Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: ‘School Shooter’ Video Game to Reenact Columbine, Virginia Tech Killings

Sticksboi05

Who exactly thought this was a good idea?

In the yet-to-be-released School Shooter: North American Tour 2012, players can reenact school shooting tragedies at Columbine, Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University, among other locations. The goal? "Become the best school shooter, ever," according to the developer's website.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/20/school-shooter-video-game-reenacts-columbine-virginia-tech-killings/#ixzz1K628NtpX

------------

This is so wrong and absolutely disgusting. What kind of person thought this would be a good idea? Really, absolutely disgusting and I hope to God it gets stopped from being released.

12th anniversary of Columbine also.

I agree it's tasteless but, personally, I hope to God no one stops it from getting released. The public can make it's opinion known by not buying it and if the public does buy it up, well, it is what it is. Censorship is not the answer.

I'm as anti-censorship as most sane people come but if this were blocked I wouldn't care. I'm going to be a media member in a few years. It's a pretty specific type of game so you wouldn't open a massive can-of-worms. Now, it can't be blocked I'm sure because no matter what scrutiny you look at it under, there's no justification legally unless they argue it endangers people by encouraging the behavior or teaches people techniques. Kind of similar to U.S. v Progressive in 1979 if you're familiar with the case. But still, this just makes me shake my head.

Not disagreeing sticks, it's head shaking without question but I don't think it's right to pick and choose what to censor based on the outrage it inspires. That's a dangerous road to head down, I know you know that. If you could prove that this will cause someone to inflict harm on others of and by itself I'm right there with you but we both know that's not the case.

Not disagreeing sticks, it's head shaking without question but I don't think it's right to pick and choose what to censor based on the outrage it inspires. That's a dangerous road to head down, I know you know that. If you could prove that this will cause someone to inflict harm on others of and by itself I'm right there with you but we both know that's not the case.

Nope, as I said there's really no justification legally to block this though who is going to publish it? What game publisher wants that stigma? And which store would carry it?

Sounds super. I was getting bored punching old women in GTA, shooting dogs and people in the face in call of duty and stuff like that. I know video games don't ever lead to violence, but maybe all the kids who do want to go shoot their classmates up for picking on them, will now have a much healthier outlet.

This wins the award for Worst Idea EVER!

I thought going to war to prevent war was the worst idea ever.

or maybe continuing on the war to correct for the mistake of going to war to prevent war was the worst idea...

haha

or making a campaign promise to end a war that a previous president started on a bad premise, then winning the Nobel Peace Prize, and continuing to start a brand new war on a similar premise that the previous war was started, that you promised to end.

or making a campaign promise to end a war that a previous president started on a bad premise, then winning the Nobel Peace Prize, and continuing to start a brand new war on a similar premise that the previous war was started, that you promised to end.

Jez, that sounds like it could last forever. Glad we went to war to keep from going to war, that would get expensive and we wouldn't be able to spend our hard earned money on first person high school shooter games to pass the day.

Does everything bad have to be compared to war?

I really don't have the words to describe how this game makes me feel. Disgusted and angry and sad doesn't begin cover it. **** that you can't censor it, but who the **** would come up with a game like this in the first place?

Seriously. I can't imagine EVER living 4/16 over again, not sure why anyone would want to play a game about it (or any of the other school shootings).

It's definitely in poor taste but, when it comes to encouraging actual shootings, video games are only going to be a secondary influence at best. Even if the game flagrantly promotes school violence there are other contributing factors to school violence that deserve far, far more attention.

According to the article this is a "mod" which I take to mean

"isn't licensed" by the makers of Half Life and a legal "Cease and Desist" order will soon arrive...problem solved...I hope.

Valve probably could not find legal grounds to stop them if they wanted to and they certainly don't appear to have taken any action so far. This is actually fairly old news, so they've had plenty of time to make a move if they were so inclined.

Archived