Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McNabb & Albert staying 2011 due to no trade possibility?

haraldjun

Hopefully we will have an CBA or at least a forced NFL year the time the draft comes around cause otherwise we may be stuck with McNabb and Albert for 2011, and even worse just have to release them.

Because I think at least we could get some low picks for both of em, maybe a 3rd & 2012 conditional for McD and a 4th & a conditional for AH at least we would have some more draft ammo, if no trades allowed till later in the year maybe we can at least get 2012 picks for them.

BTW would be happy with trade back and JJ Watt, Cameron Jordan, or Pouncey maybe even OLB Smith and Ponder/Dalton/Kaepernick in the 2nd ... but we´ll see what the FO will do... really an annoying offseason....

HTTR

Trading back would the smart thing to do. Especially, if Julio Jones is still there at 10. I think there would a few teams willing to move up to acquire him, but thats also assuming a team like Browns don't take him at 6.

Theres seems to be plenty of value in the back end of this first round to move back and with the multiple needs on this football team you would think that adding as many picks as possible would be smart.

McNabb will get cut. Al's gonna rot on the bench.

hopefully the part about mcnabb is one of those situations where your right now.. but its always in motion and turns into a 4th rounder in 2012 for us. lol.

im in the minority but i wish we would give mcnabb one more year in this O and some how get Al to play, we could use the draft for other needs. we need to get some weapons

My gut feeling is that something happened between Shanahan (either Mike or Kyle) and McNabb to the extent that the relationship is not going to work.

im in the minority but i wish we would give mcnabb one more year in this O and some how get Al to play, we could use the draft for other needs. we need to get some weapons

How would paying $10 MM to McNabb be any better than paying $5 MM to Bulger, Hasselbeck, or potentially less to Leinart, Young, A. Smith?

EDIT: None of these are desirable, but why would the best solution be to pay the most money to the most washed up QB with the littlest upside?

You don't bench a guy you traded some valuable picks for on a whim. You do it because you think he's done as an effective NFL starter. And there are lots of folks in the NFL who feel the same way about McNabb as Shanny does. I can't imagine anyone paying him like a franchise QB anymore and that's what you would have to do if you were foolish enough to trade for him.

We might as well play them because this aint happening

Put me in the, "**** Albert's career up as long as we can afford a roster spot" camp.

---------- Post added April-8th-2011 at 12:18 PM ----------

I find your username to be the argument against the idea in your post. :)

How would paying $10 MM to McNabb be any better than paying $5 MM to Bulger, Hasselbeck, or potentially less to Leinart, Young, A. Smith?

EDIT: None of these are desirable, but why would the best solution be to pay the most money to the most washed up QB with the littlest upside?

I would argue that out of all those QB's listed, McNabb is the LEAST washed up (not pertaining to VY), and gives us the best chance to win in 2011. I'd take him over anyone listed except Young in 2011 AND 2012.

Draft a QB. Keep McNabb as our starter to groom the young guy and play for the next season or two. There isn't a higher-character guy in the league to learn from. Im no Shanahan but look around the league, it's a pretty common pattern when you have a guy as established as McNabb. I dont get why we're making this so hard. Will starting a rookie in 2011 really increase our chances of success vs just going with Donovan? Can we actually use our rebuilding years to...well....rebuild for the future?

You take a guy that's been coached/played one way for 11 years and expect him to be successful in a completely new system and completely change the way he plays and expect success. Only on the Redskins is this the regular way of coaching, making players play out of their positions. The only success at this lately is Orakpo and that took a couple of years. To expect McNabb to come in and reverse the order of progression and the way he looks at the field and then call him a failure if he doesn't catch on quickly.

It seems to me that the Redskins constantly play their system instead of modifying their system to the strengths of their players.

McNabb will get cut. Al's gonna rot on the bench.

The former is possible, if their relationship is truly damaged beyond repair and that they couldn't get value for them. But, I think that's only a factor with a prolonged lockout to where nothing can get done.

As for the latter, Big Al's situation, as always, is in his court. If he finally decides that he wants to be a part of this team, I don't think the staff would have a problem with that. If he wants to be a malcontent, he's going to sit. Fact is, the team doesn't have much incentive to let him go and Big Al has no power within the lockerroom.

I would argue that out of all those QB's listed, McNabb is the LEAST washed up (not pertaining to VY), and gives us the best chance to win in 2011. I'd take him over anyone listed except Young in 2011 AND 2012.

Draft a QB. Keep McNabb as our starter to groom the young guy and play for the next season or two. There isn't a higher-character guy in the league to learn from. Im no Shanahan but look around the league, it's a pretty common pattern when you have a guy as established as McNabb. I dont get why we're making this so hard. Will starting a rookie in 2011 really increase our chances of success vs just going with Donovan? Can we actually use our rebuilding years to...well....rebuild for the future?

You don't pay someone $10 MM to be a place holder.

If you want some obscure sense of stablity to help a young QB out, get a stop gap and pay him stop gap prices.

Newsflash, retaining McNabb is not a rebuilding move.

You take a guy that's been coached/played one way for 11 years and expect him to be successful in a completely new system and completely change the way he plays and expect success. Only on the Redskins is this the regular way of coaching, making players play out of their positions. The only success at this lately is Orakpo and that took a couple of years. To expect McNabb to come in and reverse the order of progression and the way he looks at the field and then call him a failure if he doesn't catch on quickly.

It seems to me that the Redskins constantly play their system instead of modifying their system to the strengths of their players.

You had me until you said it took a couple of years for Orakpo - dude went to the probowl with 11 sacks his rookie year, dont forget that.

However your point is totally valid...lets bring in Donovan, change the system he's used to, bench him, bring him back, bench him again. I firmly believe this franchise has a major issue with aligning personnel and system...if you bring in Donovan, give him more than half a season to get it together. If you draft Laron Landry, why try and play him out of position? So on and so forth.

Archived