Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Javascript Help

Duckus

I am building a website that is using a really simple JS code for a Shadowbox feature.

http://www.shadowbox-js.com/

I call the JS by using rel="shadowbox" in the <a href> tag. That opens the URL I am linking in a Shadowbox. Simple and clean.

Here is my problem/question -

If someone has JS disabled, my shadowbox/link does not work. The Shadowbox obviously can't open but the URL does not open in another window.

Is there a code that I can drop in that automatically opens the URL in a new window/tab like a regular link if JS is disabled?

To the best of my knowledge, without Javascript enabled your options are severely limited. There is this option, but it's spartan:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158456-opening-new-window-without-javascript.html

I only ever add Javascript as a critical part of the web experience when I know that users absolutely will be willing and able to use it for the task at hand (corporate intranet apps, etc.). Beyond that, I assume that the user's preferences trump my own and I tailor the site design to match, to the best of my ability.

well, if someone has javascript disabled, most of the internet is going to be broken for them. you can give them a link to your URL, but you can't open it automatically.

i suppose you could write a flash actionscript (.swf) that automatically opens a new window, but then of course they would have to have Flash installed.

personally, i think it's pretty absurd to be browsing the internet in 2011 without javascript.

well, if someone has javascript disabled, most of the internet is going to be broken for them. you can give them a link to your URL, but you can't open it automatically.

i suppose you could write a flash actionscript (.swf) that automatically opens a new window, but then of course they would have to have Flash installed.

personally, i think it's pretty absurd to be browsing the internet in 2011 without javascript.

qft

I'm not as familiar with javascript as I'd like but wouldn't "_blank" work? I know related codes use that.

EDIT: something like

<link rel="shadowbox" target="_blank" type="text/css" href="whatevercode.css" />

This is what was behind my link too. I think without JS, this is the only way.

As Dan said, it used to be that javascript was something a lot of folks would turn off for business, especially on laptops.

But it's just not necessary anymore. I wouldn't sweat someone not having it enabled.

They will be in a very small minority, and you simply can't design for everyone, no matter how hard you try.

My bangcartoon site, for example, in the last year 87% of my visitors had javascript enabled.

~Bang

Archived