Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Information please: Church of God

Teller

So I've been looking for a new church for a while now. I've had some bad experiences, which I won't get into here, but I've been looking for a new direction as far as my faith family goes.

Today, I sold a new car to a local pastor, who is a Church of God minister. I shared with him that I feel like I've been burned by a couple of bad experiences, and was in the process of looking for a new church. Of course, he invited me to visit his parish, which I appreciated.

I just wanted to see if any of my ES brothers and sisters had any information on the Church of God denomination. Please do not use this thread to bash people of any faith, or lack thereof. There are plenty of threads out there for that. I just wanted to get an idea of the Church of God's basic beliefs, worship style, etc.

If it helps in determining whether you think I might be comfortable there, I'm a Lutheran, and also spent a few years in a Methodist church when I was a kid. Any information you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think there's any way to answer that question, unfortunately. My understanding is that most "Church of God"s are entirely independent of all the others, so you'd have to judge it on a case by case basis.

Personally, I'd ask the pastor for a statement of faith (the church's, not the pastor's, though that might help too ;)), and compare it to your own beliefs. Any church should have one, as well as some sort of constiution, probably.

I don't think there's any way to answer that question, unfortunately. My understanding is that most "Church of God"s are entirely independent of all the others, so you'd have to judge it on a case by case basis.

Personally, I'd ask the pastor for a statement of faith (the church's, not the pastor's, though that might help too ;)), and compare it to your own beliefs. Any church should have one, as well as some sort of constiution, probably.

Might as well lock this one up. If tb can't answer a question about faith, it's pretty hopeless. :ols:

Nah, just kidding. I'll check into that. Thank you!

They tend to be a more charismatic style of worship, ummm, quite a bit different from what you are used to having grown up Methodist or Lutheran. People may speak in tongues, wave their hands in the air, and all other manner of demonstrative worship styles.

Funny side story. I grew up Presbyterian, my wife grew up Catholic and when we first got married we thought we would try something new, so we went to a southern baptist church that was fairly charismatic and fundamentalist. When they prayed during service, people in the congregation would say things like "yes, Lord", "amen", etc. My wife got mad at them being disrespectful that she almost walked out. We can laugh now...

Anyway, Techboy is right, they are all different. Cant hurt to try one, go in with ann open mind and see if you mesh. Sounds like to me you want to go, so do it and enjoy!

Thanks, P.

Looks like the church doesn't have a website. I probably should've delved into matters of faith with the pastor a little bit, but it just didn't seem like the right time or place. And I didn't want to end up in a position where I had to tell him that it didn't sound right for me. I may visit and just see how it goes. No harm in that.

They tend to be a more charismatic style of worship, ummm, quite a bit different from what you are used to having grown up Methodist or Lutheran. People may speak in tongues, wave their hands in the air, and all other manner of demonstrative worship styles.

Funny side story. I grew up Presbyterian, my wife grew up Catholic and when we first got married we thought we would try something new, so we went to a southern baptist church that was fairly charismatic and fundamentalist. When they prayed during service, people in the congregation would say things like "yes, Lord", "amen", etc. My wife got mad at them being disrespectful that she almost walked out. We can laugh now...

Anyway, Techboy is right, they are all different. Cant hurt to try one, go in with ann open mind and see if you mesh. Sounds like to me you want to go, so do it and enjoy!

I do. And it's funny. I was just praying before bed last night, essentially "show me where you want me to be. Show me the church that's right for me." And today I meet this gentleman and his wife. I know it may sound hokey to some, and that's fine, but I almost feel like I'm ignoring what could be an answered prayer if I don't at least go and check it out.

I'm definitely not the rock-band-during church type, and I don't have much (read: any) experience with charismatic worship, but I think I'll go and give it a shot.

---------- Post added April-11th-2011 at 03:52 PM ----------

Fwiw, I believe the Palin family are members of the Church of God.

Interesting. I don't know much about her faith, except for how it may influence some of her social positions. Not a selling point for me, but not a turn off either. :)

Though I try and practice the principles I don't like others telling me I must follow there beliefs. (or that they think they have full understanding)..... so no church for me .....

but many find church great for family community charity and such which some are....

you should always look within for guidance when choosing

Luke 17:21 (King James Version)

21Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Though I try and practice the principles I don't like others telling me I must follow there beliefs. (or that they think they have full understanding)..... so no church for me .....

but many find church great for family community charity and such which some are....

21Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

I couldn't possibly agree more. But I've reached a point where reading my Bible by myself isn't cutting it for me anymore. I wouldn't say I've been "called" to go out and find a church that works for me, but it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I almost started a thread about a week ago, to inquire about different denominations in general, but I decided not to.

I've been to a few churches that try to "tell" you what you believe, or should believe. But I absolutely need a church that fits with my beliefs; not the other way around.

so no church for me .....

Hebrews 10:25 (King James Version)

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I do. And it's funny. I was just praying before bed last night, essentially "show me where you want me to be. Show me the church that's right for me." And today I meet this gentleman and his wife. I know it may sound hokey to some, and that's fine, but I almost feel like I'm ignoring what could be an answered prayer if I don't at least go and check it out.

I'm definitely not the rock-band-during church type, and I don't have much (read: any) experience with charismatic worship, but I think I'll go and give it a shot.

Interesting. I don't know much about her faith, except for how it may influence some of her social positions. Not a selling point for me, but not a turn off either. :)

HH I say go try it out. I perfer charismatic and went to a Charismatic Luthern Church in SC. My Southern Baptist School was built in the 1700's and teached and preached like we still lived in the 1700's. The Charismatic is upbeat and fun and honestly you could feel good walking out of church. If you have any questions call me. I have yet to find a church here either as I was burnt back home so I understand where you are coming from. :)

HH I say go try it out. I perfer charismatic and went to a Charismatic Luthern Church in SC. My Southern Baptist School was built in the 1700's and teached and preached like we still lived in the 1700's. The Charismatic is upbeat and fun and honestly you could feel good walking out of church. If you have any questions call me. I have yet to find a church here either as I was burnt back home so I understand where you are coming from. :)

Thanks, Hules. Love you. :)

And ya know, it makes perfect sense. I mean, what do you do in any other area of your life where something isn't working for you? You do something else. I'm going to go.

HH,

I've seen in several of your comments that you are looking for a church that's right for you. Not a bad idea, but what about a church that's right for God?

Fair question, 100%. Care to expound on that a little?

---------- Post added April-11th-2011 at 04:21 PM ----------

A Church with a name like Church of God :silly:

It's like a trainwreck. You can see it coming, but you can't do a thing about it. :ols:

I couldn't possibly agree more. But I've reached a point where reading my Bible by myself isn't cutting it for me anymore. I wouldn't say I've been "called" to go out and find a church that works for me, but it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I almost started a thread about a week ago, to inquire about different denominations in general, but I decided not to.

I've been to a few churches that try to "tell" you what you believe, or should believe. But I absolutely need a church that fits with my beliefs; not the other way around.

Well I think you only find one that you partially agree with as where always evolving......

true it is nice to be around other seekers and learn from their experience...... though not a big churchgoer I was traveling hundreds of miles to gather with similar seekers...... just wasn't a church.....

If I was you I would just show up on Sunday to the different churches you think you may be interested in......

I believe many people do just that.

Here's a good test as far as I'm concerned. Find out where they stand on tithing. If it's presented as more of a demand, i.e. "You WILL give xx%" then I say pass. In all honestly, I rarely attend church despite my belief in God, and even when I do, I certainly haven't gotten involved with anything, I just sit in the back, sing, read the prayers, etc. I give them a couple bucks in the plate each time.

If I was an every week attendee, I'd still give them a couple bucks in the plate every week. If they demand more than that or pressure me for more money, I'll find a different church.

Dude, famous last words of a future snake handler. Just be careful man. I know you've been through some ****, so don't use anything there as a crutch.

Archived