Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happened with Larry Weisman? (no longer employed by the team)

@DCGoldPants

I have to disagree with Steinberg. I don't consider those statements as "sharply critical". Certainly critical but his statements sounded pretty objective and straight forward. The Redskins clearly have much less talent right now than any of the other three teams in the division. I suppose it is sharply critical in comparison to Larry Michael and his usual take. But Steinberg is trying to use a single event to explain the dismissal when he does not know. At least, unlike McKenna, he sought out a response from the Skins prior to trying to assume why Weisman was dismissed.

It will be interesting to hear what Weisberg has to say on Thursday. I also thought it was interesting to read that it was Swanson and Vinnie that pushed to bring Weisman in to Redskins.com and Redskins Nation. Curious why everyone wants to blame Snyder when Bruce Allen and Tony Wylie would be the more likely ones involved in such a decision.

I have to disagree with Steinberg. I don't consider those statements as "sharply critical". Certainly critical but his statements sounded pretty objective and straight forward. The Redskins clearly have much less talent right now than any of the other three teams in the division. I suppose it is sharply critical in comparison to Larry Michael and his usual take. But Steinberg is trying to use a single event to explain the dismissal when he does not know. At least, unlike McKenna, he sought out a response from the Skins prior to trying to assume why Weisman was dismissed.

It will be interesting to hear what Weisberg has to say on Thursday. I also thought it was interesting to read that it was Swanson and Vinnie that pushed to bring Weisman in to Redskins.com and Redskins Nation. Curious why everyone wants to blame Snyder when Bruce Allen and Tony Wylie would be the more likely ones involved in such a decision.

Allen and Wylie WORK FOR Danny Boy and if you think they made a move like that without consulting Danny Boy, then you are completely clueless. Weisman didn't turn out to be the house man that they wanted. They wanted another Larry Michael only with better journalistic credentials. However, Weisman had some principles and wouldn't say black when things were white. So they got rid of him. Business as usual at Redskins Park..................

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

You are right, Larry says they said "they wanted to move in another direction". You distort that to ASSUME it is something nefarious. You are making something up when you have no freakin' clue. Were you there at the meeting? Do you know Larry personally and he shared the reason for his dismissal? NO. I'm not going to guess at something when I have no information on the subject of his dismissal. Just like you should not either. It is nothing more than spreading more lies.

Steinberg suggested the same thing as I did. So he's lying too? Your attempt to be a Danny Boy apologist are getting a bit strained. I suggest that my opinion on this is much more consistent with the way things have worked at Redskins Park since Danny boy took over than yours.......

I agree with the group that liked Larry W. I know he will land on his own two feet with another organization. I hope we find out soon where he goes so we can still read his articles. I used to read him in USAToday and he knew his football.

The Skins really need stability and this front office still does not seem to realize how important that is for this franchise. Where are the leaders inside the Redskins organization who could have said internally-Does this make sense to let Larry go?

Allen and Wylie WORK FOR Danny Boy and if you think they made a move like that without consulting Danny Boy, then you are completely clueless. Weisman didn't turn out to be the house man that they wanted. They wanted another Larry Michael only with better journalistic credentials. However, Weisman had some principles and wouldn't say black when things were white. So they got rid of him. Business as usual at Redskins Park..................

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

Steinberg suggested the same thing as I did. So he's lying too? Your attempt to be a Danny Boy apologist are getting a bit strained. I suggest that my opinion on this is much more consistent with the way things have worked at Redskins Park since Danny boy took over than yours.......

Your personal bias is straining the credibility of facts. Continue to go through life making assumptions based on surface information and you will be wrong repeatedly. Let's let Larry say Thursday what happened rather than you making up stuff with no information.

Your personal bias is straining the credibility of facts. Continue to go through life making assumptions based on surface information and you will be wrong repeatedly. Let's let Larry say Thursday what happened rather than you making up stuff with no information.

Larry already said he didn't know what happened. That's on the record.............

So the two guys who wanted Larry Weisman at Redskins.com are no longer with the team...and now neither is he.

It could simply be that the new guys wouldn't have hired LW and really do want to go in a different direction. Could also be that they found out some damaging stuff behind the scenes concerning LW (what it could be, I dunno)...

I highly doubt it was Snyder throwing a hissy fit cuz LW wouldn't blow smoke and rainbows up everyone's collective ass, though lol.

So the two guys who wanted Larry Weisman at Redskins.com are no longer with the team...and now neither is he.

It could simply be that the new guys wouldn't have hired LW and really do want to go in a different direction. Could also be that they found out some damaging stuff behind the scenes concerning LW (what it could be, I dunno)...

I highly doubt it was Snyder throwing a hissy fit cuz LW wouldn't blow smoke and rainbows up everyone's collective ass, though lol.

Sure, I can't imagine Danny boy having a hissy fit and doing irrational things at all. See his Citypaper lawsuit.................

Sure, I can't imagine Danny boy having a hissy fit and doing irrational things at all. See his Citypaper lawsuit.................

If Snyder were gonna throw a hissy fit over McKenna's printed criticisms about him, he would have done it a helluva long time ago. Either that, or you'd have to 'splain why those first 54 City Paper articles slamming him against the wall didn't register on his Hissy Fit meter lol...

If the reason is as he says--that the 55th article inacurately claimed he was "caught" committing a felony and wouldn't retract it--I wouldn't call suing over that fact "irrational". He would hardly be the first or the last to do so.

Maybe Larry Weisman got canned for leaking our first-round pick, two weeks before the draft?

redskins.com

Purdue's Kerrigan Could Fit a 3-4 Scheme

By Larry Weisman

Posted Apr 14, 2011

Editor's note: Leading up to the NFL Draft, Redskins.com's Larry Weisman profiles some of the Redskins' potential draft targets in the first round and beyond. Up next: defensive end/linebacker Ryan Kerrigan:

The Redskins put a special emphasis on creating turnovers last season and increased their number of takeaways from a league-low 17 in 2009 to 27.

That’s Ryan Kerrigan’s game.

The Purdue University defensive end forced 14 fumbles in his college career, which ties the Big 10 record. Ten came over the last two seasons. He also managed to ring up 33.5 sacks for the Boilermakers.

“Our motto at Purdue was it’s not enough just to get the sack or get the tackle, but you wanted to force a fumble and get the ball back for your offense," Kerrigan said. "We tried to do that every game.

"I think it was just a transfer of training from the practice field to the game field. We really emphasized tomahawking the ball when you got the ball carrier. I think it just carried over from practice to the game.”

Like many of the other defensive ends available in the draft, Kerrigan also gets eyed as a possible outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. That would be a new wrinkle in his game.

“I feel like I’m a good pass rusher. I can get after the passer. But I’m also athletic enough to drop into coverage and be able to cover tight ends and wide receivers,” he said.

He took part not only in the drills for defensive ends but those for the linebackers as well at the Indianapolis scouting combine and his stock continues to rise. He could easily be selected in the top half of the first round, by a 3-4 team as well as a 4-3 team.

“Both are looking at me,” he said. “Whatever teams wants me to play, I’ll play.”

The teaching at Purdue of techniques that cause fumbles drove Kerrigan to study his position, and the way top NFL players play it.

“We really watched a lot of guys who were really successful in the NFL and see how they handle their business from the pass-rushing standpoint, from a force-fumble standpoint,” he said. “That taught us how to do things in college.”

Kerrigan is 6-4, 267 pounds. His weight is not overwhelming for his position but he cranked out 31 reps of 220 pounds on the bench at Indy. For that and almost everything else, he thanks the coaches at Purdue.

“We had a great strength program and that’s helped me become the player I am,” he said.

Ditto for the approach to hassling quarterbacks.

“We were brought up really well on how to get out on the edge of blockers and really how to get up field on pass rushing and I think that translates well to the next level,” he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry Weisman, an award-winning journalist during 25 years with USA TODAY, writes for Redskins.com and appears nightly on Redskins Nation on Comcast SportsNet. Read his Redskinsblitz blog at Redskinsrule.com and follow him on Tw

itter.com/LarryWeisman.

If Snyder were gonna throw a hissy fit over McKenna's printed criticisms about him, he would have done it a helluva long time ago. Either that, or you'd have to 'splain why those first 54 City Paper articles slamming him against the wall didn't register on his Hissy Fit meter lol...

If the reason is as he says--that the 55th article inacurately claimed he was "caught" committing a felony and wouldn't retract it--I wouldn't call suing over that fact "irrational". He would hardly be the first or the last to do so.

It is certainly irrational if it perpetuates his image as a billionaire bully with a Napoleon complex (it does), cause hundreds of thousands of more people to read the article (it did) and has no chance of success. It is just Danny Boy throwing a hissy fit.

Archived