Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospect:Tyrod Taylor

darrelgreenie

The 2011 Redskins might be in the market to acquire a QB in the upcoming draft and there are several good prospects.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of the QBs by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media and draft sites.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss the top prospects in action.

The springboard for the discussion will be the commonly available game cut-ups (not highlights) on youtube and may extend to torrents (if there's interest).

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

5284491422_d1094fbff3_t.jpg

2010: Virginia Tech vs. Florida State: ACC Championship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb0Aa6NF-3w&feature=related

This is a very truncated version that will be updated time permitting.

Thoughts/Additions/Game Commentary are welcome.

Edit: Found a better non-highlight oriented game cut-up:

Virginia Tech O vs North Carolina D 2010

Thanks for starting this thread DG, Taylor is my third favorite QB in this draft behind Mallet, and Newton!

What I see in Taylor is a QB that is a much better passer than he is given credit for. FSU threw a lot at him this game, man blitzes, zone blitzes, dropping 8 back in coverage etc, and he handled gr of it. You could tell he recognized the looks he was getting and where to go with the ball, and he was getting it there accurately and on time. You also can see that Taylor understands how to create space for himself in the pocket and find the throwing lanes. This is important for a QB his size, like Brees, and Vick, Taylor gets away from center very quickly, and gets great depth on his drops, allowing him to see the field clearly, also he always seemed on balance when he threw, even when he was throwing on the run...

I look forward to yours and MartinC's breakdowns....

Watching that noticed two things

Taylor showed some great touch on his passes and nice accuracy outside of two real throws one was low to Coale and he couldn't get any YAC after it. The other was the pass to Davis that was a little off as well and Davis made a good catch

In terms of QB qualities rating them out of 5 on each here's what I'd give him

Arm Strength: 3.5

Accuracy 4

Mobility 5

Pocket Awareness: 4

Taylor is a guy I take in the 5th round if there and develop because he can be a starter if he's develop properly, and if he doesn't make it as a QB, he can make it in other ways, IE Punt Return, Slash receiver, wildcat guy

A guy you take and develop to see where he goes from there

Yeah I really like things I saw from Taylor, he definitely improved a lot this past college season. I dont want to compare him to Vick because of the school and the style of play becauses thats too obvious, but his improvement looked kind of like Vick's, atleast to me. Firt few seasons Tyrod looked to be run first and this past year he looked to run only to get someone else open. If the Skins dont get another QB in the first or second I really like the idea of Tyrod coming in to be developed. I have a feeling the top three QBs could all be busts (Newton, Mallet, Gabbert) and the next tier could be pretty decent (Locker, Ponder, Dalton) But who knows. I would be MUCH happier to get Tyrod in the 5th or later than spend an early pick on those other guys that aren't surefire top quarterbacks.. big bust potential on them

I really liked what I saw from these clips. He reminds of a very mobile, elusive Tim Hasslebeck (nice short and medium throws) and gets the offense moving with tempo. I'm not sure how solid his long passing game is, and whether he can increase the pace on the ball to compensate for the speed of the NFL game and especially the NFL DBs.

He looked good, and should probably be available in the later rounds. I'm curious whether Shanahan/Allen have considered him for their roster.

I notice a number of things when I watch Tyrod's game.

I love that even when he is forced out of the pocket, he keeps his eyes down field.

He appears to throw on the run as well if not better than Locker.

He has great touch on his underneath and intermediate range passes, as well as good accuracy on throws down the field.

His arm strength is severely underrated.

Excellent at moving the pocket and keeping broken plays alive.

His escapability is unparalleled.

At the end of a big run, he doesn't try to take out would be tacklers. he preserves his body by getting out of bounds. Something Lockers hasnt figured out.

Appears to be a great team leader.

4 year starter at a top program, any a relatively tough conference has to account for something.

I really like what Tyrod could potentially bring to our team if selected.

Tyrod's senior year showed a LOT of great stuff, and he's only been improving the past 3 years. He started out as a pure Michael Vick clone who ran first and developed into a passer first who knew he could run past you if he wanted to. He is a LOT faster and more accurate than he seems, and he rarely threw interceptions. There were certain throws he zipped in that surprised me. I trusted him fully with the VT offense, and had we won the Boise game, I'm certain he would have been in the talks for the Heisman.

Like people have already said, with the right development he would be very effective. Eventually, he has to tools to become like Vick is now with the Eagles. He can become true dual threat QB and he is a lot more durable.

Over the past 2 seasons, he threw 36 touchdowns for almost 5000 yards, rushed for 10 touchdowns and 1007 yards, and threw only 9 interceptions. That is awesome imo. This is my official endorsement for Tyrod Taylor as the future franchise QB of the Washington Redskins!

I would not mind picking up Tyrod in the later rounds and maybe develop him in to a good backup quarterback.

If we draft him, i think the best situation for him would be to use him as a Brad Smith type player of the jets. A very good athlete who can play wr/qb/rb and who can take snaps every now and then and have designed plays where he can run it or try and toss one deep.

Heres a clip of Brad Smith:

IMO he can be coached up to become a starter down the line.

There are some good things about his game. Pocket awareness, overall arm strength, keeps eyes down field, great person, great leader. Has the Tim Tebow intangibles without the random promises at press conferences

Bad things about his game: He is short (not a midget but has trouble seeing over the LOS) holds the ball way too long for my liking, takes uneccessary sacks, lacks consistant deep ball touch.

VT homerism aside, I do think he would be a quality mid round developmental pick with a high ceiling

I like him. I see another team liking him too, as a developmental guy, and taking him a little early... maybe late 3rd or 4th. There's a lot to work with here, but ultimately his height and playing style will push him down.

He's better than some of the prospects rated above him.

I'm biased because I've known him since he was 6 years old. I think Bill Polian said it best about QB's. They have to have heart! Whatever he lacks in height (which is better than Vick or Brees) he more than makes up for with heart, determination and character. Since he was a little guy all he ever thought about was being a QB. His leadership and toughness are two very important intangibles. He has great parents who have been nurturing, supportive and taught him well.

But can he play for the Redskins? I really think he can. McNabb was only an inch taller. No one said much about that. But think about this brand of offense. Gregg Williams talked about it when we played vs Shanny when he was still at Denver. 'Man it's boot-a-rama!' You know with Turner and Shanny the running game will be fixed. Now, just imagine Tyrod out on the edge with Vick-like speed and athleticism. I think he can play. And we could probably get him in the third round.

Regardless, we should NOT let Philly get him!!!! The only way we beat them the first time is by knocking Vick out of the game. And he murdered us the second game! If the Eagles end up with a Vick like back up then it will be a long year for everyone.

tRxJEGQ8Gws

Tyrod's my favorite college player of all time, so excuse my homerism but seeing him as a Redskin would be absolutely phenomenal.

Tyrod is probably my favorite prospect in this draft he reminds me of Colt McCoy meets Mike Vick.

Vick was my favorite player so it was cool to see him helping Tyrod out and its actually a big deal for teams execs and scouts to see that Tyrod is actually a taller then Vick.

Its funny I was listening to Colin Cowherd (whom I normally dislike) but he was talking about how people don't realize how much of a good dude Vick was/is and him helping Tyrod out is a good example.

It was cool how Vick was encouraging and boosting Tyrod up saying that Tyrod was throwing with more ease then he himself could, although it most likely isn't true.

Thanks DMH for posting this.

I have 3 for the show on my DVR but now I'm definetely gonna watch it.

I thought it was cool that the QB coach was talking about how TT knows so much more about calling out protections/audibles/hot routes etc than Mike and Marcus Vick did.

Even though Marcus turned out to be a total bust and a complete douche, he was a really big recruit coming into Tech as well.

I can't believe how under the radar this dude is flying he imo is one of the better QBs in this draft class.

Updated 4/6/11

QB Eval-----Acc------- Arm------Ath/Esc------Drop/Foot-----Exp---Play------- Prod/Eff-------Size----Throw----AVG

Dalton........3.5...........3..........3.25...............3.............3.5...3.5...............4............3..........5.......3.53

Gabbert.......3...........4............3..................3..............3........3..............3............5.........5........3.5

J.Johnson.....3...........3.............4................3.5............3........4..............3.............4........2.5........3.3

Kaeprnick......3.........4.5...........4.................2.5............3........4..............4.............4..........2........3.4

Locker..........3...........4.5...........4.................4..............3.......5...............3............4..........5......3.94

Mallett..........4............5.............1.................5.............3.5.......1.............4............4...........4......3.5

Newton........3............5.............4.................2.5............1.5.......5.............5............5...........4......3.8

Ponder.........3............3...........3.................5..............4........3...............3..........4.25......3.5.......3.52

Stanzi.........3.25..........3............3.................5.............3.5.......3..............4...........4.5.......3......3.58

Ty Taylor........3............3............5................3.5..............4........5.............4............2.........3......3.61

I would love to get Tyrod as a developmental QB.

His height is killing him, even though he's taller than Brees and Vick and only an inch shorter than McNabb.

Outside of Vick, Tech hasn't produced any NFL QBs.

In general, dual-threat QBs are usually thought less of because they aren't usually successful in the NFL.

I think he'll surprise people. Trust me, had he gone to Florida instead of VT (which was a possibility) he would have put up some insane numbers with the talent that would have been around him at UF. Beamer's philosophy is run-first, which doesn't help with TT's stats. Plus, our offensive line has always been weak.

I think if he were to get onto an NFL team with some legit protection he would surprise people.

His height is killing him, even though he's taller than Brees and Vick and only an inch shorter than McNabb.

Outside of Vick, Tech hasn't produced any NFL QBs.

In general, dual-threat QBs are usually thought less of because they aren't usually successful in the NFL.

I think he'll surprise people. Trust me, had he gone to Florida instead of VT (which was a possibility) he would have put up some insane numbers with the talent that would have been around him at UF. Beamer's philosophy is run-first, which doesn't help with TT's stats. Plus, our offensive line has always been weak.

I think if he were to get onto an NFL team with some legit protection he would surprise people.

I actually believe that being seen side by side with Vick and being visibly taller then Vick is gonna help his draft stock.

Its so crazy but I think his athleticism hurts his draft scout as QB because some teams will be so blinded by his ability in space.

My favorite sleeper

A sleeper is hard to identify in a world where every player is on the Internet and every prospect is discussed for months. No one is talking about Tyrod Taylor from Virginia Tech as a QB candidate, but rather a wide receiver, running back and return man. I interviewed him after watching the Florida State game when he threw three touchdowns. He is much more focused on being a quarterback, and his 44 career touchdown passes is four more than Gabbert and 18 more than Newton. Someone is going to give this guy a chance to take a snap. By the way, he also rushed for 2,200 yards and 23 touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f297a6/article/qbneedy-teams-might-wait-to-find-their-guy-in-round-2?module=HP_spotlight

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f297a6/article/qbneedy-teams-might-wait-to-find-their-guy-in-round-2?module=HP_spotlight

I see a lot of similarities in Tyrod Taylor to Troy Smith.

6' 220lb out of Ohio State as a 5th round pick. He finished college at around 60% completion. 670 passing attempts - 1,197 rushing yds in 3 yrs. (quick wikipedia search) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Smith

Had some descent plays last year with the 49ers but who knows what lies ahead for him. If he's drafted by the redskins I'm sure there will be a quick cult forming.

I attend VT and I've never even considered him to be a starting QB prospect. I think his main issues are that he runs but that has been covered but he holds the ball way way way too long. There is no way he can hold the ball anywhere near that long in the NFL, quick decisions need to be made and I really doubt he can do that without a ton of coaching. I think the Troy Smith comparison is quite fair and would not bet on Tyrod to accomplish anything in the NFL. I do appreciate what he has done for the Hokies though!

I see a lot of similarities in Tyrod Taylor to Troy Smith.

Had some descent plays last year with the 49ers but who knows what lies ahead for him. If he's drafted by the redskins I'm sure there will be a quick cult forming.

Interesting comparison but Tyrod is taller and it might not seem like a big deal, it is.

Smith is barely 6 foot.

I think Tyrod is much more athletic and a much more dynamic playmaker.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 12:07 PM ----------

I attend VT and I've never even considered him to be a starting QB prospect. I think his main issues are that he runs but that has been covered but he holds the ball way way way too long. There is no way he can hold the ball anywhere near that long in the NFL, quick decisions need to be made and I really doubt he can do that without a ton of coaching.
If you think holding the ball to long was a problem that's the right kind of problem for a prospect to have because its coachable problem that a lot of playmaking QBs have.

Archived