Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Garry Clark on Patrick Ramsey

Kornheiser

Anyone see Garry Clark & Don Warren's commentary on Patrick Ramsey? They said, it's early for QB to be doing this well & that it is a real possiblility he could be something special down the road. Gary Clark was quick to point out the interception was the WR fault (also voiced by Spurrier on his show & Redskins Magazine - any one remember who the WR was?). In any case seems like a lot of people stood up & took notice. Guess we won't have to hear any more comparisons with Hutch' or Carter.

It was Gardner's fault. He was content to sit in his spot in the zone and didn't try to prevent Donnie Abraham from jumping in front of him. Still, I thought the ball was late and Spurrier said that L. Coles in the flat was probably a better option.

I'm with you Spear. The pass was very late and Coles was open with some room to run. Gardner didn't fight for it though and that's on him. As for Ramsey, it does appear he's got an extra level to his game that many young QBs don't. But, this week a lot of the young QBs looked pretty good, so who knows.

Originally posted by Spear

It was Gardner's fault. He was content to sit in his spot in the zone and didn't try to prevent Donnie Abraham from jumping in front of him. Still, I thought the ball was late and Spurrier said that L. Coles in the flat was probably a better option.

Agreed.

Gardner had only one catch the entire game so he should make it a good one.

Coming out of college one of the positives about Gardner was that he used his size to fight for balls and could always be counted to come back for that ball. Well, that hasn't seemed like the case in the NFL. He rarely seems to come back to the ball. This is something that has bugged me about him for the past two years.

the pass was late..It should have been there when he turned around..

or

Gardner should have gone a little deeper and made the defender start backpedalling before he made his turn..

could have been either one of those really. But I think it was a curl and not a comeback and Ramsey should have let go of the ball sooner.

What is impressive is how well the passes were spread around. :D

REC YDS TD LG

L. Coles

5 106 0 48

R. Gardner

5 32 0 10

R. Royal

2 24 0 20

Z. Flemister

1 6 0 6

C. Morton

1 5 0 5

L. Betts

1 4 0 4

B. Johnson

1 4 0 4

D. McCants

1 4 1 4

That pass play when he ducked Mo Lewis and fired the ball to Coles for 40 yards or so showed me something. Not just because it was a dramatic, fluky play, but because it wasn't fluky at all. Ramsey was calm in the pocket, simply ducked the rush and fired. That was a Hall of Fame caliber play that you'd expect Favre or Marino or Elway to deliver. The fact that it was a 2nd year player in his seventh career start on national TV to open a season speaks volumes.

I don't know where Ramsey's career will end up, but I just know I'm going to enjoy watching his rise.

redman, when you couple that with the heads up scramble to get us into FG range, he's showing some great QB intangibles. it's exciting because i'd love to have him develop into a solid starting QB that we can rely on for a few years.

now i'm just waiting for him to complete a pass on some weird-a$$ underhand pass and then he'll be favre, jr. in the making.

Well, those plays were huge, to be sure. but what I like so far is the lack of unforced game-changing negatives that often plague young QBs. Sure there was that one INT, he fumbled after a blind-side hit, and yes, Spurrier slowed the game down for him, but he didn't make any truly bone-headed mistakes. He didn't have a perfect play develop in front of him that he completely blew all by himself.

The positives he brought to the game far outweighed the negatives. Considering he's a second year guy on the national stage and all, that's just as big right now.

That said, it looks like Carr and Harrington had pretty nice days as well. I'll be keeping my eye on those two.

Originally posted by Spear

Wow, are you absolutely sure the interception was on Gardner?

That would be shocking, because Gardner is the senior member on the WRs. 71 catches don't lie you know. And it's not like Gardner drop a lot.

On Patrick throwing the ball late. Come on fellows, don't blame it on Patrick. If Gary Clark & Steve Spurrier said it should have been caught - it should have been caught. Sometimes I think people have already made up their mind about certain players.

Korny,

You need to quit obsessing about previous defeats in conversations. Remarkably, you're right, you have made up your mind about Gardner. If you merely watched the game you'd know the ball was thrown late. I still blame Gardner for not coming back to the ball, but, he was already out of his break and stopped before Ramsey cut loose. But no one is all that confused by the lateness of that pass either.

Korn, buddy, have another beer and let it go. Gardner's not perfect. Noone's argued this point with you.

I just hope later on in life we aren't hearing you claim 'Gardner's lapses cause tons of interceptions all the time' because you remember this one game. ;)

from rewatching the tape I couldn't find a way to fault Gardner for it...it was a ball that shouldn't have been thrown and it was behind him...you'll have that from Ramsey...he's going to be up and down at least for the start of the season...hopefully there will be alot more ups then downs though ;)

I had the privalage of meeting Gary Clark on Fort Lauderdale beach when he played with the Dolphins. H ewas hanging out with Randell Hill another Dolphin receiver and was at a club called Bermuda Triangle which is now called Atlantis..

I approached Gary and told him I was a fan of his when he played with the Redskins and he smiled and said so you don't like me now... We both had a laugh a few beers and talked about the glory days he is the coolest professional athlete I have ever met.

How was it Gardner's fault (yeah, he could have jumped the pass and might have knocked it down but why should he read the defense better than Ramsey)? It was either a mis-read on Ramsey's part as pointed out on the Fox-5 report or bad execution on Ramsey's part. I tend to think it was a mis-read. If Ramsey had read it right, he'd probably have had a long TD pass to Coles (mostly YAC)

Archived