Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: 12 killed in Afghanistan after protests over reported Quran burning

Madison Redskin

CNN) -- At least 12 people were killed Friday in an attack on a United Nations building in Afghanistan that followed a demonstration against the reported burning of a Quran in Florida last month, authorities and a U.N. source with knowledge of the events said.

Eight workers for the U.N. and four Afghans were killed, said Abdul Rauof Taj, security director of Bulkh province. At least 24 people were injured, he said.

The attack followed a demonstration against the reported burning of a Quran this month by Florida pastor Terry Jones, who gained international attention last year with his plans to burn a Quran, the U.N. source with knowledge of events said.

Read the rest of the story here.

Obviously, this *** clown is protected by the 1st Amendment, and the attackers aren't helping to dispell stereotypes about Muslims, but said *** clown deserves a lot of flak for unnecessarily pissing off Afghans and making our mission in Afghanistan that much more difficult.

I am not in favor of burning any religious books but this is not a new story. In fact, this happened some time ago. Like last year or something and I am not even certain that it ever happened. I thought that the wingnut planned to do it but called it off. Now, I'm not saying he isn't an idiot for trying to do it in the first place but honestly, it's hard for me to get behind this whole deal. If it were a Bible, nothing would be said. If Crosses or Bibles or Jewish symbols were being burned in Afghanistan or some other MIddle Eastern Country, nothing would be said about it. Killing people of something like this is barbaric.

I wonder how many will die from the Rolling Stone article/pics?

Are you really going to compare RS's reporting of atrocities committed by American soldiers to some **** burning Qurans to draw attention to his extremist views?

---------- Post added April-1st-2011 at 11:46 AM ----------

How does a "reported" burning 8,000 miles away, "make our mission in Afghanistan that much more difficult"?

I think you know. But, if you care to learn more, why don't you ask General Petraeus?

Are you really going to compare RS's reporting of atrocities committed by American soldiers to some **** burning Qurans to draw attention to his extremist views?

Yes I'm comparing a sensationalistic article and pics to another fools actions.

But being a fool is their right.

I really don't think Afghan Muslims need to be infantilized by blaming a book burner in Florida for the actions of a mob in Afghanistan. If Christians in Florida went on a rampage against a local mosque after hearing about a Bible burning in Iraq, I would blame the Christians in Florida, no question about it.

I really don't think Afghan Muslims need to be infantilized by blaming a book burner in Florida for the actions of a mob in Afghanistan. If Christians in Florida went on a rampage against a local mosque after hearing about a Bible burning in Iraq, I would blame the Christians in Florida, no question about it.

Ultimately, the attackers are 100% responsible for the attacks. However, I'm not sure why the **** in Florida should essentially get a pass for needlessly inflaming people. And, yes, based on the comments I've seen in this thread, the **** is essentially getting a pass.

Ultimately, the attackers are 100% responsible for the attacks. However, I'm not sure why the **** in Florida should essentially get a pass for needlessly inflaming people. And, yes, based on the comments I've seen in this thread, the **** is essentially getting a pass.

A pass? It is his right to burn a bible or an American flag or an Afghan flag anything else he wants to burn, right? Of course he's a total ass. All these book/flag burner types are asinine. But what exactly is he getting a free pass from? He isn't responsible for the actions of the mob in Afghanistan.

This feeling that people were "incited" is flat out ridiculous. Coptic Christians are being murdered in Egypt does that even enter the conversation if a Italian Catholic mob enters a mosque in Milan and murders people there? If the pastor in Florida had murdered Muslims while screaming slurs at them that would still not come close to justifying murder of unrelated persons thousands of miles away.

What annoys me about these stories the most however is that I don't see a strong response by the UN or related nations and to me that's a betrayal. The people that did this should be found and shot dead.

This feeling that people were "incited" is flat out ridiculous. Coptic Christians are being murdered in Egypt does that even enter the conversation if a Italian Catholic mob enters a mosque in Milan and murders people there? If the pastor in Florida had murdered Muslims while screaming slurs at them that would still not come close to justifying murder of unrelated persons thousands of miles away.

What annoys me about these stories the most however is that I don't see a strong response by the UN or related nations and to me that's a betrayal. The people that did this should be found and shot dead.

Exactly....those excuses are bull**** in this day and age.

-------

another thing, I'm pretty sure all that stuff was happening last year....I havent heard anything new about this at all.

I realize that some of you have become the torchbearers for protecting everything Islam.

Is General Petraeus a torchbearer too? I defer to his judgment on this matter. Apparently, you do not.

---------- Post added April-1st-2011 at 12:07 PM ----------

A pass? It is his right to burn a bible or an American flag or an Afghan flag anything else he wants to burn, right? Of course he's a total ass. All these book/flag burner types are asinine. But what exactly is he getting a free pass from? He isn't responsible for the actions of the mob in Afghanistan.

Has anyone said that the attackers are not responsible? No, but you can argue with yourself if you like. I said the preacher should get "flak" for needlessly pissing people off. Some posters in this thread appear to feel differently.

I might be wrong but I suspect that he's arguing that it's absurd to blame things other than the murderers and used the RS article as an example.

As I've said numerous times, the attackers are loons who are 100% responsible for their actions. Apparently, some have concluded that because the attackers are 100% responsible for their actions, it's wrong to point out that what this preacher did was stupid and did indeed incite the loons.

I disagree. I happen to think you don't have to choose between blasting the Afghan loons and the Florida loon. I think you can blast the Florida loon for doing something stupid, and the Afghan loons for doing something far worse.

---------- Post added April-1st-2011 at 12:11 PM ----------

another thing, I'm pretty sure all that stuff was happening last year....I havent heard anything new about this at all.

Nope. Read the article in the OP.

---------- Post added April-1st-2011 at 12:13 PM ----------

I might be wrong but I suspect that he's arguing that it's absurd to blame things other than the murderers and used the RS article as an example.

And as I said, it's a horrible comparison. RS is a news organization that printed the story regarding the illegal killings. That's newsworthy and serves a purpose (i.e., reporting on war crimes to inform the public and pressure the military to root out and punish war criminals). That's a far cry from burning Qurans.

As I've said numerous times, the attackers are loons who are 100% responsible for their actions. Apparently, some have concluded that because the attackers are 100% responsible for their actions, it's wrong to point out that what this preacher did was stupid and did indeed incite the loons.

You're mixing up two different things. The idiot in Florida is an idiot for burning a book. He's hateful and he's a jerk because he did what he did whether or not anything happened in Afghanistan. Nobody has let him off the hook for being an ignorant book burner. Of course, its not illegal to burn books in this country so being "on the hook" doesn't really amount to anything.

But the fool in Florida is not on the hook for the actions taken in Afghanistan. Those murders belongs the mob. You want this guy "on the hook" for something that is "100%" the fault of other people. It doesn't work that way. Either the mob is 100% responsible or they aren't.

From the article:

Last month, however, with far less attention than he attracted last year, Jones reportedly burned Islam's holy book.

The church says on its website that it planned to put the Quran on trial on March 20, and, "if found guilty of causing murder, rape and terrorism, it will be executed!"

Another post on the website says "the Koran was found guilty" during the mock trial and "a copy was burned inside the building."

Stupidly inflammatory, but he has the right to make an ass of himself.

Those responsible for the violence in Mazar E Sharif are to blame.

That said...there's something fishy about this attack.

I'm thinking this may have been an excuse/cover to do something that whoever organized this incident was already intending to do in the first place.

I have a feeling this wasn't just some random outpouring of religious rage, but a calculated assassination with a convenient back-story.

You're mixing up two different things. The idiot in Florida is an idiot for burning a book. He's hateful and he's a jerk because he did what he did whether or not anything happened in Afghanistan. Nobody has let him off the hook for being an ignorant book burner. Of course, its not illegal to burn books in this country so being "on the hook" doesn't really amount to anything.

But the fool in Florida is not on the hook for the actions taken in Afghanistan. Those murders belongs the mob. You want this guy "on the hook" for something that is "100%" the fault of other people. It doesn't work that way. Either the mob is 100% responsible or they aren't.

Plus let's not pretend the people supposedly driven to murder by a book burning are respectful to other religions themselves. Consider the following:

The United States (U.S) has been urged to use its international diplomacy in ensure the immediate release of an Afghan Christian Shoaib Assadullah.

The Regional Manager for the Middle East, International Christian Concern (ICC) (www.persecution.org) Aidan Clay who stated this said Assadullah was arrested for his conversion to Christianity and has remained behind bars a month after the release of Said Musa, another convert who was quietly granted asylum in Europe after an abusive nine month imprisonment.

He noted that while the U.S., Italy, and others eventually pressured the Karzai government to release Musa after the case gathered international publicity, little diplomatic progress has been made to free a second Afghan Christian, Assadullah.

According to him, Assadullah, 23, was arrested on October 21 in Mazar-e-Sharif for giving a Bible to a friend. While in prison, Assadullah described being physically abused and receiving death threats from fellow prisoners.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8635393-us-urged-to-ensure-the-release-of-jailed-afghan-christian

But uh yeah... they were incited by a display of intolerance by a nobody Florida pastor. Seems to me that between Terrry Jones and these murders there isn't a whole lot of tolerance anywhere to be found.

You know who were probably fairly tolerant and respectful? The UN staff murdered that were there to help.

Plus let's not pretend the people supposedly driven to murder by a book burning are respectful to other religions themselves. Consider the following:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8635393-us-urged-to-ensure-the-release-of-jailed-afghan-christian

But uh yeah... they were incited by a display of intolerance by a nobody Florida pastor. Seems to me that between Terrry Jones and these murders there isn't a whole lot of tolerance anywhere to be found.

You know who were probably fairly tolerant and respectful? The UN staff murdered that were there to help.

Too true, not enough tolerance to go around these days. If there isn't a quran burning in florida, it's incarcerating Christians in the Middle East. Very good point though, the only people who were truely innocent were those murdered at the UN.... minus the 4 attackers who were killed.

This entire issue is an exmple, at least to me, of why we can't view Middle Eastern politics with idealistic points of view. We are told that in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the people are fighting for democracy and a chance to get out from under tyrannical rule. When we hear this, we think about our own view points and experiences in our own History. but that is not an accurate depiction of how it is. Think about this now. In our own country, where we actually have Free Speech and individual rights and are protected by laws in such matters, we could never kill anybody because somebody halfway around the world burned a book or magazine or whatever the case. In this country, anybody can burn a Bible or Quran or Flag and be within their rights to do so. In a country that is supposed to be fighting for these same kinds of rights (in our minds), they find it very convenient to just throw all of those rights aside and kill people for burning something half way around the world. This is why I don't believe anybody in that part of the world will have Democracy and Individual rights anytime soon. That's just not something that they believe in and that is their choice.

You can say that it was radicals and that may very well be true but if you are going to have the kind of Government we enjoy here, you have to be able to stop those kinds of radicals.

Just an observation.

Archived