Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportsDay: Jerry Jones: Two of the four players we were considering were already off the board

tr1

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/04/jerry-jones-two-of-the-four-pl.html

Jon Machota / Special contributor to SportsDayDFW.com

Tom Ciskowski said Tuesday that there could be between five or six offensive tackles selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.

And the Dallas Cowboys' director of scouting was on the money. Including Tyron Smith, the offensive tackle the Cowboys selected with the ninth overall pick, five tackles went off the board in the opening round.

Moments after mentioning that prediction during a pre-draft press conference, Ciskowsi was asked how many players the Cowboys would most likely be considering when they drafted at No. 9.

"There will be about four players that we will be considering at that point," he responded.

Since he did not give the names, Ciskowski left the door open for a little speculation.

Who were the four players he thought the Cowboys would be choosing from?

After the first round concluded on Thursday, Jerry Jones was asked how many of those four were available when the Cowboys were on the clock.

Jones responded: "We had two. The others had been taken. ... Certainly, one of them was Smith."

Smith was the pick, so obviously he was in their top three. But who were the two that were already off the board?

Jones spoke highly of his current quarterback situation on Tuesday, thus subtracting Cam Newton and Jake Locker from the mix and leaving Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith.

There was no way Miller and Dareus were falling to No. 9 and selecting Green or Jones after choosing Dez Bryant last year would seem like an unfavorable choice.

So with Peterson and Aldon Smith remaining, the Missouri defensive end makes sense, but Peterson seems like a bit of a reach. Many considered the LSU corner to be the most talented player in the draft.

The truth will probably never come out, but there is always room for some healthy speculation.

[Jones spoke highly of his current quarterback situation on Tuesday, thus subtracting Cam Newton and Jake Locker from the mix and leaving Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith.

So with Peterson and Aldon Smith remaining, the Missouri defensive end makes sense, but Peterson seems like a bit of a reach. Many considered the LSU corner to be the most talented player in the draft.

The truth will probably never come out, but there is always room for some healthy speculation.

I think it was Peterson and Dareus.

No NFCE teams went flashy, just filled needs. Giants ignored highest needs because Prince fell to them. AR stuck with what he knows best, big uglies. I still can't believe Jerry didn't go with a flashier player.

Dallas now must hope Smith can keep the weight on or he will be a rag doll.

What's going on with es?
Overload probably, it is crazy though!

They were saying that the Cowboys could move Free back to RT and put Smith at LT. What??? Smith has been a RT his whole college career and Free played well enough. I wouldn't make the switch myself, but go ahead Dallass.

Exactly! Free was a top 5 Left tackle last year statistically. Why try to fix what isn't broken?

I guess Jerry is trying to go cheap when re-signing Doug lol

Exactly! Free was a top 5 Left tackle last year statistically. Why try to fix what isn't broken?

Wouldn't mind that at all...

Rak and Kerrigan will have their way with Dallas' O line for years to come, if Free is playing.

Wouldn't mind that at all...

Rak and Kerrigan will have their way with Dallas' O line for years to come, if Free is playing.

Seriously? The dude only allowed 5 sacks ALL YEAR in his first year at Left Tackle.

Doug Free had one of the best pass protection years in the NFL last season at left tackle. He surrendered 5 sacks in 668 pass protection situations last season. His success rate was 99.3%.

Seriously? The dude only allowed 5 sacks ALL YEAR in his first year at Left Tackle.

Doug Free had one of the best pass protection years in the NFL last season at left tackle. He surrendered 5 sacks in 668 pass protection situations last season. His success rate was 99.3%.

Maybe that's because everyone just rushed the QB from the other side or the middle. :whoknows:

but Kerrigan is a BEAST :excited:

I think its so funny how jacked up we all get before the players our favorite team drafts, even hits the field. I mean its hilarious that some skins fans I talk to and have on Facebook and chat with etc...are already talkin "Clay Mathews"......+

And trust me some Dallas fans think that Erik Williams will be in the lineup for week 1 of (Tyron Smiths) his NFL Career.....

Its too funny.....

That being said, if indeed Kerrigan does 'work out" to be a decent player, then the Skins already get an A on my grade book for the draft. It was a need, a guy they could have drafted at 10, yet the still got him and an extra 2nd. Congrats to them, on the effort, but for Gods sake lets see if the kid can play yet....I am still waiting on a 1st round DE/OLB from Purdue to impress me .....ya know?

but Kerrigan is a BEAST :excited:

I think its so funny how jacked up we all get before the players our favorite team drafts, even hits the field. I mean its hilarious that some skins fans I talk to and have on Facebook and chat with etc...are already talkin "Clay Mathews"......+

And trust me some Dallas fans think that Erik Williams will be in the lineup for week 1 of (Tyron Smiths) his NFL Career.....

Its too funny.....

That being said, if indeed Kerrigan does 'work out" to be a decent player, then the Skins already get an A on my grade book for the draft. It was a need, a guy they could have drafted at 10, yet the still got him and an extra 2nd. Congrats to them, on the effort, but for Gods sake lets see if the kid can play yet....I am still waiting on a 1st round DE/OLB from Purdue to impress me .....ya know?

There's plenty of room to discuss Kerrigan over in the Stadium.

Let's talk about the youngest player in the draft starting in the NFCE after he put on 20 lbs in a short period of time.

I'm very, very happy to see him try to play 16 games.

Romo sits to pee could see his career end by game three...

There's plenty of room to discuss Kerrigan over in the Stadium.

Let's talk about the youngest player in the draft starting in the NFCE after he put on 20 lbs in a short period of time.

I'm very, very happy to see him try to play 16 games.

Romo sits to pee could see his career end by game three...

He cannot be worse then Colombo or Barron. Period.

I am almost positive Jerrah was convinced Shanahan wanted Locker with the 10th pick. There was a stunned look on the faces of the Cowboys war room when they realized Houston took him and they were no longer going to be able to trade their pick to Seattle to screw over the Redskins, no would they be able to trade their pick to StL with Jones off the board to ATL. Ol Skeletor was just sitting there like an idiot waiting for his phone to ring, haha I can only imagine how he felt when we traded down to pick up the additional 2nd rounder, Jerrah is going to have to get used to the fact that Shanahan is an old pro who isn't going to be as easy to read as Snyderatto.

I am almost positive Jerrah was convinced Shanahan wanted Locker with the 10th pick. There was a stunned look on the faces of the Cowboys war room when they realized Houston took him and they were no longer going to be able to trade their pick to Seattle to screw over the Redskins, no would they be able to trade their pick to StL with Jones off the board to ATL. Ol Skeletor was just sitting there like an idiot waiting for his phone to ring, haha I can only imagine how he felt when we traded down to pick up the additional 2nd rounder, Jerrah is going to have to get used to the fact that Shanahan is an old pro who isn't going to be as easy to read as Snyderatto.

If Dallas wanted to screw Washington there they would of. We were offered the same deal from Jacksonville and we turned it down.

If Dallas wanted to screw Washington there they would of. We were offered the same deal from Jacksonville and we turned it down.

Where did you read this? I haven't seen any articles that are saying Dallas turned down that trade, I'd love to read the article, can you send the url to me.

I think it was Peterson and Dareus.

No NFCE teams went flashy, just filled needs. Giants ignored highest needs because Prince fell to them. AR stuck with what he knows best, big uglies. I still can't believe Jerry didn't go with a flashier player.

Dallas now must hope Smith can keep the weight on or he will be a rag doll.

Overload probably, it is crazy though!

The two players were Patrick Peterson and Aldon Smith.

I was referring to the fact that Skeletor obviously wasnt planning on Gabbert being available when the Cowboys pick came up, he looked like a fat girl on prom night sitting there waiting for his phone to ring. I dont buy for a minute that Jacksonville was calling Dallas, that trade was all Bruce Allen with the Cowboys trying to save face.

I lol'd this but it could be true...
The two players were Patrick Peterson and Aldon Smith.
I've read this but don't buy Aldon Smith as a target that early.

Why would Dallas want Aldon Smith with Ware and Spencer already on board? You can never have too many pass rushers but it seems they have a way bigger hole at DE than OLB.

It was reported and verified by the team that they turned down the same exact deal from Jacksonville. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to, thats fine. Many Cowboys fans think they should have taken the deal but the team said they didn't want to risk Tyron Smith being gone, which he would have been.

Archived