Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/Sally Jenkins: NFL owners are wrong, and don’t get it

mikeumd

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl-owners-are-wrong-and-dont-get-it/2011/04/26/AFPj63rE_story.html

NFL owners are wrong, and don’t get it

David J. Phillip/ AP - A federal judge Monday ordered an end to the NFL lockout, giving the players an early victory in their fight with the owners over how to divide the $9 billion business.

BySally Jenkins, Published: April 26

Federal judge Susan Richard Nelson essentially said to the NFL owners in her ringing 89-page ruling: Cut your losses, fellas. You’re in the wrong. Understand the extraordinary privilege you have enjoyed all these years, and don’t push it. Stow your hubris, and end the labor dispute, or risk losing everything.

The owners don’t get it, and haven’t from the beginning. But they better get it fast, or the entire structure of the league may come down around their ears. On Tuesday, it suddenly became clear what a doomsday scenario they put into play when they picked a financial fight with their players, and locked them out.

*Click Link For More*

Hmm, another typical piece from the Washington Post -- Sally Jenkin's opinions in support of a Democrat presidential-appointee judge's ruling against 'greedy' owners. What a surprise!

Funny how Jenkins takes the time to mention how the 8th District Court has ..."13 of the 16 judges were nominated by Republican presidents, and therefore might be conservative and pro-business" but omits background on the judge who was solely responsible for inititiating rulings that will likely result in the NFL system getting tossed into chaos. I would have been more impressed on some kind of Jenkins defense for why Nelson would not agree to a stay of her injunction while things get sorted out.

Now, this chaotic interim cannot avoid episodes of uneven treatment, and that will yield a cornucopia of torts for lawyers to file. And ultimately, it will be the ticket-holders and smaller market franchises that suffer from all the torts and settlements resulting from this.

I know a lot of people are siding with the Players on this one (especially with the drumbeat references about 'greedy Owners'). But consider how if it becomes too difficult to run a business (even an entertainment business) then fans had better be prepared for a contraction of the league -- because some Owners will give up and opt out and then seek a greater return on their capital investment elsewhere. A capital drain from the NFL isn't going to be good for football as you know it today.

I don't know about everyone else, but I really don't want the NFL to morph into some unbalanced league like the "Premier League" where you have a few 'mega-markets' and the rest are mini-franchises offering up easy wins to the 'big boys'. Oh yes, and don't forget that you (as fans) will probably be bearing greater costs to support the hike in operating costs for owners desiring to field a competitive team, in the NFL redesigned by Susan Nelson and the NFLPA.

To be frank I was very unhappy that the owners decided to intiate this course of action (although I don't think the NFLPA is blameless either). But this post was just about my disappointment with the lack of critique on Judge Nelson's refusal to consider temporary protections for the NFL owners during the interim phase as this legal case gets worked out. I felt Nelson's refusal to consider some kind of stay borders on irresponsible judicial ideological activism and hope the 8th Court moves quickly to institute protections for the interim.

Because as it stands now, unless the owners are extremely careful, it's going to create a lot of legal complications. ....starting with today's NFL draft. And in the end it's going to be the trial lawyers that benefit the most.

There. That's better. Way too much work to get the thread formatted right though. Well,for this time of the morning anyway.

Oh and Wyvern. It would also be appreciated if you left the politics part of that response out of that response. Thanks.

I love some people defending the owners, they opted out of the CBA

Now they are subject to free market rules and do not want to be subject to and call it not fair

I would laugh if the Republican appt judges say yeah the free market is not fair and business owners can engage in collusion and violate anti trust laws, because what they would be saying is the free markets with rules does not work.

I thought it was an ok article. Sally clearly showed her bias and slanted the piece just a bit.

That said, her point about the greed of the owners is spot on. Of course the players are partly to blame, but the owners are leading this train wreck.

What the owners need to do is get this out of the courts, and the more greedy trial lawyers, and solve this issue at the bargaining table with the players. Probably wishful thinking, however.

Stating the obvious does not require too much fortitude for Ms. Jenkins. Most of us realize that the NFL owners, especially the mid and small market owners, are pushing this legal pursuit. They want more money from the large market teams and a larger piece of the pie from the players shares.

The owners really don't have a strategy other than using the courts to address their greed. If the owners are sincere about their escalating expenses they should have began documenting it years ago after the last CBA. They definitely were out to bust the union. But the players were smart enough to play legalism with the owners and thus far have come out on top. What will the owners do next?

I think the owners should make a deal, HOWEVER, I believe the players need to make one concession as well: ROOKIE WAGE SCALE.

It's not fair, and nearly disgusting, that an unproven player can make boku guaranteed money prior to ever playing a down.

Why not limit rookie contracts to a max of say, a "paltry" $5 million or less per season, depending on your draft spot. Rookie contracts limited to 2 years with an option for a third at the same compensation level. By new league rule, teams would have to guarantee rookie money. If you play well, you get paid big after 2/3 years. If not, well, you are still a rich man by most standards.

JaMarcus Russell types are not fair to owners, or other mid-level players. It makes me ill.

I think the owners should make a deal, HOWEVER, I believe the players need to make one concession as well: ROOKIE WAGE SCALE.

It's not fair, and nearly disgusting, that an unproven player can make boku guaranteed money prior to ever playing a down.

Why not limit rookie contracts to a max of say, a "paltry" $5 million or less per season, depending on your draft spot. Rookie contracts limited to 2 years with an option for a third at the same compensation level. By new league rule, teams would have to guarantee rookie money. If you play well, you get paid big after 2/3 years. If not, well, you are still a rich man by most standards.

JaMarcus Russell types are not fair to owners, or other mid-level players. It makes me ill.

Agreed. The NFL needs to adopt the rookie salary model from the NBA. If the player performs well after the first few years, then he will be rewarded with a ballin' contract.

I think they eventually will but with so much other stuff on the table they need to use it as a bargaining chip. I usually side with the owners in most of these discussions but in this case I think the owners are at fault.

Agreed. The NFL needs to adopt the rookie salary model from the NBA. If the player performs well after the first few years, then he will be rewarded with a ballin' contract.

The problem with that is the RBs ... their productive years are typically early in their career when their raw athleticism is at its peak.

Archived