Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BGO.C.D. - Jane, You Ignorant Slut...

Tarhog

Like that infamous SNL ‘Point/Counterpoint’ spoof, the NFL Draft debate among Redskins fans has never been hotter.

To go QB or not to go QB – that is the question.

The answer is undeniably, unswervingly, inarguably clear.

Yes. And No.

The NFL draft is fascinating. Despite the ravenous appetite of fans and media-types alike for all-things-draft, the histrionics, second-guessing, and hysterical analysis of whether a given team made an ingenious selection, or crippled the franchise for years to come is really an exercise in futility. It can take years to deem a draft a success or failure.

Redskin’s fans ought to remember that. There’s nothing easier than emphatically pronouncing a team’s selection a ‘blown pick’. Yet fans and sports media talking heads are dead-wrong about NFL prospects as often as they are spot on in their prognostications.

The Redskins absolutely, positively, desperately need a franchise quarterback. And they don’t. I can make a compelling case for those diametrically opposite contentions.

For the better part of a decade, the Redskins have tried for the big fix – that one pick, that elusive missing piece that will magically solve all their problems and vault the franchise to the kind of rampant, sustained on-the-field glory that fans enjoyed during the golden era of Redskins football. No one has loved ‘the sexy pick’ more than our Washington Redskins. Whether acquiring stars in free agency for a king’s ransom, or tossing away picks on crap-shoot players (Jordan Palmer anyone?), the Redskins have tried to short-cut their way to NFL success.

It doesn’t work that way.

With a coach and GM in Ashburn who I believe ‘get it’, look for a Redskins rebuild that looks a lot more like steady competence than fantasy football.

But that doesn’t mean our Redskins won’t try and draft a franchise quarterback next Thursday night...

Click HERE to read the rest

The last line sums up how I feel and how I felt last year in the draft. Whatever we do, we have people who actually "get it" as you put it, and I'll be happy no matter what.

Also, nice to see that you're still around. :)

Yeah, I think sometimes we take for granted that Mike Shanahan is our coach. We're really lucky to have him.

The last line sums up how I feel and how I felt last year in the draft. Whatever we do, we have people who actually "get it" as you put it, and I'll be happy no matter what.

Also, nice to see that you're still around. :)

Thanks my friend. Occasionally, I even post here when I'm not pimping my little blog! :) As for the draft, the bad news is, we have a huge number of holes to fill. The good news is, we have a huge number of holes to fill. If we take a great athlete, we'll almost undoubtedly be a better team when the curtain closes Thursday night. I just wish we had more picks.

Let me post some reminders: Draft picks in the Snyder era: Colt Brennan, Jordan Palmer. Jason Campbell, Gibran Hamdan, Patrick Ramsey, Sage Rosenfels, Todd Husak. 7 QB's for those with short memories.

Let me post some more reminders: QB's traded in the Snyder era that cost the Skins draft picks: Mark Brunell, John Beck, Donovan McNabb. 3 QB's traded for - 4 draft picks gone.

The draft picks included two first round picks. The Skins have tried the "Get the QB first, then get the supporting cast:" method at least twice in the last10 years. The Redskins just always failed to follow through on getting the supporting cast. They've tried it through trading for the aged veteran, again without getting them supporting cast. With the newly drafted, the lack of an offensive line turned an able QB at the beginning of his career into a wild-eyed guy with happy feet after being coninually planted in the Fedex turf. With "the aging QB who still has the fire of competition in his eye" the Skins have taken Pro-Bowlers and made them look like very old men after opposing defenses tap dance on their skulls every week.

How many times do the Skins want to try a new QB withut getting a decent OL or more than one WR to throw to? Try, try again may work for children. Drafting yet another QB again for the Redskins just seems dumb. Can we try the other method just once? That is, can you try to find a supporitng cast before you ruin another QB?

Just curious. Personally, I am constantly fascinated watching train wrecks in slow mo.

I could not agree more with the last post. Forget about a quarterback and build a team. Football is the ultimate team sport, there is no Peyton manning in this draft class but it looks like their are a lot of solid players in first three rounds, that make your TEAM more equipped to be competitive.

I agree to an extent Bill - but the question is, did those guys fail because there wasn't enough talent around them, or because they couldn't do anything with the talent around them. Let's face it - there's not a sure fire QB in that bunch. They didn't succeed here, and they never made a hint of noise anywhere else either. Brunell is the exception, and he played well enough to at least get us to the playoffs a couple of times. So I'm not sure that the issue is that the Redskins tried to find their QB first. I think they failed to find a real QB.

Like I said in my blog entry - you have to have the supporting cast, and you have to have a QB (eventually). They aren't mutually exclusive. The problem with building the supporting cast first is, you begin to improve, and by doing so, may find it pretty difficult to get a top tier sure-fire QB (to the extent there is such a thing). Going that route doesn't make it impossible to find 'the guy', but it may make it harder. If anything, ut may have been the Redskins reaches for franchise QBs in later rounds that was the failed approach, not that they used picks on one. The line between sufficient talent to be a real NFL starting QB and a has-been career backup is pretty narrow. At some point the Redskins have to find a guy who's on the right side of that line.

I do hear you though.

I think most of this misses the real point, in that the problems are that we haven't really stuck to a plan longer than 2 years. Even Gibbs changed things up a couple years in. Under those conditions, it is hard to build anything.

The argument is somewhat moot, because you need the best players you can get on your team. If the best player at our draft pick is a QB, then you must pick him. If it is not, then go another direction. Fact is, there are a lot of positions that need to be filled on this team before we can say it can challenge for a playoff spot. It is why trading for McNabb was a braindead decision. The QB position by itself isn't going to be the savior of this team. While perhaps McNabb could have raised the level of this team a bit, it wasn't going to be for long enough to make much of a difference. As we saw, we probably would have been better off with Grossman back there. Maybe with the same record, but with two more picks that we could have used to get us that much closer to a roster we want.

Personally, I don't know if we should go QB or not on Thursday, but I do hope we pick the right player and that we have the patience to see it out, no matter what the choice.

Longshot - I must not have articulated my thoughts as well as I could have, because what you're saying is essentially my entire point. One comment on McNabb - I don't think Shanahan ever saw him as an 'answer'. He saw the chance to get a placeholder QB who had a pretty damn good resume who could hold down the QB position until he found a long-term solution there. At the time, the cost looked like a bargain. But I don't think Shanahan realized how much McNabb would struggle in a new system (whatever one might chalk those struggles up to). I think Shanahan thought McNabb could easily fill that role for at least 3 years or so. That was a miscalculation and obviously in retrospect, we'd have been far better off using those draft picks on other areas of need.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Any QB drafted by the Skins this year wont play until 2012. The lockout debacle has pretty much assured that. So that gives the team 6 draft picks this year, at least 8 that we have for next year plus two years of free agency in which to build a team around Locker, Ponder, Dalton, etc....

Ultimately though, I think it’s a sucker’s choice. It’s not either/or. We need a franchise quarterback. And we need the supporting cast to give him a chance to grow and eventually thrive. We need it all. In what order and how we acquire the pieces of that winning recipe don’t matter.

Ding!

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action. - Frank Herbert

Archived