Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com, Jeffri Chadiha: Redskins made smart choice with Kerrigan

blitzpackage

Here’s the easy way to assess the Washington Redskins' decision to select Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan with the 16th overall pick in this year’s draft: They added a strong, versatile pass-rusher who can complement burgeoning star Brian Orakpo. Now here’s the better way to evaluate that move: The team also sent a potent message about the near future, one that said energy and attitude will mean as much as talent for new additions to that locker room.

As good as Kerrigan is -- he was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 -- his approach to the game will pay huge dividends for his new employer. This is a young man who plays every down as if the Lombardi Trophy hangs in the balance. Kerrigan also treats any opportunity he receives as if he’s truly blessed to have one. For a team that has spent the past year coping with the headache that is their highest paid defender, defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, this has to be a nice change. Kerrigan should pump new life into that side of the football just with his love of the game.

Click for the rest.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/26528/redskins-made-smart-choice-with-kerrigan

Great article. Can't wait to see him in B&G.

I am pleased with a high energy blue collar player. I know we need a QB but a lot of teams are reaching. Even the high picks are projects.

This only happened because of the labour dispute. My opinion is that will end in due course. It is more than likely then we will get a veteran at a bargain price.

I am pleased with a high energy blue collar player. I know we need a QB but a lot of teams are reaching. Even the high picks are projects.

This only happened because of the labour dispute. My opinion is that will end in due course. It is more than likely then we will get a veteran at a bargain price.

As good as Kerrigan is -- he was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 -- his approach to the game will pay huge dividends for his new employer. This is a young man who plays every down as if the Lombardi Trophy hangs in the balance. Kerrigan also treats any opportunity he receives as if he’s truly blessed to have one. For a team that has spent the past year coping with the headache that is their highest paid defender, defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, this has to be a nice change. Kerrigan should pump new life into that side of the football just with his love of the game.

Just LOVE that assessment of him! No more divas!!

It's funny, how long did we go without drafting a real bonafide pass rusher? Now we've gone and drafted pass rushers with our first round picks twice in the last three seasons. I like that.

Now all we need is a beast NT, and we would be pretty much set on defense.

My biggest concern is that this is another player that the Redskins are going to try to coach up and teach him how to play a position other than his natural position. He way to light to play DE in a 3-4 defense and he has never played OLB before. Orakpo did it last year, and he is still learning the position. How long is it going to take Kerrigan? Is this the best way to improve a defense with so many holes? I can't help but think that there was other players available at 16 that fit our scheme while continuing to play their natural positions.

My biggest concern is that this is another player that the Redskins are going to try to coach up and teach him how to play a position other than his natural position. He way to light to play DE in a 3-4 defense and he has never played OLB before. Orakpo did it last year, and he is still learning the position. How long is it going to take Kerrigan? Is this the best way to improve a defense with so many holes? I can't help but think that there was other players available at 16 that fit our scheme while continuing to play their natural positions.

Such as? The only one I see is Cameron Jordan -- and Rush LB was one of our serious needs. The transition from DE to Rush LB is one of the easier ones to make, see Orakpo, Brian; Ware, Demarcus, etc. I actually like Kerrigan better at LB than I do Von Miller at DE in a 4-3 (246 for a DE...)

Archived