out there, but imagine if instead of people with degrees in whatever computer sciences they need scheduled interviews with companies such as Microsoft to get into the business Microsoft got together with all it's rivals and every year they held a draft for the top people coming out of college? That's how similar the NFL is to most American business practices: it's not.

Personally I'd be happy if players and owners got less money, and if this leads the people who are it it for profit to decide it's to risky and to get out. The NFL's big enough. It has no competition that could ruin it, it's expanded past it's traditional season, it can seemingly no longer protect it's players on the field without dramatic changes to the rules. Let's get back to owners who just want a status symbol. because honestly the NFL has gotten big enough that if it gets larger it's going to collapse into itself. Like with this lockout

I wonder how far the owners are willing to go. They can't play replacement games so they aren't making any money either.

Personally I want some big stuff to happen. Any locality that gave tax breaks to stadiums? Take 'em back. Fans should be pissed enough to approve it.

Let's see some veteran superstar decide to retire because he's just that pissed at the owners. Peyton Manning anyone?

I think it's to bad the New USFL never got off the ground and hope the UFL can do something big.

It is a free market. NFL isnt a basic essential to life or a needed essential. Its not electricity, food or whatever. Its a past-time in country full of past times. Theres Canadian football, arena football, powder puff football as well as other sports. The NFL doesnt force you to watch games or force players to play.

If the owners dont want to pay the players, that's tough. If the quality goes down people will not pay to watch. The owners should be able to do what's in the best interest to them and that is how it is. The players can do what is in the best interest to them. If the players dont want to accept billions of dollars, leave the game. Some one else will. Really, who thinks the NFL players are getting a bad deal. Im sure coal miners or iron workers dont- or other people who really deserve a union. Basically, to force the NFL owners to pay players whatever the players want under whatever labor situation the players want to enact at any given time is silly.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 09:15 PM ----------

As for the stadiums, the voters dont need to vote to pay to keep teams in their towns. That is their right- but on the flip side, you can't make the teams stay in the town. They leave and they take jobs and equity with it.

I think youre right to want to root for the UFL. Stop going to NFL games and consuming NFL products. Start supporting UFL things- it is your right in a free market.

just because something isn't absolutely one thing doesn't mean it's automatically absolutely the other.

I don't think the NFL players are getting a bad deal. I do however think the owners are asking for a better deal than they deserve. If they weren't willing to accept what was in place they could stop being NFL owners. There's plenty of rich people in America, after all

Archived