Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Songs You Never Ever Ever Want to Hear Again

I know they have one or two such albums out there, but R.E.M. to me was a band that needed a Greatest Hits badly. I always felt like every one of their CD's had about 2-3 three good songs and then a ton of crap. Now admittedly, I only personally own three of their albums (Document, Green, Monster) but I've heard the rest via friends and I know my personal favorite song by them (Welcome to the Occupation) will never sniff any future compilation, so maybe my taste is off. I think they have enough songs to make a great "hits" album, as has been done, but to me, many of their individual offerings were weak.

You have Eponymous for the early indie stuff and "Greatest Hits" for the 90s "Biggest Band in the World" stuff. There is a two-CD greatest hits that has a really neat bonus disc.

I think "Murmur" is pretty amazing from top to bottom as is "Automatic For the People." I'm also one of the biggest apologists in the world for "Monster."

The one problem with the Greatest Hits approach is that you lose the odd Mike Mills led song, which I nearly always love.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 09:45 AM ----------

Eponymous

Probably one of my favorite cassettes circa 1990

Finding out that "Fall On Me" was Michael Stipe's favorite song made me feel weird inside because it's my favorite REM song and I don't like the idea of lining up with Michael Stipe's opinions on pretty much anything.

R.E.M was great until their drummer left to be a farmer or something. Just about everything they did after New Adventures in Hi Fi is really bad. Accelerate is the single worst rock album I've ever heard.

And my nomination for this thread is "Loving You" by Minne Riperton.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Finding out that "Fall On Me" was Michael Stipe's favorite song made me feel weird inside because it's my favorite REM song and I don't like the idea of lining up with Michael Stipe's opinions on pretty much anything.

That's a great song that not alot of people seem to know. And I agree with what you said about Mike Mills.

R.E.M was great until their drummer left to be a farmer or something. Just about everything they did after New Adventures in Hi Fi is really bad. Accelerate is the single worst rock album I've ever heard.

I did not know that. I did not really care for the new album

Monster and Automatic for the People were my favorite albums

Unrelated note: Social Distortion's Hard Times and Nursey Rhymes is fantastic

Unrelated note: Social Distortion's Hard Times and Nursey Rhymes is fantastic

I'm such a Mike Ness apologist that I can't even discuss Social Distortion rationally.

There are just certain artists that hit my sweet spot so completely on one or two albums that I will forgive them of anything after that. Mike Ness could kill a pony on national tv to a soundtrack of "Bad Luck" remixed by Dr. Luke and I would be like, "I'm sure he has a good reason for all of this."

I am Johnny Irony. That song went so far beyond Ironic that it circled the Earth and came back to Sincere.

I see a young Michael Stipe nursing a beer at the 40 Watt Club in his dark clothes brooding as the Athens debs and pretty frat boys play, blind to him and his type. So he writes a song that mocks them, and the best part is he knows they'll play it loud and oblivously sing it at the frat parties - his best revenge.

...Though that illusion gets damaged for me any time I see that insipid video they made for the song. God knows what they were thinking when they made that.

BTW, spot on about Kate Pierson. That explains the whole success of the B-52s.

I'm such a Mike Ness apologist that I can't even discuss Social Distortion rationally.

There are just certain artists that hit my sweet spot so completely on one or two albums that I will forgive them of anything after that. Mike Ness could kill a pony on national tv to a soundtrack of "Bad Luck" remixed by Dr. Luke and I would be like' date=' "I'm sure he has a good reason for all of this."[/quote']

I'm a big fan of his too. I can't stop listening to their new album. IMO, it blows away all of their previous stuff.

You have Eponymous for the early indie stuff and "Greatest Hits" for the 90s "Biggest Band in the World" stuff. There is a two-CD greatest hits that has a really neat bonus disc.

I did say in my post (this is directed to you and Zoony) that I was aware they had two such albums. The point I made was that you could pretty much burn all their other albums, just keep those two hits albums, and you would be missing out on very little. I personally might keep Document, I thought that one was pretty well done, but I could leave the rest.

I've never fully understood music enthusiasts who behave as if it were still the year the music was popular. PJ O'Rourke once wrote about going to a college reunion in the early 90s and finding a lot of students dressed the way he was dressed in 1968. He wondered how alums from the 40s would feel if they showed up on campus in 1968 to find students dressed in zoot suits.

THAT would be really weird... because he would've had to go to the college campuses in 1998 to find the zoot suits. It ALL gets recycled, eventually.... in both good and bad ways.

THAT would be really weird... because he would've had to go to the college campuses in 1998 to find the zoot suits. It ALL gets recycled, eventually.... in both good and bad ways.

Was that swing revival the shortest fad in American history?

Every ska band in America turned into a swing band at one point in the summer of '97 and by February, they were all trying to get into business school.

People have already named him a few times, but Jimmy Buffet is pretty terrible. If I never heard Cheeseburger In Paradise again, I'd be pretty happy.

He makes corny "island" themed songs that middle aged soccer moms play in their SUVs while sitting in traffic, day dreaming about having a "strong" margarita and touring around the Florida Keys.

I understand some people like Buffet as a guilty pleasure of sorts. That's fine. But you should still be aware that he sucks as a musician. He's awesome at marketing his brand though.

(and spare me the usual Buffet defense of "But his concerts are so fun! All the Parrotheads come together and get drunk and sing along!")

YES! I'm not trying to put other people down but this dude's music pretty much sucks ass across the board. I was at a party where they were playing some record of his called Son Of A sailor or something like that. I've heard peppier songs at funerals.

wrong. Their best song is in fact Radio Free Europe

Regardless of how quickly that time rose and faded...Brian Setzer is one hell of a musician.

he sorta both preceded and lasted out the huge fad, I think. there were always FEW swing/rocker types out there, like that Joe Johnson "jumpin jive" album

Bill Berry had a brain anuerysm on stage in a foreign country. If you were wealthy at that point that might make you want to retire. Accelerate is the worst rock album you've ever heard? Really? I liked a couple of tracks on it but far from the worst thing I ever heard.

And where are you hearing Minnie Riperton so much to the point that you never want to hear that song again?

wrong. Their best song is in fact Radio Free Europe

Well, in that case, I am humbled.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 11:59 AM ----------

Regardless of how quickly that time rose and faded...Brian Setzer is one hell of a musician.

Brian Setzer seems content to play in weird genres and then just wait 20 years for the three months that those genres become a fad to cash in. He's done it twice now. My guess is that in 2017, Brian Setzer will be in a jug band and have a top ten hit.

Archived