Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Rumor) McNabb to Vikes (No Link)

Master Blaster

The way it looks now we need to wait until the lockout is done. That won´t be before the draft so....we can probally only get a player or a 2012 draft pick in return for McNabb.

To be honest the lockout could be a great thing for fans to watch...let´s say that after the draft they work things out. Then you have UDFA´s, regular FA´s and the possiblilty to trade....that will be the biggest madness you have ever seen because a lot of teams want to add players.

I don't think there's anything blocking the teams from working out a deal in principal to execute the second there is a CBA. There's still some glimmer of hope that the court forced mediation might lead to something.

If there is going to be a deal for McNabb, it's probably already done. The question is just when you execute it. So, if the Vikings want him, and are going to trade for him, then they know it, they probably know what they want to give up. Given that, if the CBA is done before the draft, the trade goes through, and all is good. If it doesn't happen, they know they are going to get him anyway for a 2012 pick, so they draft accordingly.

The real question is whether Bruce Allen has the ability to either convince teams that he'll keep McNabb rather than release him, or that there are enough parties interested that a trade is viable. He managed to do that with JC, and get a 4th for him, so, I'm betting that he's able to do that.

Can't trade him without a CBA. The way it's going, we'll have a Draft before we have a CBA. The Vikes can then take a QB in the Draft. By the time we do get a CBA, FA will start after the Draft. McNabb has little to no trade value at this time. Given all of this, right now he's still more likely to get cut then traded. Unless the Vikes are really stupid. The smart move for them, since they're in a win now mode with their roster is to just wait for us to cut him & then they sign him for a year or two.

This is true if teams like Minny grab a QB they like in the draft. If they don't get a QB they want (or any at all), they'll still need a QB for next season. He might have less trade value, since they know we could just cut him, but I don't think he's totally without value, even after the draft.

That being said, you think we would just cut him rather than having him as a backup? Obviously Shanny isn't worried about distractions if he's willing to just let Albert rot on the bench this year. Plus, if we don't draft a QB and then cut McNabb, we're left with...ummm... Rex?

Can't trade him without a CBA. The way it's going, we'll have a Draft before we have a CBA. The Vikes can then take a QB in the Draft. By the time we do get a CBA, FA will start after the Draft. McNabb has little to no trade value at this time. Given all of this, right now he's still more likely to get cut then traded. Unless the Vikes are really stupid. The smart move for them, since they're in a win now mode with their roster is to just wait for us to cut him & then they sign him for a year or two.

I've seen you on this point awhile now so presume that's what they are intending to do. Too bad, though. I thought with multiple teams needing QB's and not every one of those teams being in a rebuild mode, we'd be able to get something for him even if its a 5th rounder. The Minnesota papers will be ecstatic considering most of them expect the Vikings will have to cough up something to get him.

This makes zero sense from the Redskins' perspective. As you said the Vikes are in a win now mode, so even if they draft a QB they will still be very interested in McNabb as a 2 year bridge. Why in the world would the Redskins cut Donovan before exploring trade options after the league resumes? No I buy the rumors, McNabb to the Vikes for a conditional 2012 pick makes sense for everyone involved.

Thinking about it we got picks for Jason Campbell even Patrick Ramsey and we will come up with a donut for D. McNabb? Yeah I don't doubt TK's source but for me definitely disappointing if it goes down that way.

The optimist in me says that maybe, just maybe, someone, somewhere in the Redskins Front Office, has finally realized that it doesn't matter who the Redskins QB is if that QB spends every Sunday running for his life or looking up from the turf at Fedex.

The pessimist in me says probably not.

Our 2012 draft could look quite interesting because if we loose McIntosh and Rogers and potentially Brown (which I becoming more and more resigned to) then they could sign for some big contracts in the new FA which means we could have several additional compensation picks in the mid rounds in 2012 . I know we cannot trade them but would do wonders for our depth .

Add in the 2012 4th rounder we got from the Raiders. We have 8 picks next year already.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 11:13 AM ----------

FYI Vikings only have one QB on their roster right now. That is Joe Webb, a rookie last year they tried to turn in to a WR.

And that quite possibly is our leverage.

i can't see letting him go for a 4th rdr at all. i sure wouldn't do it. at least a 3 and a 5th. but as of now he is the only qb we have and is the clearly better of the 2. i for one am not so ready to just cut and burn without a clear replacement in place.grossman has no feel for the rush at all and is not under contract. Mcnabb clearly struggled larning the new offense which most expected and the oline and lack of good wr's hurt as well. the coach clearly didn't handle the whole thing well and caused alot of problems that weren't needed and shouldn't have happened.but they can still get something for him, maybe not the second they paid for him but a 3 and a 5th is not unreasonable and lessens the blow of this shot not working.they need him more than we need to get rid of him.

Add in the 2012 4th rounder we got from the Raiders. We have 8 picks next year already.

Vinny who?

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 12:15 PM ----------

Knowing the Redskins, they'll probably trade McNabb AND a 2nd rounder to Minny for a bag of footballs and some old Moss and Farve jerseys.

debbie-downer.jpg

I can't see letting him go for a 4th rdr at all. i sure wouldn't do it. at least a 3 and a 5th. but as of now he is the only qb we have and is the clearly better of the 2. i for one am not so ready to just cut and burn without a clear replacement in place.grossman has no feel for the rush at all and is not under contract.

Grossman will be resigned after the CBA is done.

Some folks think he played better than McNabb, others think he played about the same, some think he played worse.

To say McNabb is clearly better at this point is an opinion based on past performance and reputation of both players, not current on-field play. Shanahan obviously thinks he's better off with Grossman or whoever. You don't bench a guy you traded for just for the fun of it -- you do it because you think he can't play anymore.

I always liked McNabb, but now I think he's close to done and the NFL knows it. His legs are going fast, which not only lessens his threat to run, but also hurts his accuracy -- which was never great in the first place.

I would be surprised if anyone traded for him. His contract pays him like a franchise QB. Better to wait for the Skins to release him and to sign him to a cheaper deal.

It would be easy to circumvent the rules and get picks for McNabb and Haynesworth for that matter before the draft. Ex. trade the Vikings on of our 7s for their 3rd rounder this year. After the draft when the CBA is done you then trade McNabb to Minnesota for a 7th in 2012 or if they want him sooner, just release him and he can cut his own deal with them. Same with Haynesworth. We get the picks in 2011 and the other team gets the player.

HTTR

Keep in mind that the Vikes have also been sniffing around Kolb as well.

He'll end up in AZ. It's a match made in heaven.

I'd also say that McNabb would probably have more success in the Vikings downfield passing attack than Kolb who demonstrates great short-intermediate accuracy but has some difficult on the deep balls.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 02:09 PM ----------

It would be easy to circumvent the rules and get picks for McNabb and Haynesworth for that matter before the draft. Ex. trade the Vikings on of our 7s for their 3rd rounder this year. After the draft when the CBA is done you then trade McNabb to Minnesota for a 7th in 2012 or if they want him sooner, just release him and he can cut his own deal with them. Same with Haynesworth. We get the picks in 2011 and the other team gets the player.

HTTR

Lol what is that the honor code someone suggested? Players CANNOT be part of trades until a new CBA is signed, so the actual trade would be a 7th rounder for a 3rd rounder, what on Earth would compel us to then give them D Mac for nothing? And if they cut him you realize anyone can pick him up, so if he'd rather be somewhere other than Minny they could get ****ed that way too.

Sounds like the OP got the story from this... http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/08/mcnabb-talk-increasing-in-minnesota

"There is a growing sense that the Vikings might make a play for Redskins QB Donovan McNabb, who most certainly could be had on the cheap — perhaps for a conditional 2012 pick, depending on how McNabb plays this coming season. The Vikings have done their homework on nearly all of the top quarterbacks in this draft class, and unless they are willing to trade back into the end of Round One, there might not be an ideal option at either of their current picks — No. 12 in Round One or No. 43 in Round Two. McNabb would give the team a one- or two-year bridge before a young quarterback took over, whether it's a draft pick or Joe Webb, who flashed ability last season but is a long way off in the coaches' eyes."

i can't see letting him go for a 4th rdr at all. i sure wouldn't do it. at least a 3 and a 5th. but as of now he is the only qb we have and is the clearly better of the 2. i for one am not so ready to just cut and burn without a clear replacement in place.grossman has no feel for the rush at all and is not under contract. Mcnabb clearly struggled larning the new offense which most expected and the oline and lack of good wr's hurt as well. the coach clearly didn't handle the whole thing well and caused alot of problems that weren't needed and shouldn't have happened.but they can still get something for him, maybe not the second they paid for him but a 3 and a 5th is not unreasonable and lessens the blow of this shot not working.they need him more than we need to get rid of him.

We're not going to get that for him, he has no value to us and we've burnt our bridges with him. I expect us to deal him and for the best possible deal before our extension/cut deal is lost in September/late august. However, expecting a 3rd and a 5th for him is pretty much crazy. It will not happen. We can hopefully swing a deal for a 4th in '12, or maybe this year if we get the CBA done predraft, otherwise the best we could do i imagine is a 4th or 5th in '12, i imagine we could attach language that gives us a third if he performs up to certain standards, just as we did with the eagles if memory serves. I wouldnt mind a deal with language similar to that of the Jamal Brown deal, perhaps A conditional fifth or 7th in '12 and McNabb for a conditional 3rd or 4th in '12 pending results in the '11 season.

Expecting a straight 3rd and 5th is a pipe dream though, in my opinion, we are selling low, not high, and we're going to get stuck with bad recompense, it's the redskins way, the best we can do is get performance stuff in the deal to give us a better pay off if it turns out McNabb actually helps them a lot. I think that might actually be possible.

I also think expecting him to be a redskin if we dont get the right deal in '11 is enormously unlikely, we can basically add pressure till the extension dead line comes up, but no more than that. After the problems with Haynesworth and McNabb this past year, that most definitely wont be allowed to happen again no matter how bad our situation is at QB.

Our 2012 draft could look quite interesting because if we loose McIntosh and Rogers and potentially Brown (which I becoming more and more resigned to) then they could sign for some big contracts in the new FA which means we could have several additional compensation picks in the mid rounds in 2012 . I know we cannot trade them but would do wonders for our depth .

Mid round picks???

Compensation picks are usually in the 6-7th round... Maybe the 5th. I would hardly call those "mid round"

They can do up to a 3rd round... But I can't recall anything higher than a 5th in recent memory. I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting 2 extra 3rd round picks.

Mid round picks???

Compensation picks are usually in the 6-7th round... Maybe the 5th. I would hardly call those "mid round"

They can do up to a 3rd round... But I can't recall anything higher than a 5th in recent memory. I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting 2 extra 3rd round picks.

Carolina got a 3rd for losing Peppers this year IIRC but you right we are not getting a 3rd for Rocky or Rogers.

Carolina got a 3rd for losing Peppers this year IIRC but you right we are not getting a 3rd for Rocky or Rogers.

wondering, why couldn't we get a 3rd for Rogers? Id like him to stay personally, but the guy is a true shutdown corner and we drafted him in the first. Why no 3rd for Rogers?

wondering, why couldn't we get a 3rd for Rogers? Id like him to stay personally, but the guy is a true shutdown corner and we drafted him in the first. Why no 3rd for Rogers?

Peppers was arguably the best DE in the NFL and the Premier free agent last year. Rogers is not close to being that kind of free agent IMO. I hope I'm wrong (and we may resign him anyway depending on what size contract he wants and the market for him) but I just don't see us getting a 3rd round comp pick for him. Dont for get we signed Atogwe already so arguably he and Rogers net out.

Archived