Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Garry Clark on Patrick Ramsey

Kornheiser

I don't mean to say I told everyone so, but last year, after that Spectacular Titans game, I knew Ramsey was going to be something special.

And even in the Saints game where everything seemed to go so wrong for him in the first quarter, he hung tuff and almost rallied a win.

Yea, he has the tangibles. And the intangibles. He'll be great.

On top of everything else, he has the players behind him.

Remember how Johnson (#47) turned to lead the way and block for Ramsey during his 24 yard scramble?

Originally posted by RTerps2002

I had the privalage of meeting Gary Clark on Fort Lauderdale beach when he played with the Dolphins. H ewas hanging out with Randell Hill another Dolphin receiver and was at a club called Bermuda Triangle which is now called Atlantis..

I approached Gary and told him I was a fan of his when he played with the Redskins and he smiled and said so you don't like me now... We both had a laugh a few beers and talked about the glory days he is the coolest professional athlete I have ever met.

He seems fairly articulate on TV. But Donnie Warren, bless his heart, does not look comfortable. Maybe he will get better as the year goes on.

What can be said that hasn't been? Except let's hope that Coles is to Ramsey that Clark was to Rypien.................... and------ well, you know. :)

"Sometimes I think people have already made up their mind about certain players."

Careful You may resemble that remark. :)

:cheers:

The one thing that impressed me the most about this game was that I finally saw Ramsey putting a bit of touch on his passes. That was espescially apparent on the TD to McCants. He put it right where it needed to be and with just enough velocity that none of the defenders could adjust to throw.

He seems fairly articulate on TV. But Donnie Warren, bless his heart, does not look comfortable. Maybe he will get better as the year goes on.

Comfortable, Comfortable.....dude looks like he spent half the day at the bar......I think he looked a little to comfortable, to the point that he didn't have a clue what to say.

Oh my goodness, I'm surprised that nobody has asked this yet, but is Gary Clarkdoing commentary now? I used to live that guy. He WAS the possie. Sure Art Monk gets all the Hype, but Clark was the one that went over the middle and made the catches. he was the best WR in the late 80's early 90's. I wish he had his own show on WTEM. I mean who wants to listen to John Thompson and his Mr. Fan?

I'm actually surprised the Jets DB was sitting on the curl that tightly on Spurrier's bread and butter curl-flat route. The reason I'm surprised is because the bomb to Coles from Ramsey that should've been a TD, where Coles was WIDE open, was a curl and go off the same curl-flat route. When the DB starts sitting 15 yards downfield on the curl, Spurrier runs the curl and go and usually for a TD or a big gain.

So the fact that the Jets DB was sitting on the curl after they were already burned on the curl and go is surprising. Don't be surprised to see SOS go to the curl and go multiple times with Coles if teams don't back off that curl-flat route more often. Plus with experience, Ramsey, like Grossman did when he ran the F&G to perfection, will learn to stare down the curl and then zip into the flat after the defenders have cheated toward the middle of the field curl route. It's a cat and muose game sometimes and the QB has to be smart enough to to bait the defenders sometimes and throwing the other way.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

What can be said that hasn't been? Except let's hope that Coles is to Ramsey that Clark was to Rypien.................... and------ well, you know. :)

"Sometimes I think people have already made up their mind about certain players."

Careful You may resemble that remark. :)

PARK CITY SKIN:

I just hope people give Patrick Ramsey his due. Despite Steve Spurrier & Gary Clark saying the interception was not Patrick Ramsey's fault but the WR's - people want to blame Patrick Ramsey/ people say THEY DIDN'T/WON'T see it that way.

One guy suggests I'm not watching the games. Was Steve Spurrier not watching either??

Another guys suggests if he can't see it on tape, it couldn't have happened. If only the Redskins had these games on tape too, surely Steve Spurrier could benifit the same way they do.

I'm just glad we have forums like Extremeskins to discuss reality while its fresh & in everybody's mind. So months after the season's over people aren't fudging their stats to make rhetorical points to performance related questions.

Here's hoping people can keep an open mind & give Patrick his due.

Originally posted by GainesvilleGator

I'm actually surprised the Jets DB was sitting on the curl that tightly on Spurrier's bread and butter curl-flat route. The reason I'm surprised is because the bomb to Coles from Ramsey that should've been a TD, where Coles was WIDE open, was a curl and go off the same curl-flat route. When the DB starts sitting 15 yards downfield on the curl, Spurrier runs the curl and go and usually for a TD or a big gain.

So the fact that the Jets DB was sitting on the curl after they were already burned on the curl and go is surprising. Don't be surprised to see SOS go to the curl and go multiple times with Coles if teams don't back off that curl-flat route more often. Plus with experience, Ramsey, like Grossman did when he ran the F&G to perfection, will learn to stare down the curl and then zip into the flat after the defenders have cheated toward the middle of the field curl route. It's a cat and muose game sometimes and the QB has to be smart enough to to bait the defenders sometimes and throwing the other way.

Great observations, keep em coming. :applause:

I realy don't see that INT as anyones fault. It was a great play by the defender and was clearly a move dictated by something the jets saw at halftime. Not to say Ramsey can't do a bettter job of identifying a DB who is lying in wait, but give credit where credit is due, the DB made a nice play.

Originally posted by Henry

Korn, buddy, have another beer and let it go. Gardner's not perfect. Noone's argued this point with you.

I just hope later on in life we aren't hearing you claim 'Gardner's lapses cause tons of interceptions all the time' because you remember this one game. ;)

Originally posted by Henry

PCS I think your point was abundantly clear. :)

Henry & Co (or "the ninjas" as you like to call one & other)

This is about Patrick Ramsey & his continuing improvement.

This is not about Gardner, check the thread. That "the ninjas" would take this & every opportunity to compare Art Monk, Jerry Rice & Rod Gardner on a statistical level (& think that has any bearing on reality??) only resembles a labotomized version of Sesame Street's game "One of these things! Is not like the other! Which one could it be!?".

Enjoy the season. (I know I will)

Korn, you keep bringing Gardner up. You did so in your initial post of the thread. You did again in your second post of the thread. You are doing so now.

I am so sorry for actually responding to those posts. You may notice that I was more than happy to discuss Ramsey in this thread but you keep insisting on dredging up old discussions. Now that I've responded in kind, this thread is only about Ramsey? Fine. Stop bringing up Gardner then. Or at least find where I or anyone else has compared Gardner to Monk or Rice in any capacity. Please show me you've gotten over exagerating the truth to force-feed us your points. Its a feeble tactic for someone who otherwise puts forth decent opinions, and I think you're better than that.

And that's the truth, I generally like your stuff. I really do. But you have got to get over this. Not everyone is going to always agree with every opinion you state. Sometimes you just have to put the pool cue down and to agree to disagree.

One of the best quarterbacks in the game today, I believe, is Brett Farve. Over his carreer he has PLAYED in (Not started in) a total 178 games. Over that period he has thrown for 192 INT's. Considering that Ramsey threw just 1 INT in th Jets game, I think that's pretty good. Don't try to analize a turnover too much. Even the best trhow INT's every now and then, and in the end it doesn't matter who's fault it was.

Henry, *catching a beer in mid air*

It was "The ninjas" attempt to railroad this discussion into a personal hatchet job. Telling others I didn't even watch the game because I agreed with Steve Sprurrier's opinion rather than THEIR OPINION?? referencing defeats, old discussions, etc. etc. Read the thread, it bears me out pretty well.

I, on the other hand, have only discussed other peoples opinions in this thread: Spurriers, Clarks, Warrens and "the ninjas" all made references to other discussions BEFORE I made ONE references IN LIKE to theirs). Sooo unfair of me. Most important, I have yet to introduce (much less "force feed") my opinion as a topic of discussion.

So as much as "the ninjas" relish making me their foil, I'm going to have to bow out as "bad guy" on this one.

Finally, on exageration. If you don't one year from now (remember your little quip in kind? so this is hardly unfair) use five catches as the halmark of excellence, I wont' have to bring up that RBs, TEs and some WRs catch twice that much. And even non-ALL-pros for those who'd rather not distiguish between reserves & starters. I'd hate to have "the ninjas" running Gus Frerotte in the same sentence as John Elway & Steve Young on some absurd statistical pretense. Worse, I'd had to have them question my fanhood when I do.

Just a sucker for truth

I think that we should be able to run the ball on the Falcons better then what we ran on the Jets. Why? Because the Jets had a very formadable front four but the Falcons have a smallish front four so we should be able to run straight at them and negate their speed.

With that said..If I were Ramsey, I would look for Gardner in the redzone because the Falcons D-backs are small too and he should be able to shield them away(over power them) or win any jump ball situations.

Gardner is who Ramsey needs to look for in the red zone. We have to take advantages of all our advantages in this game.

Hey guys, I grew up with Patrick, live in his hometown of Ruston, LA, spent the night at his house many times when we were kids, and am best friends with his older brother. I caught his press conference after the Jets game on ESPN news and he said that the defender "jumped the route and made a great play - good for him." Patrick IS the type of quarterback who can lead the Redskins to the playoffs and eventually into the Super Bowl but you are going to have to be patient with him as he goes through his growing pains. He is learning every day, he is extremely intelligent, he is very eager to learn, and is really happy to be a Redskin. Please just know that he will always be prepared as much as he possibly can and will eventually lead the Skins to a title. Just please be patient.

By the way, I read the messages almost every day and really admire the loyalty you guys have to the Redskins. You have a wonderful message board and seem to have really nice people discussing on it. Thanks.

Pitcherjlt

Ruston, LA

pitcherjlt

Thanks for stoping by. Give Patrick our best would ya? Trust me. I doubt if you could find 3 people on this board who aren't thrilled he's our QB. I think everyone knows he's still learning. And we all admire what he has done so far. Some of us just like to argue but we're all brothers when it comes to the Redskins.

Please keepin touch, and if you can, tell Patrick we believe in him.

Oh now Korn. You are not going to throw in the everybody ganged up on me, who me?, and I know the truth why don't all of you? defenses all in one post now are you? Let's go back shall we?

"Anyone see Garry Clark & Don Warren's commentary on Patrick Ramsey? They said, it's early for QB to be doing this well & that it is a real possiblility he could be something special down the road. Gary Clark was quick to point out the interception was the WR fault (also voiced by Spurrier on his show & Redskins Magazine - any one remember who the WR was?). In any case seems like a lot of people stood up & took notice. Guess we won't have to hear any more comparisons with Hutch' or Carter."

Oh, there was the obligatory nice thing about Ramsey, but let's face it, this was not an innocent comment. "any one remember who the WR was?" Now you weren't insinuating anything there were you? I'm thinking you knew who the receiver was. A not so subtle dig on Gardner. Hoping to have somebody say it for you? It succeeded. Several took Gardner to task. A few took Ramsey. A few took both. Then out of nowhere was your second post. A clearly sarcastic one at that. Waited awhile before posting it. Waiting for an opening were you?. Btw, S.S. never said he should have caught it. Said it was the Receivers fault. 2 different things. And you know it. Who's made up who's mind again?

Sigh. Ninjas? :doh: Gads. Everybody's ganging up on me. :rolleyes: Nobody tried to railroad anything. As I explained above. You, however, seemed to give it a nice nudge. Now that bears out when reading this thread.

Oh. With this quote in mind, I believe the fault lies with both. From George and Sonny, courtesy Fitz.

"SS: "Oh, I think he played *very* well, Sonny. The turnovers we had - the ball sorta got knocked out of his hand from behind -- this was a sensational play right here, he ducked the rusher and hit about a 45 yard throw there -- and then, even the interception he had...hopefully, i'd assume we would jump in there and at least knock that one down, the guy sorta sat on it. But he played very well, and he hung in the pocket tough and executed our plays -" there ya have it.

Good grief. Way too much time betewen games.

Mad Mike,

Thanks for the welcome. I will relay the message as soon as I can. Pat knows he has the support of the Redskin fans. He is the epitomy of a "true competitor" and is harder on himself than anyone else could possibly be. (coach, fan, commentator, friend, or relative) Be assured that everyone here in Ruston is following the Skins and I personally will be watching every game this season on DirectTV.

Best of Luck to the Redskins!!

Pitcherjlt

Ruston, LA

Archived