Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Songs You Never Ever Ever Want to Hear Again

Glad to see the REM love. You'd be hard pressed to find 4 consecutive albums better than Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, and Life's Rich Pageant.

Anyway, back on topic....how about Believe by Cher? Wasn't that the first time autotune was introduced? We have her to thank for that.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 01:18 PM ----------

Glad to see the REM love. You'd be hard pressed to find 4 consecutive albums better than Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, and Life's Rich Pageant.

Anyway, back on topic....how about Believe by Cher? Wasn't that the first time autotune was introduced? We have her to thank for that.

You have Eponymous for the early indie stuff and "Greatest Hits" for the 90s "Biggest Band in the World" stuff. There is a two-CD greatest hits that has a really neat bonus disc.

I think "Murmur" is pretty amazing from top to bottom as is "Automatic For the People." I'm also one of the biggest apologists in the world for "Monster."

The one problem with the Greatest Hits approach is that you lose the odd Mike Mills led song' date=' which I nearly always love.

Agree on "Murmur, and definitely agree on "Monster".. i love that album for some reason. It's like a guilty pleasure. I shouldn't like it as much as I do.

For me the Song I Never Want To Hear Again... there's a lot of them, but right now I'll go with:

"Black Hole Sun" from Soundgarden, who other than Chris Cornell were IMO a VASTLY overrated band... ie: they sucked ass except for the great vocalist.

"Suck My Kiss" from RHCP, and really I could do without most of their songs. I like so few of them i could probably count them on one hand. Anthony Keidis' voice makes me want to punch him in the mouth. if it weren't for him, I'd probably like them a lot more. But once he opens his yap, it's over.

Almost anything from AC/DC, excluding Bon Scott material. Loved that old stuff. Anything since he died is so tired and played out I can't take it.

"Crazy Train" from Ozzy.. sorry, but when you're the intro to every sports team in the world it seems, it tends to get a bit played.

~Bang

Agree on "Murmur, and definitely agree on "Monster".. i love that album for some reason. It's like a guilty pleasure. I shouldn't like it as much as I do.

It's the one album where it just seemed like they went into the studio and played music because they wanted to go into a studio and play music. Even on the early indie stuff, they sounded like they were trying to be "important." "Monster" for me works in the exact same way that "Pop" and "Zooropa" from U2 do not work.

For the record, I think New Adventures in Hi Fi is almost perfect.

Not really unless you believe ignorance is bliss. Cher just simply used it in a way that made it obvious so now we knew autotune existed but it had been in use by the music industry for several years before Cher's song forced us out of our ignorance.

Mention of Cher reminds me of the best movie treatment of a song you never want to hear again - when Bill Murray woke up over and over again to "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher in Groundhog Day. That alone almost drove him off the deep end.

Bill Berry had a brain anuerysm on stage in a foreign country. If you were wealthy at that point that might make you want to retire. Accelerate is the worst rock album you've ever heard? Really? I liked a couple of tracks on it but far from the worst thing I ever heard.

And where are you hearing Minnie Riperton so much to the point that you never want to hear that song again?

Accelerate is really, really bad. Sorry. Not a single track on that album is memorable. Michael Stipe sounds like he has laryngitis in every song. I was really disappointed.

I've probably heard Loving You 5 or 6 times in my life. It is a song I never ever want to hear again.

• 1 year later...

*bump :gus:

Along with many listed here I'll add...

We Are the Champions -Queen

Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Let's Get It Started The Black Eyed Peas

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - Steam

The Uprising-Muse I can't stand that song.

Anything by Niki Minaj. I hadn't really heard anything that she did until I was in someone else's car listening. Her voice is annoying and her raps make no sense. It is like she makes random statements that don't go together except the fact that they rhyme.

This may have been mentioned.. I didn't read through all of the pages but I just heard this song and thought about jamming a couple of pens in my ears.

Red Solo Cup... Hated this song when I first heard it and it seems like it's all they play on this terrible radio station that they play at work. BLAH!!!!

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Originally an OK song, but so goddamn overplayed on classic rock radio I can't stand listening to it anymore. Oh, and for some reason the line "thunder only happens when it's raining" irritates the hell out of me because it's just plain wrong.

Murmur is such a damn good album. I first listened to it two years ago. Wow, great sound.

Wonderwall. Oasis gets a lot of flack but their first album, Definitely Maybe is great. Great guitar tone and takes from a lot of past British stars like The Stone Roses and The Beatles. I'm not nearly as big a fan of Morning Glory which is what made them arguably the biggest band in the world for a time in 1995/96. Wonderwall, ugh, unless it's instrumentals, turn it off unless I'm drunk. Probably the 4th or 5th best song on Morning Glory alone.

A great Oasis track is the opening to Definitely Maybe, Rock n Roll Star.

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Originally an OK song, but so goddamn overplayed on classic rock radio I can't stand listening to it anymore. Oh, and for some reason the line "thunder only happens when it's raining" irritates the hell out of me because it's just plain wrong.

:ols: , though I love Fleetwood Mac, I have always wondered about that line also. Apparently Nicks has never heard of thunder-snow.

Archived