Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vince Young an option at QB?

Rpredskins

TK, if you had to put money on it which way do you think the Skins will go with their QB?

Not McNabb. :)

VY has been mentioned. So has Hassleback & about every other to be Free Agent.

Originally I hated the thought of VY here. But Mike's known to take chances with a problem child or two. Maurice C for one. Cutler. Romonowski. All perceived as head cases. So I warmed to the idea of VY which would allow us to fill other needs in the draft. I just wouldn't want VY getting anywhere near his buddy Al as its a recipe for disaster.

Not McNabb. :)

VY has been mentioned. So has Hassleback & about every other to be Free Agent.

Originally I hated the thought of VY here. But Mike's known to take chances with a problem child or two. Maurice C for one. Cutler. Romonowski. All perceived as head cases. So I warmed to the idea of VY which would allow us to fill other needs in the draft. I just wouldn't want VY getting anywhere near his buddy Al as its a recipe for disaster.

Is Rex a lock to resign or do we look elsewhere such as a Bulger or any of the veterans while our rookie develops. Thanks

Man I hope not. VY not only has a questionable skillset... he also has character flaws. Take those facts and combine them with the fact that most high profile FAs usually stink up the joint when they come here.. and we have a potential disaster.

I have thought about this as well. And if Vince was being cut due to finances that would be one thing but I do not think that Shannahan would want a QB that is mentally fragile. I think VY's game would probably translate well to the play action bootleg system but I don't think he has the mental make up to deal with things, especially not now. He may need to sit a year and get coached up a bit first.

I have given thought to Alex Smith. Similar situation to JC with a revolving door at OC and not much support. He has shown flashes and has the skill set for the Shannahan system. If you pass on QB in the round 1 is he better than the rest? Or maybe you still go QB in round 2 and either Smith, Grossman or Beck (these 3 fight it out for the other 2 roster spots) hold down the fort for a year or two while the youngster develops.

HTTR

I think vy will eventually make a lot of people eat crow. Maybe not this season but eventually I think he will turn his career around and be successful. The guy has all the talent in the world if he just gets his mind right the sky is the limit. I wouldn't be mad if we signed him. The guy has made the pro bowl and took his team to the playoffs and I think he can do it again. It was just one season ago he took over for Collins and almost made the playoffs after his team started what 0-6 or something like that?

With the issues VY had in Tennessee and basically seeminly causing their HC to resign I don't think it would be in our best interest to sign him. JMO.

I don't put that squarely on VY. Frankly, I think Fisher is extremely overrated. His infatuation with Kerry Collins inspite of VY's superior record was absolutely ridiculous.

---------- Post added April-22nd-2011 at 01:27 AM ----------

I have thought about this as well. And if Vince was being cut due to finances that would be one thing but I do not think that Shannahan would want a QB that is mentally fragile. I think VY's game would probably translate well to the play action bootleg system but I don't think he has the mental make up to deal with things, especially not now. He may need to sit a year and get coached up a bit first.

I have given thought to Alex Smith. Similar situation to JC with a revolving door at OC and not much support. He has shown flashes and has the skill set for the Shannahan system. If you pass on QB in the round 1 is he better than the rest? Or maybe you still go QB in round 2 and either Smith, Grossman or Beck (these 3 fight it out for the other 2 roster spots) hold down the fort for a year or two while the youngster develops.

HTTR

I can see how he can be perceived as mentally fragile, but can you really be that fragile while making plays in the comeback situations he's been in? He;s been a part of a lot of last minute comeback drives from what I recall and it doesn't get much more stressful than that.

I can see how he can be perceived as mentally fragile, but can you really be that fragile while making plays in the comeback situations he's been in? He;s been a part of a lot of last minute comeback drives from what I recall and it doesn't get much more stressful than that.

Agreed, those are stressful situations but it is different when the stress is on the person and not the game. That is situational between the lines stress. When people start going after him I think that is what sets him off and where he can use some mental toughness. Maybe emotional toughness is a better term. He is emotionally fragile.

Anyone give any consideration to signing him(preferably on the cheap) and let him play while the young guy develops. Pray VY has a good year, and then deal him for picks. I would view it as your standard buy low, sell high scenario. Too risky? Fischer has never really been known for developing QB's anyway.

It could turn into a Mike Vick situation. If VY really matures and develops into a franchise QB, you look to deal the new blood and keep VY. There is definitely a great amount of boom potential with that scenario.

Agreed, those are stressful situations but it is different when the stress is on the person and not the game. That is situational between the lines stress. When people start going after him I think that is what sets him off and where he can use some mental toughness. Maybe emotional toughness is a better term. He is emotionally fragile.

I can see that. I think he's the type that needs to know the coaching staff supports him and with Fisher in love with Collins, he didn't feel that in Tennessee and reacted poorly. I do think that Fisher has gotten a free pass in this situation from the media who for some reason is in love with the guy.

You sign him to a smaller contract, and can cut him at any time. Where's the risk in signing him? I'd sign him no matter what we do, otherwise, at the position. I'd let him and Grossman battle it out for the starting gig, while Locker or Ponder or whoever sits and learns on the bench.

And at the first sign of trouble or off-field ridiculousness, I cut him. No biggie.

Dude's got talent, he's a winner in the right situation, and there's almost no risk in giving him a shot. You just have to hope that he gets his head on straight and realizes what's on the line...and you help facilitate that.

Its not like he's Jamarcus Russell, being dropped by a famous life coach for being such a **** head.

Actually those two minute drill situations in the hurry up offense are often more about instinct and letting natural talent take over. There is not time to start thinking too much or second guessing. It's when a player has time to think during and between games that you find out more about temperament and ability to deal with pressure. VY has big question marks on this score.

We all saw that Kyle struggled to adjust his scheme and play calling with an athletic QB who succeeds based on making big plays but who has accuracy issues and is inconsistent. Makes no sense to me to bring in another QB in the same mold.

Actually those two minute drill situations in the hurry up offense are often more about instinct and letting natural talent take over. There is not time to start thinking too much or second guessing. It's when a player has time to think during and between games that you find out more about temperament and ability to deal with pressure. VY has big question marks on this score.

We all saw that Kyle struggled to adjust his scheme and play calling with an athletic QB who succeeds based on making big plays but who has accuracy issues and is inconsistent. Makes no sense to me to bring in another QB in the same mold.

Got to disagree. Maybe at the start of the 2 minute drill but I've seen him come through on 4th down numerous times with the game on the line. No matter That's pressure.

Check out this drive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1afGNVkIGPQ

3 4th down conversions....

And when VY gets benched for a guy like Grossman he won't handle it like McNabb did. He'll have a mental breakdown and spiral because he simply isn't mature enough. And we don't need that drama.

Got to disagree. Maybe at the start of the 2 minute drill but I've seen him come through on 4th down numerous times with the game on the line. No matter That's pressure.

Check out this drive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1afGNVkIGPQ

3 4th down conversions....

He made some big plays in that drive no question - clearly there is pressure when faced with a 4th down inside your own 20 and the game on the line. But it's a very different kind of pressure to sitting on the sideline hearing the boos or having a coach chew you out because you missed a read. Even more so sitting at home reading the papers or watching TV shows dissect you.

When you are on the field you get the call and you are reacting to what you see and executing.

By the way impressive in it's own way the drive was it also shows examples of why I would not want him as my QB. He gets into 4th down a couple of times by missing on timing passes which he should really hit.

I think Jeff Fischer was correct when he suggested that the Titans would be a better team without Vince Young. I have always like Young, but the Skins would not be a good place for him. Too much pressure playing the QB position and Vince doesn't seem to be the right guy to handle the pressure cooker.

Minnesota or San Francisco would be a better fit.

Archived