Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Small Business - Help me get a loan/capital/whatever!

Bootleg

Okay, here's the deal, I have an idea for a side business and would like input from people that have started their own businesses or know about financing.

My Credit:

History - Reasonably long and no blemishes. Paid off a $15,000 student loan. Never had a mortgage or car loan. Before I leased my car, I had a FICO of over 800.

Debt - $12,000 at 17%, $8000 at 0%, $9000 remaining in payments for a car lease

My Assets:

Bank Account - $20,000

I estimate that I will need $50,000 minimum to start it, but the more funding, the better.

Reason I am not paying off my debt is because I may be misinformed in thinking that liquid assets will help me get a business loan.

So any hints? Tips? Doesn't the government have a small business loan program or something similar?

Also, if I were to get financing from private investors, what kind of incentive am I supposed to give them? Part ownership (how much?)? Return their money with interest (how much and over what time frame?)?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Any such discussion is entirely academic without at least an outline of the business plan, the type of business and how you can prove to your investors that you're worth 5 minutes of their time..

The first places to go for financing (because you'll get the best terms) are the 3Fs.

Friends, family and fools.

My Credit:

History - Reasonably long and no blemishes. Paid off a $15,000 student loan. Never had a mortgage or car loan. Before I leased my car, I had a FICO of over 800.

Debt - $12,000 at 17%, $8000 at 0%, $9000 remaining in payments for a car lease

17%?

That's outrageous. Can you not get a new credit card or a personal loan and pay off at least some of it?

Archived