Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your setup and cost for internet, phone and cable?

China

I am trying to reduce the cost of my internet, phone and cable services. However, I would like some type of cost comparison to know whether my pricing is high, average or low.

Currently I have bundled service with RCN: 15/2 internet, cable TV with premium HD tier & 2 HD boxes, and local and long distance phone. The total bill is $192. That is with $17 in "taxes, fees and surcharges".

I have already identified a couple of ways to reduce my bill: 1) drop Showtime/TMC will take $16.95 off my bill; 2) replace rented cable modem with purchased modem will drop $5.99 off the bill.

My wife has the idea of dropping our land line altogether. While this would seem to take $50 off the bill, the actual net savings would be just $20, because we would lose the $30 discount for bundled services.

Can any of you give me an idea of what your costs are for comparison, or if you have any other ideas about how to reduce costs, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

We have magic jack for our house phone. IT IS WORTH THE HYPE. we paid $20 for the entire year for phone service. as long as you have high-speed internet, you're good to go.

How does that work? How do you keep your phone number if you're not paying a service for it?

We have magic jack for our house phone. IT IS WORTH THE HYPE. we paid $20 for the entire year for phone service. as long as you have high-speed internet, you're good to go.

We use magic jack also, no complaints from us. The unit costs $40 but that includes your 1st year of service.

As far as everything else goes, we have a bundle for our internet and cable, it's not bad but it's the only game in town so I have no real choice.

How does that work? How do you keep your phone number if you're not paying a service for it?

the magic jack device is pretty much a big USB. plug it into your computer, and the software begins to install itself. during setup, you enter your area code and it will assign you a number (i don't believe you can keep your old number).

We've been using Magic Jack for over 2 years now, and absolutely LOVE it. Again, its $1.99 per month, $20 per year. And to think i tought Vonage was awesome when I was playing $25 a month.

magic_jack_review.jpg

Ooma FTW $$$$

The new Ooma, you buy the device and its like $3 a month (basically fed taxes) and no service fee each month. The old Ooma Core (Hub+Scout) you just buy the device and no fees ever! You can still find the old model but are sought after.

I hear Magic Jack works great. Only gripe I have with MJ is you always have to have your computer on.

Ooma FTW $$$$

The new Ooma, you buy the device and its like $3 a month (basically fed taxes) and no service fee each month. The old Ooma Core (Hub+Scout) you just buy the device and no fees ever! You can still find the old model but are sought after.

I hear Magic Jack works great. Only gripe I have with MJ is you always have to have your computer on.

Ooma is $229?

We have Fios for Internet, TV and phone. When my office closed and I was asked to work from home, I didn't want to add the expense of adding a phone line in these uncertain economic times. I bought the Majic Jack for a "business line". It works like a charm. Quality is not superb, but it is no worse than being on a cell phone.

I pay about $48/mo for verizon phone and DSL. My standard phone line is almost as cheap as it can get without paying per call made. We get 65 outgoing calls per month before they charge per call. We never hit that limit. I hate using the phone .

Directv runs about $78/mo. I have two HD boxes (one regular, one DVR) I lease from them @ $6/mo. But they credit me for one of them. So I only pay for one box. Plus $7 for DVR service.

Both figures are after all the taxes and fees they lump in there.

:secret: Threaten to leave.

I already called and ****ed today and they gave me a $20/month discount for the next year. Still looking to cut costs. By the way, thanks for the info in the thread guys!

Verison FIOS

Extreme HD Package with Starz, Showtime, movie package, 1 Multiroom DVR and two other Set top boxes

25/25 High speed internet

and unlimited phone service (not international)

Total with all taxes is 103.18

I had FIOS in the past with a much worse deal, tried to bargain with them and got nothing. Ended up leaving for Cox cable for a year and FIOS "bought" me back with a two year deal with no contract (no escape fee)

If you want to save be willing to switch companies and make it clear to them that you are.

Verison FIOS

Extreme HD Package with Starz, Showtime, movie package, 1 Multiroom DVR and two other Set top boxes

25/25 High speed internet

and unlimited phone service (not international)

Total with all taxes is 103.18

I had FIOS in the past with a much worse deal, tried to bargain with them and got nothing. Ended up leaving for Cox cable for a year and FIOS "bought" me back with a two year deal with no contract (no escape fee)

If you want to save be willing to switch companies and make it clear to them that you are.

OK, that's a good deal. You mentioned a two year deal, will your rates go up after 2 years then?

Just recently switch from Cox to Verizon internet and DirectTv...will pay roughly $95/month for two HD boxes, and one DVR. Cox was charging me $223/month for that same service except I had a phone, which I never plugged in.

Also, DirectTV has BY FAR better HD than Cox. Cox is awful.

Archived