Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should there even be an NFL draft anymore?

88Comrade2000

You know the owners are pissing me off with this lockout. They have ruined this offseason so far. I hope the players win on Wednesday and win the appeals against the owners; so the lockout can end. I'll be even more madder if the lockout isn't over- court ordered obviously, by draft day.

I now hope that the owners lose the anti-trust suit and the draft is taken away forever. Can you imagine the Redskins being able to go after rookie free agents?

My question: Should there even be a draft anymore? In the modern 21st century, hasn't the draft outlived it's usefulness.

Yes, there should be a draft. Its one of the most exciting times of the year for fans (this is my one selfish reason), but it also encourages parity in the league.

There are teams like the Steelers who are great in the draft, and who traditionally don't over-spend, in general. A team like that is left in the dust without the draft. And that KILLS the league that I love.

Now, I hate the Steelers. But I love a mechanism like the draft staying in place that allows a team like that to build "correctly" and compete with those who do spend lots of money in FA.

No draft? That would probably cause rookie wages to skyrocket and would lead to successful teams stockpiling the top young talent every year. Even with Snyder's ability to dish out top dollar to players, the Skins could easily be left in the dust of teams with similar financial capabilities and more recent successes.

This is a terrible idea for the game. Wouldn't it be funny if GB no longer had a team b/c that's what would happen. Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates survive b/c they play 162 games with inferior talent.

To play 16 football games with inferior talent would ruin a franchise and break them. If you want to see a league of 5 to 10 teams...go ahead and do away with the draft and salary cap.

This is the player's fault...this is a job and they get paid incredibly well. Some of them don't do their job though and ruins it for the rest of the players.

There absolutely should be a draft. It'd be stupid if teams could just buy college talent. In the end though the Skins would still suck because we wouldn't do our due dilligence and we'd just throw millions at the wrong type of players.

No draft? That would probably cause rookie wages to skyrocket and would lead to successful teams stockpiling the top young talent every year. Even with Snyder's ability to dish out top dollar to players, the Skins could easily be left in the dust of teams with similar financial capabilities and more recent successes.

Rookie wages wouldn't skyrocket because the salary cap would still apply, and successful teams wouldn't necessarily be able to stockpile talent because college talent would 1) want to play, and 2) want to get paid! For example, what top-tier QB would want to go to Green Bay or San Diego, knowing they'd only ride the bench behind Rodgers or Rivers for a bunch of years (since both are young and aren't getting cut any time soon), and would only earn back-up QB money, when some other team is offering both more money and a chance at the starter job? There's no draft for high school players, and they don't all go to a few colleges - there's still some parity in the college ranks. Plus, NFL teams are still going to make mistakes signing rookies, so that's going to have an impact.

The NFL could still have parity without a draft.

You mean like college teams? lol

Now, back to what this thread is all about....I don't believe the owners are at fault. As a matter of fact, I believe both sides are being greedy and they need to come to a compromise. Can you imagine an employee of Marriott going to Bill Marriott and asking him to open his books because I believe you are not paying me enough. Obviously there is more to this story, and I believe there will be a season this year, but it could be shortened to some extent.

Go Replacement players and bring back Bobby Beathard to find these scabs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/05/pondering-a-future-without-the-nfl-draft/

The players lawyers wants no draft. It would be kind of ironic if there ends up being no draft because of the players.

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/05/pondering-a-future-without-the-nfl-draft/

The players lawyers wants no draft. It would be kind of ironic if there ends up being no draft because of the players.

I think with the way the NFL works, they coudl probably do without a draft.

The top teams would not necessary get to stockpile talent because of the salary cap and roster limitations. Teams with elite players at a given position would not pick up the elite players at that position coming out of college, because tthey are worht less than teams without elite players.

Its different in basketball and hockey, where there is a huge falloff between the top few players and the rest, and one "superstar" can make a huge difference. In the NFL, thats not really the case.

In fact, the argument can be made that having top five picks in consecutive years actually hurts teams because they have to pay those picks very high salaries, and don't have enough left over to go after free agents.

Archived