Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little late, but Hapy Passover

Burgold

I hope that each of you as you wander in the desert find the ability to be steadfast, true and strong enough to perservere and that when you come free you find a land of peace, milk and honey, family and happiness.

Every person goes through an Exodus at one time or another. I hope that as I struggle with mine I treat others fairly and with kindness. I hope that the burden you carry on yours is light and that you have others to help you.

I've always thought that the empty seat we leave at the Sedar table is a wonderful tradition. In my home, it is meant as an invitation for all those who are struggling and our wish that we could share and ease their struggles. So, to all Jewish or not, whether you practice any faith or none may you find home. May you find peace.

Happy Passover

Thanks Burgold.

We always have an empty seat at our table for ya whether you are struggling before coming over or during the onslaught of greetings, ours will always be a house attempting to drown out all of life's other pesky details with alternating jubulant cries and screams of frustration.

Whether at our house or elsewhere on the road of life, may you find the inner peace which makes the world's din seem a symphony written and conducted by a true master of the craft.

Honest and sincere question. As a Christian pastor we celebrate the Passover with a Messianic seder in our church every year on Maundy Thursday, celebrate it as part of our Hebrew heritage and obviously with the Messianic fulfillment that we have in the Christian New Testament. How is this viewed by my Jewish cousins?

Happy passover!

No pasta for a whole week :cry:

Seeing as I am in Italy right now, I am glad Christians don't follow this tradition. :)

Bonus news for zoony: Real Italian food (here it's just called "food" ;)) in Tuscany is better than that found at the Olive Garden.

Honest and sincere question. As a Christian pastor we celebrate the Passover with a Messianic seder in our church every year on Maundy Thursday, celebrate it as part of our Hebrew heritage and obviously with the Messianic fulfillment that we have in the Christian New Testament. How is this viewed by my Jewish cousins?

I like pancakes. :)

I'll start with a disclaimer. I'm a fairly secular or cultural Jew and not very studied, but I would view it as something that makes sense given our shared history and something that was done in respect and friendship. Passover is a very inclusive holiday. I wish all the religions would make greater efforts to be understanding and welcoming which is why I wrote the OP the way I did. I think the spirit of Passover can be understood and celebrated by all. I think all religions, including mine, sometimes fail at this. Besides, I view Christians as brothers. We have the same father and much of our upbringing stems from the same root. We should be able to worship, celebrate, and share together.

The only real difference I suppose is that Christians weren't raised by the Father, but got babysat by an older brother and try desperately to emulate him. :)

Capital "L" stupid.

Oh.....the lamb on the TABLE. Carry on. :ols:

;)

Are you drunk? If it's beer that's ok, cause it's kosher...wait do they use yeast in the fermentation?

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 03:09 PM ----------

I'll start with a disclaimer. I'm a fairly secular or cultural Jew and not very studied, but I would view it as something that makes sense given our shared history and something that was done in respect and friendship. Passover is a very inclusive holiday. I wish all the religions would make greater efforts to be understanding and welcoming which is why I wrote the OP the way I did. I think the spirit of Passover can be understood and celebrated by all. I think all religions, including mine, sometimes fail at this. Besides, I view Christians as brothers. We have the same father and much of our upbringing stems from the same root. We should be able to worship, celebrate, and share together.

I agree, especially since we're family and all.

The only real difference I suppose is that Christians weren't raised by the Father, but got babysat by an older brother and try desperately to emulate him. :)

touche. ;)

Are you drunk? If it's beer that's ok, cause it's kosher...wait do they use yeast in the fermentation?

Beer is not okay on passover. I don't think any liquor passes muster as a general rule, unless it's specially made.

I generally follow the "it's bread if it looks like bread" rule, and am not reading ingredients on salad dressing or whatever, but beer is over the line in my view. I would drink some non-kosher wine though

stolen from the interwebz:

If one of the five species of grain (wheat, oats, rye, barley, spelt) comes into contact with water after the stalks have been cut off the ground; if they become fermented, they become chametz. According to our Rabbinic authorities, this fermentation takes 18 minutes. Therefore, in order to be kosher l'pesach, matzoh must take less than 18 minutes to prepare from the time the water and flour are first mixed to the time the matzoh comes out of the oven.

The term chametz is applied not only to foodstuffs, but also to dishes and utensils in which foods that are chametz have been prepared during the year.

Beans, rice, corn, and peas are not among the grains that can become chametz, yet they are also forbidden during Pesach.This prohibition stems from the fact that flour can be made from these foods and it might be confusing. The rabbis felt that people might be tempted to use regular flour if they were allowed to use, for example, rice flour. To avoid such confusion, the rabbis decided that these foods (known as kitniot) not be used at all during Pesach. These additional foods are prohibited only by Ashkenazic Jews whose ancestors come from Eastern Europe.

Sephardic Jews, whose ancestry is Middle Eastern, permit these foods during Pesach.

Beer is not okay on passover. I don't think any liquor passes muster as a general rule, unless it's specially made.

Wow, that's a pity, I will expect everyone cleaning out their homes to send me their beer. ;)

Liquor doesn't but kosher wine is still OK right? We actually use non-alchy sparkling grape juice for our seders.

BTW, I had no idea that the rules were that strict, we do a non-yeast seder but I don't think we go to that extent. What bread do you use for the seder & afikomen.

Wow, that's a pity, I will expect everyone cleaning out their homes to send me their beer. ;)

Liquor doesn't but kosher wine is still OK right? We actually use non-alchy sparkling grape juice for our seders.

BTW, I had no idea that the rules were that strict, we do a non-yeast seder but I don't think we go to that extent. What bread do you use for the seder & afikomen.

Anything that would qualify will say Kosher for Passover (which is different than just plain kosher) on the label. Manischewitz wine is fine I'm sure, but that stuff is nasty.

Well, bread is kinda off limits. :) Matzoh is what you eat for seder and use as afikomen. Personally, I usually use whatever brand of matzoh is on sale at the grocery store I like Streits. But you will notice some boxes say they are "not for Passover use" which means they are not fit for the seder:

Matzah is the substitute for leavened bread during the Jewish holiday of Passover, when eating chametz—bread and other food which is leavened—is not allowed. Eating matza on the night of the seder is a positive mitzvah (commandment). In the context of the Passover seder meal, certain restrictions additional to the chametz prohibitions must be met for the matza to be considered "mitzva matza", that is, matza that meets the requirements of the positive commandment to eat matza at the seder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo

Anything that would qualify will say Kosher for Passover (which is different than just plain kosher) on the label. Manischewitz wine is fine I'm sure, but that stuff is nasty.

Well, bread is kinda off limits. Matzoh is what you eat for seder and use as afikomen. Personally, I usually use whatever brand of matzoh is on sale at the grocery store :) I like Streits. But you will notice some boxes say they are "not for Passover use" which means they are not fit for the seder:

I'd have to call some of my Reformed friends to find out where they shop, because I know the matzoh at our grocery store all say "not for Passover" I think, I wonder if they just make their own.

I'd have to call some of my Reformed friends to find out where they shop, because I know the matzoh at our grocery store all say "not for Passover" I think, I wonder if they just make their own.

Probably has to do a little with the area you live in? I've never tried making my own. If not the grocery store, I would expect that a local Jewish deli/bakery, if you have one, might sell some or bake some.

A little research shows (not surprisingly) you can order some online. http://www.matzahonline.com/

Bread is KINDA off limits? :ols:

Depends on the bread.

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 04:49 PM ----------

Probably has to do a little with the area you live in? I've never tried making my own. If not the grocery store, I would expect that a local Jewish deli/bakery, if you have one, might sell some or bake some.

A little research shows (not surprisingly) you can order some online. http://www.matzahonline.com/

Oh I'm sure it has everything to do with where I live, in Lexington there are two synagogues one Reformed one Orthodox, there is a yeast free section in the ethnic isle of one of the large grocery stores, but the section is only about 15 feet wide, so selection is limited to say the least.

Archived