Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor - Redskins Already Have 2 Trade-Down Pacts In Place To Gain a 2nd Rounder

3 Rings

I'm sorry, but one of the troubling parts about these draft scenarios, and it continues to be a microcosm of this team for the last 11 years, is the dysfunction. Here we have a father...and a son..who can't get on the same page about the potential face of the franchise. It's got to be clear that it's their mindset to try and get a qb this year. That whole ...wait till next year thing........that mindset never works. So, even looking at the schedule, I can't find more than 5 wins next year...but still...you can't bank on having a terrible season..so that you can draft Luck. ........Too many what if's? What if he gets hurt? What if there's another team with a worse record than us? We don't fleece teams for draft picks on draft day, we get fleeced.

But, before I go teeter too far off to the right on a rant, back to my original premise...........Agreeing on a quarterback. I'm not really stating anything that hasn't already been mentioned here. Dad seems to be enarmored with Jake Plummer jr...errr Locker........and Son seems to want the bright, accurate passer types...in Dalton...maybe Ponder. I've been saying this since that abomination of a game vs St. Louis last year. This is not.................Mike Shanahan's offense. It's not even a hybrid of the broncos/texans offense. The run game..........yes...is Dad's offense. Howwwever, the passing game...is solely Kyle Shanahan's. How many bootlegs were run last year? Now I don't know if it was because of Old Man McNabb's gimpy hamstring or what, but the last bootleg I saw him run was against the giants when he fumbled and looked 80 years old in the process on the play. A guy ...with accuracy issues...is notttttttttttttttt going to thrive in this offense. He's just not. Intangibles..are great. The key is..can he place the ball where it needs to be? Anybody who saw him play Nebraska last year...bothhhhh games.......he was terrrrible. If you can't throw on Nebraska's D...what are you going to do in the NFL. Yes, Washington's talent pool was not as deep. Still, when he had time...and had guys open...he was terrible. If McNabb made Kyle Shanahan go batty.....what is Locker..who has the same issues as McNabb...as it pertains to accuracy....and being young...with the mentality to tuck the ball and run..how is that gonna fly with the offensive coordinator?

Dalton....Ponder...I don't see why those wouldn't be the two unanimously at the top of the qb board for this team? Again, footwork issues........accuracy issues. If the accuracy is bad in college...it doesn't get better in the pros. I know Steve Young was a run first qb in the beginning of his carrer, but he also was more accurate than Locker at this stage. I just cringe at the thought of him being here because I smell bust. I really hope, that unlike last year...despite his son supposedly telling him about his reservations of brining in McNabb...I hope he listens to his offensive coordinator this year and picks the right qb for the system they are running. To quote about the only good thing he said as a coach, I agree with Mike Singletary when he said...I want winners! Dalton..........is a winner. Ponder was ranked highly before the shoulder injuries. If his shoulder checks out and he has the arm strength to run the offense, then I'd be fine with either he or Dalton (who also...only if he can make the throws as well). This is a offense that is based on accuracy and making the right reads....yes..but it also stretches the field. Schaub....even McNabb...took/take shots in the offense. If your qb lacks the arm strength,...you can forget it. It's too bad that Mallett is soooo immobile....and has all of these maturity issues going on. Otherwise, I think he would be a really nice fit for this style of offense. Oh well. Again, I hope the offensive coordinator wins out on this decision this time. Bring on the draft. I'm tired of all these smoke screens coming out of redskin park.

San Diego is probably licking their chops to get Cameron Jordan IMO. If Julio makes it to 10 and Jordan to 14 we could come out with a kings ransom. Could be a b-u-tiful thing if it worked out that way considering the late 1st and 2nd round talent in this draft.

This would be the dream scenario. If (big if) St.Louis wants Jones bad enough to trade 14, 47 to us, it wouldn't be a bad trade for SD to trade 18, 61 for the 14. That would leave us with a solid 1st rounders and two added 2nd rounders.

Taylor (NT), Dalton/Kaepernick (QB), Wiesnewski/Hudson (OG), Bailey (OLB)/Ballard (DE) would give us 3 potentially solid linemen and a QB for the future.

One can dream, right? :D

All I'm saying isTampa is DESPERATE to put Quinn or Aldon Smith next to McCoy. I would say more desperate than St Louis is to get Julio, and definitely more desperate than NE to get anyone.

#10 to TB for #20, a 2nd, and whatever compensation Shanny negotiates

Edit: I should correct myself some, Quinn is TB focus, but any of the top DE's is what they want. Sitting at #20 they are going to have to hope that in a league where the DE is highly prized, that one of the BETTER in this DE class drops. IMO that's too huge a risk when 5 (Quinn, Watt, Smith, Kerrigan, Jordan, Heyward) could be gone by #20

That makes Tampa desperate, and u don't trade up in the first to get ur 2nd or 3rd love, u go to get "your guy". Their guy is Quinn, if ( and strong indications are he will be) he is there at #10, I'm EXTREMELY confident TB pulls the trigger

If Pittman4two is a source for you, then I buy this theory.

I'm sorry, but one of the troubling parts about these draft scenarios, and it continues to be a microcosm of this team for the last 11 years, is the dysfunction. Here we have a father...and a son..who can't get on the same page about the potential face of the franchise.

Interesting post blessed - contribute more often...

I think everyone is worried about Locker's accuracy in the pocket - outside of he is supposed to be pretty good. I hope/have to think Mike will consult Kyle before selecting a QB. I do think Jake is receptive to instruction and coaching. I think a guy with his attitude has a chance. I really do. He knows he needs work and seems willing to put the time in to improve.

I

I'm sorry, but one of the troubling parts about these draft scenarios, and it continues to be a microcosm of this team for the last 11 years, is the dysfunction. Here we have a father...and a son..who can't get on the same page about the potential face of the franchise. It's got to be clear that it's their mindset to try and get a qb this year. That whole ...wait till next year thing........that mindset never works. So, even looking at the schedule, I can't find more than 5 wins next year...but still...you can't bank on having a terrible season..so that you can draft Luck. ........Too many what if's? What if he gets hurt? What if there's another team with a worse record than us? We don't fleece teams for draft picks on draft day, we get fleeced.

But, before I go teeter too far off to the right on a rant, back to my original premise...........Agreeing on a quarterback. I'm not really stating anything that hasn't already been mentioned here. Dad seems to be enarmored with Jake Plummer jr...errr Locker........and Son seems to want the bright, accurate passer types...in Dalton...maybe Ponder. I've been saying this since that abomination of a game vs St. Louis last year. This is not.................Mike Shanahan's offense. It's not even a hybrid of the broncos/texans offense. The run game..........yes...is Dad's offense. Howwwever, the passing game...is solely Kyle Shanahan's. How many bootlegs were run last year? Now I don't know if it was because of Old Man McNabb's gimpy hamstring or what, but the last bootleg I saw him run was against the giants when he fumbled and looked 80 years old in the process on the play. A guy ...with accuracy issues...is notttttttttttttttt going to thrive in this offense. He's just not. Intangibles..are great. The key is..can he place the ball where it needs to be? Anybody who saw him play Nebraska last year...bothhhhh games.......he was terrrrible. If you can't throw on Nebraska's D...what are you going to do in the NFL. Yes, Washington's talent pool was not as deep. Still, when he had time...and had guys open...he was terrible. If McNabb made Kyle Shanahan go batty.....what is Locker..who has the same issues as McNabb...as it pertains to accuracy....and being young...with the mentality to tuck the ball and run..how is that gonna fly with the offensive coordinator?

Dalton....Ponder...I don't see why those wouldn't be the two unanimously at the top of the qb board for this team? Again, footwork issues........accuracy issues. If the accuracy is bad in college...it doesn't get better in the pros. I know Steve Young was a run first qb in the beginning of his carrer, but he also was more accurate than Locker at this stage. I just cringe at the thought of him being here because I smell bust. I really hope, that unlike last year...despite his son supposedly telling him about his reservations of brining in McNabb...I hope he listens to his offensive coordinator this year and picks the right qb for the system they are running. To quote about the only good thing he said as a coach, I agree with Mike Singletary when he said...I want winners! Dalton..........is a winner. Ponder was ranked highly before the shoulder injuries. If his shoulder checks out and he has the arm strength to run the offense, then I'd be fine with either he or Dalton (who also...only if he can make the throws as well). This is a offense that is based on accuracy and making the right reads....yes..but it also stretches the field. Schaub....even McNabb...took/take shots in the offense. If your qb lacks the arm strength,...you can forget it. It's too bad that Mallett is soooo immobile....and has all of these maturity issues going on. Otherwise, I think he would be a really nice fit for this style of offense. Oh well. Again, I hope the offensive coordinator wins out on this decision this time. Bring on the draft. I'm tired of all these smoke screens coming out of redskin park.

Good post and I definatly agree with you. Jake locker will fail as the qb for Kyles offense and in 2 years we will be coach hunting again with a lemon for a qb.

I hope it's true. That way when we select Locker it will at least look like we tried not to reach as much. Locker will be a Redskin. Hopefully we can beef up the line to give the dude a chance. I also don't think Jones is going to be there at 10.

From what insiders here are saying, I wouldn't necessarily bank on that. Apparently Mike likes him a lot but Kyle isn't really into him. It may come down to whether or not MS puts his foot down and says "we're drafting Locker. Period".

Apparently Mike likes him a lot but Kyle isn't really into him. It may come down to whether or not MS puts his foot down and says "we're drafting Locker. Period".

This seems to be the how things are shaping up. While I generally give a ton of deference to MS and Allen, I can help but second guess after the Donovan fiasco. I know Vinny has left the building but the Donovan deal was very Vinny-esque.

If we do trade down, we might not be getting Locker. It seems that the Vikings really want Locker from what I've read on their boards.

Dude, that's the equivelant of what we do here. That's the fan base talking. How often do the teams or the front office for that matter go into the dratf with condsideration of what the fans want or think as a talking point when considering who to or not to draft?

This seems to be the how things are shaping up. While I generally give a ton of deference to MS and Allen, I can help but second guess after the Donovan fiasco. I know Vinny has left the building but the Donovan deal was very Vinny-esque.

That is a warranted second-guess. Also, if we remember what we heard - it was Kyle that weighed heavily on benching McNabb. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for an OCoord to try and prove his system works...but could be interesting to see just how much voice he really has in determining the QB of the future. I'm thinking Kyle gets the QB pick over Mike.

I'm sorry, but one of the troubling parts about these draft scenarios, and it continues to be a microcosm of this team for the last 11 years, is the dysfunction. Here we have a father...and a son..who can't get on the same page about the potential face of the franchise.

I'd agree if we knew for a fact this is true but do we? After McNabb, seems hard for me to believe that Shanny is going to foist a QB on Kyle who he doesn't want. It seems more intuitive to me that Shanny might like Locker more and Kyle lets say likes Dalton more -- but it strikes too out in left field for me that Kyle is telling his dad please not this guy and Shanny pulls the trigger anyway. If they draft Locker I'd presume that while he might not be Kyle's first choice -- he also wasn't kicking and screaming against it. Just a guess of course on my end.

If we do trade down, we might not be getting Locker. It seems that the Vikings really want Locker from what I've read on their boards.

So this begs the question, Under the current guidelines, may teams currently DISCUSS amongst themselves potential trades once a new CBA is in place? I know they can't talk with players, but can they discuss potential tades with other teams for when the new CBA kicks in? If so, wouldn't it be feasible to have a potential trade in place with Minny for McNabb?

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 10:47 AM ----------

So this begs the question, Under the current guidelines, may teams currently DISCUSS amongst themselves potential trades once a new CBA is in place? I know they can't talk with players, but can they discuss potential trades with other teams for when the new CBA kicks in? If so, wouldn't it be feasible to have a potential trade in place with Minny for McNabb?

rams gm bill devaney states the rams will stay at 14

from the st.louis dispatch

Rams GM Billy Devaney says he has no intentions of trading the No. 14 overall pick in the draft.There have been rumors Devaney may trade up for Julio Jones. "Chances are, we're going to stay right at 14, and we'll be fine," Devaney said. "... It's probably not worth our while to give up picks to make a move to go get a particular guy." The Rams are in a "sweet spot" in the draft, picking directly ahead of two teams with distinct quarterback needs: Miami and Jacksonville. Apr 21, 10:43 AMSource: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Unless this is draft smoke

I'm thinking Kyle gets the QB pick over Mike.

I tend to think the same thing. Kyle needs to have someone he thinks he can work with. One of the things Shanny said when he brought Kyle in was that he had always wanted to work with, but he wanted him to prove himself first someplace else. He did that in Houston. Shanny of all people has to know how hard it is to work with your hands tied behind your back. My feeling is that Shanny gives in to Kyle on this one.

If I were the Vikings, I'd really want the Skins to take Locker at 10 so a good player like Quinn, Bowers or Prince falls. I just see it as a smokescreen as much as anything else.

We're in "I'll believe it when I see it" draft territory. Teams are misleading people left and right. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabbert fall to us at 10 at this point. Is he REALLY that much better than the second tier QBs? Would all of those QB-needy teams really prefer a relative risk in the top 10 over the stud defenders/WRs in this class? I'm guessing the answer is yes for someone, but I really won't be surprised if the top 10 goes totally differently than most are predicting...something like this instead:

Carolina - Dareus

Denver - Peterson

Buffalo - Miller

Cincinnati - Green

Arizona - Quinn

Cleveland - Jones

San Fran - Amukamara

Tennessee - Fairley

Dallas - Tyron Smith

Washington - Choice of Netwon/Gabbert

I'm probably wrong, but crazier things have happened. In that scenario, Bowers is also still available even with no QB taken in the top 9.

Just watch. If Newton doesn't go #1 overall, there could be a QB slide that nobody's predicting.

I think the assumption that McNabb's soon to be short stay in Washington was due to a lack of ability or a lack of scheme fit more then a simple failure of the relationship between he and Kyle is false logic imo.

A borderline HOF caliber QB coming off a pro-bowl year suddenly doesn't forget how to play QB.

In that regard the comparison being made that Locker is similar to McNabb therefore Locker isn't a fit for this offense isn't accurate.

Also, the comparison being made between Locker and McNabb is no more accurate or predictive then the comparisons that have been made between Locker and John Elway, Jay Cutler and Steve Young.

rams gm bill devaney states the rams will stay at 14

from the st.louis dispatch

Rams GM Billy Devaney says he has no intentions of trading the No. 14 overall pick in the draft.There have been rumors Devaney may trade up for Julio Jones. "Chances are, we're going to stay right at 14, and we'll be fine," Devaney said. "... It's probably not worth our while to give up picks to make a move to go get a particular guy." The Rams are in a "sweet spot" in the draft, picking directly ahead of two teams with distinct quarterback needs: Miami and Jacksonville. Apr 21, 10:43 AMSource: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Unless this is draft smoke

I think its definitely smoke. Everyone is trying to gain some sort of leverage.

I think the assumption that McNabb's soon to be short stay in Washington was due to a lack of ability or a lack of scheme fit more then a simple failure of the relationship between he and Kyle is false logic imo.

I think its a bit of all the above. McNabb has never been an accurate passer, Andy Reid adapted his offense and play calling to maximise McNabbs strengths and work around his short comings. This made perfect sense given Reid drafted McNabb top 5 and he was building his team and offense around him for the long haul.

Here we have an inexperienced OC in Kyle who wanted McNabb to fit within his scheme rather than adapt his scheme to McNabb. This also kind of makes sense as McNabb was brought in here as a 2 or 3 year bridge to the next long term QB - no sense throwing out the offense you want to run long term for a 2/3 year stop gap as that holds everyone else back. Problem was this showed up the issues McNabb has always had but which Andy Reid did a great job working around.

Then both McNabb and Kyle get frustrated, Kyle gets Mike to bench McNabb so he can show his offense does work with Rex under centre (which it did to be fair minus the odd turnover) and McNabb pulls the passive agressive act .....

Of course in an ideal world you think all that through before you send a 2nd round pick to a Division rival .......

If this goes through than this would be a amazing oppurtunity to do this!!!!

With the 14th pick the Washington Redskins select Mike Pouncey.

With our 2 2nd round picks we take Stephen Paea NT and Stefen Wisniewski for C.

We can try to get McElroy or Stanzi later on with our 5th's or trade up in the 4th.

We need to try to resign Jamal Brown to a fair deal and get Davin Joseph.

Our OL would be Trent Williams, Mike Pouncey, Stefen Wisniewski, Davin Joseph, Jamal Brown.

Maake Kemoeatu and Stephen Paea in a rotation at the nose.

This solidifies or OL so we can get Andrew Luck next year!

1. Mike Pouncey G

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gcobb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/MikePouncey1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gcobb.com/2011/02/27/the-bloodlines-make-mike-pouncey-a-no-brainer-for-the-birds/&usg=__-tFwx54mxvp5Ggaasuo4f6i7MO4=&h=400&w=500&sz=174&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=O8OLV1L5GlD5PM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=130&ei=AVKwTf7rAebW0QGRyfGhCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmike%2Bpouncey%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1401%26bih%3D866%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

2. Stephen Paea NT

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nflchargers.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/stephen-paea.jpg%3Fw%3D450%26h%3D321&imgrefurl=http://blog.chargers.com/2011/02/&usg=__xgHS8K3IxUyJXG1uwLt9meKJDQw=&h=321&w=450&sz=204&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=sUqDShYkqdaM8M:&tbnh=140&tbnw=168&ei=c1GwTbjkJ4m60QHe5bG3CQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstephen%2Bpaea%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1401%26bih%3D866%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=78&page=1&ndsp=38&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=98&ty=74

2. Stefen Wiesniewski C

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nflsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Stefen-Wisniewski1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nflsoup.com/%3Fp%3D7764&usg=__eN2qEiaqeA336J6BmJgePwuTpf0=&h=400&w=600&sz=91&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=xnwWt8EYDGkcuM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&ei=3VGwTbO1HoKa0QHd_YGICQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstefen%2Bwisniewski%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1401%26bih%3D866%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Make a trade to get into the 4th round. say our 2 5th's.

4. Ricky Stanzi QB

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ricky%2BStanzi%2BTravis%2BMeade%2BIowa%2Bv%2BPenn%2BState%2BQ9xgpX4ZjrMl.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Ricky%2BStanzi/Travis%2BMeade/Iowa%2Bv%2BPenn%2BState/Q9xgpX4ZjrM&usg=__gC59GHBWer-3X0uTmEFNKBwg-hw=&h=462&w=594&sz=120&hl=en&start=14&zoom=1&tbnid=fvMjUlDMMS89QM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=135&ei=E1KwTbCNH-fY0QHO1pCuAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dricky%2Bstanzi%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1401%26bih%3D866%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

6. Take the best RB/ WR/ DL/ OL/ CB/ LB available

7. Take the best RB/ WR/ DL/ OL/ CB/ LB available- Also look for a great Kicker

I think this would be a AWESOME draft scenario.

Archived