Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: Sally Kern: Minorities Earn Less Because They Don't Work As Hard

Larry

Link to Huff Post.

Link to the Tulsa World that HuffPost is quoting.

Rep. Sally Kern, R-Oklahoma City, said minorities earn less than white people because they don’t work as hard and have less initiative.

“We have a high percentage of blacks in prison, and that’s tragic, but are they in prison just because they are black or because they don’t want to study as hard in school? I’ve taught school, and I saw a lot of people of color who didn’t study hard because they said the government would take care of them.”

The overall story is the OK legislature putting a Constitutional Amendment on the ballot, banning all affirmative action from all government actions.

I have no problem with this part that is a actual quote ,nor with the bill submitted by the black/american indian rep

“We have a high percentage of blacks in prison, and that’s tragic, but are they in prison just because they are black or because they don’t want to study as hard in school? I’ve taught school, and I saw a lot of people of color who didn’t study hard because they said the government would take care of them.”

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110427_11_0_TheOkl298226&rss_lnk=11

Is the description of her comments fair? (not gonna download Silverlight to see)

We have a high percentage of blacks in prison and that's tragic :yes:

But are they in prison just because they are black or because they don't want to study as hard in school? :stop:

I've taught school :yes:

and I saw a lot of people of color :yes:

who didn't study hard :yes:

because they said the government would take care of them :doh:

Already backpedaling with a apology

http://www.koco.com/r/27703800/detail.html

State representative Mike Shelton said he wants Kern reprimanded.

"There is no place for those kind of comments on the floor of the Oklahoma House of Representatives or the Oklahoma State Senate," Sheldon said.

On Thursday, Kern released this statement:

Speaker of the house Kris Steele said he disagreed with Kern's comments but he did accept her apology.

And life moves on...

I'm curious, do you Republicans think your party has a future in this country with people like this representing it?

Is the description of her comments fair? (not gonna download Silverlight to see)
They're quoting her wrong:
We have heard tonight already that in prison there's more black people. Yes, there are, and that's tragic, it's tragic that our prisons here in Oklahoma, what are they, 99% occupancy? But the other side of the story, perhaps this is something we need to consider: is this just because they are black that they're in prison or because they don't want to work hard in school? White people oftentimes don't want to work hard in school, or Asians, oftentimes. A lot of times, that's what happens. I've taught school for twenty years, and I saw a lot of people of color who didn't want to work as hard, they wanted it given to them. As a matter of fact I had one student who said, "I don't need to study, you know why? Because the government is gonna care of me." That's kind of revealing there. Equal opportunity, not equal results.

I'm not really sure what her point is or what she's talking about to tell you the truth. And the video doesn't help much, she's not the best speaker, kinda rambles a bit.

This is the other quote btw:

You see, women usually don't want to work as hard as a man, because, now I mean, now get me, wait a minute, now listen to me, women, hang on, women tend to think a little bit more about their family, wanting to be at home more time, want to have a little more leisure time, that's all I mean. I'm not saying women don't work hard. I think women work very hard, so don't take that the wrong way. But that's fact as you have to keep in mind, okay? Women like to be willing to have a moderate work life with plenty of time for spouse and children and other things like that, that's all I meant, okay. They work very hard. But sometimes they aren't willing to commit all their life to a job like a lot of men do. That's all I meant by that.

I'd agree with her idea of "institutionalized racism is a horrible idea" if she didn't suggest it by making a racist generalization that colored people are free loading off the government. The downsides of the "institutionalized racism" are completely lost to her but lets not let that get in the way.

I hate both republicans and democrats. However, I heard the same comments in my high school that she stated. Is anyone going to argue that their are more whites in prison? I'm so sick and tired of everything being called racism when a white person does it. It's never racism when a black person racially profiles a white person.....nooooo never. She is stating facts whether you people want to believe it or not. It's facts.

Archived