Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor - Redskins Already Have 2 Trade-Down Pacts In Place To Gain a 2nd Rounder

3 Rings

This solidifies or OL so we can get Andrew Luck next year!

this whole get Luck drill next year which I read from time to time, sounds great, but to me it seems fantasy or at best a long shot. We are unlikely to be the worst team in the NFL this year. Kiper says Luck is the surest QB in the draft since Elway so somehow the team that's in position to take potentially the next Peyton Manning will take a pass and trade the pick. Can you imagine how they explain that to their fan base? I'd love it but it seems beyond far fetched. Only shot I can see is if it happens to be one of the teams this year that takes lets say Newton and Gabbert and neither looks like a bust and they in turn would look to trade their pick because they don't need a QB -- if so it will take quite a bounty of trade picks to obtain the be all and end all Qb propsect.

this whole get Luck drill next year which I read from time to time, sounds great, but to me it seems fantasy or at best a long shot. We are unlikely to be the worst team in the NFL this year. Kiper says Luck is the surest QB in the draft since Elway so somehow the team that's in position to take potentially the next Peyton Manning will take a pass and trade the pick. Can you imagine how they explain that to their fan base? I'd love it but it seems beyond far fetched. Only shot I can see is if it happens to be one of the teams this year that takes lets say Newton and Gabbert and neither looks like a bust and they in turn would look to trade their pick because they don't need a QB -- if so it will take quite a bounty of trade picks to obtain the be all and end all Qb propsect.

not to mention, if we solidify the o-line, we would actually be in decent shape going in to the 2011 season. Another year in the 3-4 helps our defense as well to move out of that last place spot

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 12:27 PM ----------

redskinsblog MT @evansilva: #Rams GM Billy Devaney on rumors STL might trade up: "Chances are, we're going to stay right at 14, and we'll be fine."

Agreed. The whole "wait for Luck next year" thing is pretty silly. Unless he completely forgets how to play QB, Luck will go #1 overall next year. We won't be that bad. My guess is that with a few upgrades this offseason via the draft and FA (assuming a new deal gets made at some point in the semi-near future) we will be an 8-8 sort of team, plus or minus one or two wins. Even if we somehow managed to be god awful and end up in the top 5 of the '12 draft, whoever is sitting at #1 overall will either take Luck or, if they have spent big on a young QB recently sit back, watch the carnival of teams trying to one up each other with insane deals to move to #1 and then haul in the bounty when the most insane offer comes in. If we're an 8-8 sort of team we won't be getting one of the top QBs in next year's class.

I would love if we are able to trade down and get some extra picks. Not a huge fan of Locker though. Wouldn't mind Dalton. No one is sold on Tyrod Taylor huh? He is a very accurate passer and of course very mobile. Hard worker with a decent arm. He is a little short but so was Doug Floutie (sp). Tyrod was more accurate than Locker in college. I think he will be a decent Qb and I think he would be great in Kyle and Mikes Offense. What are the negatives on him? (not trying to hijack thread)

If Quinn and Jones r both there at 10 .... and the Rams offer us this deal do we still take it .....There might be a good chance of Quinn still being there for us at 14

10 Rams .... J. Jones

11 Hou......Prince A

12 Minny.....Locker

13 Det.....Bowers

14. Wsh....Quinn !!!

Then if we drafted M. Wilkerson/Paea/Phil Taylor with our 2nd and Maybe another one of them if they fall or Wisniewski / Leonard Hankerson with the other 2nd ....Be the dream draft IMO........ lot of wishful thinking but still lol

My thoughts exactly. We could trade down to 14 and still get our guy.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

San Diego is probably licking their chops to get Cameron Jordan IMO. If Julio makes it to 10 and Jordan to 14 we could come out with a kings ransom. Could be a b-u-tiful thing if it worked out that way considering the late 1st and 2nd round talent in this draft.

That scenario is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeT

yeah lets just go after luck next year, brilliant idea. we either have to hope we go 0-16 and secure the #1 overall pick, or we trade 2 years worth of drafts to move up to the #1 overall pick.

brilliant scenarios guys! lol

I want to wait for next year but not only for Luck. Frankly, I think this year's prospects are being overdrafted becasue of need and I don't think Dalton, Locker, or Ponder are worth a 1st mid first round selection. Would I take them in Rd 2? Sure, but they aren't sure things by any stretch and you cannot ignore the failure rate of 2nd round qbs. I think if we draft one of these guys we could easily find ourselves in a position where we don't know what we have after this season and then we'll have to decide if we draft another QB early in '12? Then we would have wasted another high selection! My opinion- see if Gabbert falls. If he doesn't then still look for a trade down if its available and pick up the best 3 players at the following positions: Interior o-line, DE, OLB, CB, WR....use a mid round pick on Stanzi or Taylor....

I agree. I don't see us ever getting Luck. Even after our most horrible seasons, our draft picks aren't high enough. There is no way we will go 1-15 or something like that. The only way we get Luck is if he drops in value next year, like Locker did. If he's still the second coming next year, the team that gets him will be next year's worst team in the league. If the worst team in the league doesn't need a QB, then a team in the top 10 might be able to trade up, but it would cost a king's ransom.

We need a QB now. I really don't want to go with a mid-round QB project. I'd like a QB that really has the potential to be a franchise QB.

My thoughts exactly. We could trade down to 14 and still get our guy.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

That scenario is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeT

I think there is Zero chance Quinn will get past Houston. I wouldn't risk trading back from 10 when the top 5 prospect I want is there at 10.

Two things have to happen for us to get a trade down and a good second pick out of it.

A certain team has to be in love with a certain player.

That certain player must fall to us at 10.

It would be brilliant if that happens but I can't start speculating about it because I'll just end up disappointed when it doesn't happen.

rams gm bill devaney states the rams will stay at 14

from the st.louis dispatch

Rams GM Billy Devaney says he has no intentions of trading the No. 14 overall pick in the draft.There have been rumors Devaney may trade up for Julio Jones. "Chances are, we're going to stay right at 14, and we'll be fine," Devaney said. "... It's probably not worth our while to give up picks to make a move to go get a particular guy." The Rams are in a "sweet spot" in the draft, picking directly ahead of two teams with distinct quarterback needs: Miami and Jacksonville. Apr 21, 10:43 AMSource: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

That quote is completely meaningless. I could tell you the consistency of my morning poo and that would be just as predictive for the draft as Devaney's statement.

winnng!
They're twins; shouldn't they be as good as each other? :silly:

Funny there, and he might indeed develop and be as good as his brother, but there was a reason one brother was able to make the jump a year earlier. I don't think they are that different in potential but his brohter was the better player.

This Pouncey ain't last years Pouncey, no way does he deserve to go at 14 other guards are available in the second as good or better.
You are right in that Mike is not Maurkice. However, most Draft sites list Mike as the number one center in the draft. Pro Scouts, Inc on ESPN currently rates him as the number 15 player in the draft, a full 123 positions ahead of where they rate Wisniewski, just to show a comparison of talent. And he started all13 games this year at center, 11 at right guard and 2 at left guard last year, making him someone the Skins could use at center or guard. And he played in the SEC, probably the toughest football conference around. Using Pro Scouts numbers, of the overall ranking of all guards and centers, Pouncey is number 15, the first guard listed is at number 29 (Danny Watkins of Baylor), and the others are at 53, 55 and 60 (60 being Hudson of FL State). So I'd say others have a higher opinion of his talent than you do.

Although a reach at 10, he would not be a reach at 14 or later and he would be a steal at 20 (following the trade down positions mentioned earlier in this thread). Saying he is not his brother is true. Saying he is not worth a number 14 pick or later appears to be inaccurate. The real queston is, how much of an improvement/impact could he bring to the interior of the Redskins OLine, as either a guard or a center. My estimate is he could make a monumental difference in the running game, pass protection and especially in the short yardage game, and apparently those who rate draft picks for a living agree.

You are right that he's not Maurkice. But even better, he's not Rabach, Lichtensteiger or Montgomery.

i think the trading down would be good for us. i just have a feeling that we will trade the 10th to the rams for their 1st and 2nd rounders, theyll get julio. we will end up getting jj watt and a qb in the 2nd round perhaps. haz did do the lb/de drills during some of the combine, so you know he got a good look at everyone. my hunch is he wants watt.

I think its a bit of all the above. McNabb has never been an accurate passer,
You can say alot of things but saying a QB of McNabb's caliber as inaccurate I just don't agree with; to me its an impossibility for McNabb to have the success he's had and be an inaccurate QB at the same time.
Here we have an inexperienced OC in Kyle who wanted McNabb to fit within his scheme rather than adapt his scheme to McNabb.
Imo this doesn't make sense.

You don't acquire a QB without a plan and willingness to gear the offense towards his success.

The way I see it that onus is on the OC and a failure in that regard is his failure in as much as Ryan Fitzpartick success is a result of Chan Gailey's expertise.

What's worse is that Kyle essential gave up in 13 weeks when its not uncommon for any QB to struggle in the 1st year in a new offense.

The Bears didn't give up on Cutler the Chiefs didn't give up on Cassel etc.

Then both McNabb and Kyle get frustrated, Kyle gets Mike to bench McNabb so he can show his offense does work with Rex under centre (which it did to be fair minus the odd turnover) and McNabb pulls the passive agressive act .....
This is a common misconception.

Kyle's offense did work with Rex but is was only marginally better then with McNabb and going by Football Outsiders metrics it wasn't better at all.

Of course in an ideal world you think all that through before you send a 2nd round pick to a Division rival .......
Imo the McNabb situation was a fiasco.

And its really shaken my trust in Kyle Shanahan and even Mike Shanahan but more then that it causes me to question the viability and dynamic of a father/son HC/OC tandem.

Drafting Locker in the 1st round, just sounds like more of the "square peg to put in a round whole" syndrome that we've seen with this team the last decade..

I hope we go in another direction. The Mcnabb trade was a huge mistake; we don't need Mcnabb part two.

Can you imagine if we had those draft picks now? I'm usually an optimist, but damn, was that a really bad move - any of our resident insiders know who's move that was?

Skins always have something lingering in the background too, that causes them not to be on the same page. I just hope the father and son relationship doesn't become a problem at some point.

Maybe Mallet is the compromise of the Shanahans? I previously stated I only really thought Gabbert and Newton were first round worthy, but I'd have to include Mallet in there as well based on talent. The off field concerns and lack of mobility are what pushed him down (although pocket mobility and speed are two different things IMO) I would be all for this in a trade down.

Btw, which station did you hear that on?

You can say alot of things but saying a QB of McNabb's caliber as inaccurate I just don't agree with; to me its an impossibility for McNabb to have the success he's had and be an inaccurate QB at the same time.

McNabb has always been a QB who has been successful based on his ability to make big plays. He has always also been a streaky passer who gets hot and shreds you but then has patches when he can't hit simple check downs. His fundamentals are not great especially his footwork and that gets him in trouble sometimes. I know completion percentage and accuracy are not the same thing but over his career McNabb is under 60% completion rate.

Of course we knew all this going in and the thought we were going to make a 33 year old QB something he was not already was silly.

What's worse is that Kyle essential gave up in 13 weeks when its not uncommon for any QB to struggle in the 1st year in a new offense.

The Bears didn't give up on Cutler the Chiefs didn't give up on Cassel etc.

Cassell and Cutler have been brought in for the long term and they are building an offense around them. McNabb was brought in to be a bridge QB who had maybe 3 good years in him - he was a caretaker. The situations are totally different, we are not building around McNabb and he was expected to work within the offense we want to run more than we were going to significantly adjust the system to suit McNabb.

I do think Kyle could have done a better job with some of the play calling, the lack of screen was a puzzle for example, but the bottom line was McNabb just did not play well - he was missing too many throws he should have been hitting and that was causing the offense to be inconsistent and lack rhythm.

This is a common misconception.

Kyle's offense did work with Rex but is was only marginally better then with McNabb and going by Football Outsiders metrics it wasn't better at all.

Grossman had a better TD percentage and a lower interception percentage than McNabb. With McNabb starting we averaged just under 18 and with Grossman we averaged just over 20 points a game. More than that just on the eye ball test the offense looked more.in rhythm and more consistent. Subjective maybe but when there is a strong case to be made that Rex Grossman played better than you at QB that's not a good thing.

The situation was certainly not all McNabbs fault but it just was not working and with a QB of his age it's just not worth making the changes we would need to if we want to stick with him. Better to admit the mistake and move on.

If Mallett IS the pick this indicates:

#1 we will be trading down, and not in the 14-17 range, more like the 20+ range

#2 that K Shannahan now has won the battle for the future look of the skins. More Houston less Denver

#3 there is noone in the Top #10 as valuable to us as would be the addition of a 2nd & 4th and a Top QB

#4 We plan to trade back behind a team or teams that intend to take QB's

Now this is pure speculation on my part, but if this occurs it tells me Minny is grabbing Locker. Mike wants a QB a TOP tier QB but is allowing Kyyle to pick him. It indicates that where the Skins want to trade back to they feel their best possible QB is Mallett, which at least to me sgnals they will trade behind Minny somewhere and they expect Minny to take either Locker/Ponder/Dalton. Finally that McNabb in this scenario will prolly be a skin next year

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I think this is a way to move down a 2nd time. They know somebody plans on taking Mallett late 1st early 2nd. Sendind out the word that we'd like him, is telling everyone #1 we're moving down and already have apratner so we are in a dealing mood and #2 If ur a team that needs a QB and u don't get it done b4 the 2nd we're taking ur guy off the board.

Sounds like a way to move down into 25 with Seattle then. Mallett is the prototypical Pete Carroll QB. Big, Strong, Cannon arm, Pro Style, High Level competition, pseudo coach on the field. It fits to me. Let's not forget Petey C is the USC, party guy, not gonna bust ur balls kinda NFL coach. MUCH better fit for Mallett than Shanny and his no nonsense , embarrass the **** outta u style. It makes VERY good sense Mallet to Seattle.

Mallett is similar to Carroll's NCAAB QB's save for Matt Lienhart

Carson Palmer

Matt Sanchez

Matt Cassell

Matt Barkeley

All big strong pro system QB's with cannon arms. They stand in the pocket and throw. Mallett just happens to be those Guys 2.0, bigger, stronger, more cannon

S/n ever notice Petey C LOVES QB's with the name Matt? Dayum

Problem is Seattle doesn't have a 3rd and without a 3rd can't see it happening so this excercise may have been all for naught. :(

Unless.........lol, the FO now has foresight & paitience (something we aren't used to) and takes Seattle's #2 next year hmmmmm........

Thus setting us up with a 1st and 2 2nds next year, LOTS of ammunition and a great position to be in

Just a thought on the permutations, don't kill me

Mallett is too much of a risk to be a first round pick. He is the least athletic QB in the draft, he can't deal with pressure, and has character red flags. He shouldn't even be on our board. Bruce Allen left Aqib Talib on his board in Tampa and now he is gunning people down in the street.

Archived