Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you have an issue with the circus?

Skinz4Life12

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

comparitively speaking, they aren't nearly on our intelligence level. let me get this through to you guys, i'm not here advocating cruelty to animals, but w/o hard evidence to the contrary you guys are creating strawmen. as previously stated there are agencies that check on these guys to make sure they aren't treating animals in a cruel manner. i don't see the issue. why don't you go save a bunny?

go watch the video i posted on page 3 (i have 40 posts per page). thats not creating strawmen to me

go watch the video i posted on page 3 (i have 40 posts per page). thats not creating strawmen to me

can't at work, before i watch, is there a date on the video? if you read what i just posted i said that animal cruelty definitely has happened in the past, but nowadays there's no way that would pass any kind if inspection. again, i can't watch the video so i'm not even sure if i would classify as animal cruelty or not.

Good response :D

I am actually curious to see if people who are so quick to judge others and call them names, etc., are consistent in their beliefs and behavior. I would expect someone who is so passionate about abuse of animals, so against the mistreatment of animals in the circus, etc., to also be just as up in arms about how the animals we eat, or whose products we eat, are treated and abstain from that as well....

You're right though that you don't have to be a vegan to have a valid point about animal abuse....I'm just really curious.

Vegan no, but I don't eat meat, get my dairy from local farms, whos cows and goats I can met, don't support any fishing industry product, so I'm close. :D

I do fish and eat out a little too much. I don't go to one of my favorite places because they turned a lobster tank into a claw grabbing game, but I do fish.

And thank you for your other response. These types of conversations tend to make my blood boil, so it can be hard to stay on track.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 04:11 PM ----------

but that's why i'm asking if it has a date, they also have the moon landing on youtube as a video, but that happened awhile ago

Obama just last week passed a law finally making "crush" videos illegal. Soon, there will be a federal law against animal abuse. Right now, you can go beat a dog to death using a bag of kittens and get a $500 fine and 6 months in jail. It's about time we get people who are dangerous to other living things, off the street.

Nope. I eat meat, and I have no problem with hunters, and I own a dog, a parrot, 2 rats and a fish, and I enjoy the zoo. And I don't think that you are horrible for taking your kids to the circus. I took my kids to the circus once.

I still think that the time has passed for travelling circuses with large exotic animals. The animals can't be treated well in those circumstances, so the societal return on the investment is not worth it anymore.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with you at all and would not be against laws banning traveling circuses for the reason you just stated.

Vegan no, but I don't eat meat, get my dairy from local farms, whos cows and goats I can met, don't support any fishing industry product, so I'm close. :D

I do fish and eat out a little too much. I don't go to one of my favorite places because they turned a lobster tank into a claw grabbing game, but I do fish.

And thank you for your other response. These types of conversations tend to make my blood boil, so it can be hard to stay on track.

Thanks for the response, KB. It's actually neat to see someone who's so passionate about animal rights have his actions be so consistent with his beliefs :)

As far as the fishing, I don't think that's inconsistent with your beliefs. You're going out, catching the fish yourself, and eating them. I see nothing wrong with that, just like I don't see anything wrong with people hunting when they are going to eat the kill.

Anyway, not my place to judge you and that was never my intention of my original vegan question...it was more to get everyone to think about a facets of animal abuse. Plus, it's interesting to see people's responses and see where they're coming from. So thanks! :)

Thanks for the response, KB. It's actually neat to see someone who's so passionate about animal rights have his actions be so consistent with his beliefs :)

As far as the fishing, I don't think that's inconsistent with your beliefs. You're going out, catching the fish yourself, and eating them. I see nothing wrong with that, just like I don't see anything wrong with people hunting when they are going to eat the kill.

Anyway, not my place to judge you and that was never my intention of my original vegan question...it was more to get everyone to think about a facets of animal abuse. Plus, it's interesting to see people's responses and see where they're coming from. So thanks! :)

Thank you. I wasn't doing anything for a while, but then I just started noticing more and more and felt that I had the time to do something and change some of my patterns and habits in a way that would make a difference in the World. It's a small step, but the right one for me. I'm just trying to walk the walk, because my big mouth can certainly talk the talk. :ols:

I drop deer, squirrels and other game like 3rd period french and I'm certainly not a vegan. The circus is just straight cruelty. If Kunta Kinte wants to shoot an elephant to feed his tribe, I don't have a problem with it however one thing I don't understand is hunting lions and other large cats just for the thrill.

• 1 year later...

Wonder how much this will end up costing the other animal rights groups

An animal rights group will pay Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus $9.3 million to settle a lawsuit the circus filed after courts found that activists paid a former circus worker for his help in claiming the circus abused elephants.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said Friday it was not admitting any wrongdoing in settling the lawsuit. The New York-based animal rights group was one of several involved in a lawsuit filed in 2000 against the circus' owner, Feld Entertainment Inc., claiming elephants were abused. Courts later found that the animal rights activists had paid a former Ringling barn helper involved in the lawsuit at least $190,000, making him "essentially a paid plaintiff" who lacked credibility

Read more: Animal rights group settles lawsuit with Ringling - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22273969/animal-rights-group-settles-lawsuit-ringling#ixzz2GYhZ5cJk

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

The Vienna, Va.-based Feld Entertainment Inc. sued the animal rights groups and Rider in 2007, accusing them of conspiring to harm the company's business and other illegal acts. The lawsuit claims the groups were working together with the goal of permanently banning Asian elephants from circuses.

Friday's settlement covers only the ASPCA. Twelve other defendants including The Humane Society of the United States, the Animal Welfare Institute and The Fund for Animals are still involved in the lawsuit.

Oh nothing to see here I guess?

This takes care of everything. There is no abuse or harm at the circus. It's all those evil animal rights people. It's just like the farm abuse stuff. Let's worry about making it illegal to expose animal abuse at the farms rather than end the abuse.

I got a word for those people and their ilk, *******s.

Often many. Sometimes, over the years, I do get fed-up. I am still vulnerable to despair for the human condition, as often takes form here with any number of folks, at any number of times, regarding any number of matters. But then a more balanced perspective returns, usually quickly (thankfully).

Then I reflect on all the positives in the people and the things they say, and I also reflect on all my own shortcomings, and in the end (so far) decide to stick around.

<I miss the grin smiley>

There is an absurd amount of abuse associated with the circus. From B&B all the way down to dancing bears. It should be criminal.

I enjoy watching them stick up for themselves. Keep an elephant in a box long enough and it will lose it. A tiger will go tiger.

It's a cruel place, with souls sold for money and kids laughs.

Archived