Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has anyone ever used an Au Pair?

Forehead

This is more of a future question. My wife and I have a nice setup with a childcare facility near where she works. We plan to move eventually, have more kids, etc, and the cost of childcare is pretty expensive.

I was looking at some of these programs that are authorized by the State Department, and as long as you have more than 1 child, they seem like a pretty good deal, price wise. But of course, price isn't everything when it comes to your kids, so I was wondering if anyone on this board had ever used one, considered it, what your experiences were, why you decided not to do it...all viewpoints really.

It also seems like it might be a neat way to have my kids (current and future) learn about other cultures, since au pair's are generally just a one year deal. That's enough for the OP though, let's hear from everyone else.

My sister uses them all the time. She has only had one bad experience and had to send her home through the agency. It was nothing horrible, she just was not doing what she was supposed to do, and being where she was supposed to be. Overall though they have worked out great and they still keep in touch and visit if they are ever back in the US.

Alright, I expected those responses early :ols: This is a legit question, however. My parents actually hosted an exchange student themselves when I was a kid, though I was very young and don't remember him at all. I was thinking of ways to combat what will certainly be a large expense in the future, and this idea popped into my head.

Now to address the jokers, I'll just start with a thank you to HH. As for what TD said, the State Department has an approved list of businesses, and those businesses have profiles, so if that were my motivation, it wouldn't be that difficult; they all have pictures and video.

My sister has one. Seems to work out pretty well...

Personally I wanted somebody who was a little older and more experienced. someone with their own car who went home at the end of the day... Taking care of a kid is hard hard work, it's drugery. I don't think just any kid can do it. Wouldn't want just any kid to do it. And that's what you kind of get with an Au Pair....

Personally I wanted somebody who was a little older and more experienced. someone with their own car who went home at the end of the day... Taking care of a kid is hard hard work, it's drugery. I don't think just any kid can do it. Wouldn't want just any kid to do it. And that's what you kind of get with an Au Pair....

The ones my sister has used have all been over 18 and you had to furnish them with a car while they were here.

Interesting...part of the deal is that they have to take a few classes, so you figure they go to George Mason, or NOVA, or something like that. Yet, I don't recall the websites mentioning how they would get there. I guess I just sort of assumed a car and driver's license would magically appear, along with an ability to remember that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. Having to transport them would certainly make things more complicated.

The ones my sister has used have all been over 18 and you had to furnish them with a car while they were here.

I put an add in the local newspaper and got nearly 50 responses. We interviewed a few until we made the decision. Got a nice lady with two grown boys who was very dependable and knew exactly what she was getting into...

My problem with an Au Pair or any young person is just the sheer hours they are with your kid. I think that's a lot to ask of somebody who has never done it. It was probable a little more expensive to go the route we did, but I just felt better about it. Like I said my sisters Au Pair has worked out great, and she's been with them for several years now.

Interesting...part of the deal is that they have to take a few classes, so you figure they go to George Mason, or NOVA, or something like that. Yet, I don't recall the websites mentioning how they would get there. I guess I just sort of assumed a car and driver's license would magically appear, along with an ability to remember that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. Having to transport them would certainly make things more complicated.

You pay them relatively dirt low wages, they live in your house and eat your food, and you provide them with a car and their is pretty strict guidence on the hours they will work for you. But realistically they need money and you need extra coverage. They'll accomadate your schedule...

My sister's Au Pair goes to college and not Nova or Mason but a school where a lot of other Au Pairs go to from her country. They have a regular social scene there.

Au Pairs are kind of like a cheap alternative to a real nany... but their are trade offs.

You pay them relatively dirt low wages, they live in your house and eat your food, and you provide them with a car and their is pretty strict guidence on the hours they will work for you. But realistically they need money and you need extra coverage. They'll accomadate your schedule...

My sister's Au Pair goes to college and not Nova or Mason but a school where a lot of other Au Pairs go to from her country. They have a regular social scene there.

Au Pairs are kind of like a cheap alternative to a real nany... but their are trade offs.

I think it's a lot like international camp counselors who come here. They don't do it for the money. They do it to get a chance to travel and get some experience, and in this case, go to school too.

My problem with an Au Pair or any young person is just the sheer hours they are with your kid. I think that's a lot to ask of somebody who has never done it. It was probable a little more expensive to go the route we did, but I just felt better about it. Like I said my sisters Au Pair has worked out great, and she's been with them for several years now.

There are different categories of au pairs that are on these websites. Some of them have a separate section for "second year" au pairs who have already been in the country for a year and know what they're getting into. There is also the "Educare" au pairs who are only available 30 hours per week (i.e., before and after school) and are best for families with school age children, but they're required to take more classes since they aren't working during the day. But most of the profiles contain their previous experience with children, and some of them have thousands of hours of experience listed.

I think if we were to go this route, I'd probably go with someone in their 20's at least, I don't think a first time 17-year old would be trustable.

Now on another note, the joke respones were funny the first five times, but besides the obvious, where is this coming from? I haven't really studied this program in depth, but do au pair's have a reputation for being sex-crazed sluts or something? I only ask because everyone is making the same joke.

I had a nanny growing up.... I don't know if she was considered an "au pair" because I just heard that word for the first time yesterday as a crossword puzzle clue, but she was from the Philippines and lived in a room that we later made into a den. She cooked, cleaned, and took us to school. Her name was Gloria, but we called her Yaya.

I enjoyed my time with her, and my mom still sends her Christmas cards. I think a nanny is a great substitute for daycare. You do have to be okay with the lack of privacy, though. I don't know if I, personally, would have one just for that reason, but it was a great experience growing up with one.

I have never had one myself, although like yours, my parents also hosted exchange students (and teachers) when i was little.. and like you, I also don't remember anyrthing about it.

on the other hand i have two friends that MARRIED previous au-pairs :)

also, you are from McLean originally, right? If you want to infiltrate the au-pair circle--- when spring rolls around, go to the the little playground that is next to Dolly Madison Library (on the corner of 123 and Old Dominion)... i have always called that the "Au-Pair playground" because it seems like at least 70% of the children there are being watched by "moms" that are scandinavian and about 19 years old.

you may use this information however you like.....

edit::: i feel i should warn you that it is usually considered fairly creepy for adult males to hang around playgrounds whithout children under their supervision...and that is even WITHOUT the au-pair factor thrown in. But you should already be aware of that fact.

I think it's a lot like international camp counselors who come here. They don't do it for the money. They do it to get a chance to travel and get some experience, and in this case, go to school too.

Yes I agree that's a good description.... I think the hours they work are something like 30 hours... Which isn't really sufficient for somebody who has a full time job and a comute. Could be a few hours more or less.

Alright, I expected those responses early :ols: This is a legit question, however. My parents actually hosted an exchange student themselves when I was a kid, though I was very young and don't remember him at all. I was thinking of ways to combat what will certainly be a large expense in the future, and this idea popped into my head.

Now to address the jokers, I'll just start with a thank you to HH. As for what TD said, the State Department has an approved list of businesses, and those businesses have profiles, so if that were my motivation, it wouldn't be that difficult; they all have pictures and video.

I actually grew up with several different au pairs. One stayed for the year and then we got a new one. From what I remember mostly French and Russian, some were guys and some were girls. It was a great way to exposure to different cultures at a such a young age. They were all pretty cool and don't ever remember a problem with any of them. The ones we had lived with us and my parents give them a car to use.

Oh, I also want to add that my siblings and I were all of the age to be in school. I think at the earliest my little brother was in preschool. I don't think it takes away from your parents or you spend too much time with the au pair.

I haven't really studied this program in depth, but do au pair's have a reputation for being sex-crazed sluts or something? I only ask because everyone is making the same joke.

I don't know if reputation is quite accurate... but you are talking about young girls who are often times pretty, living away from home often for the first time, under your roof and with a little disposable income. Do you remember freshman year in college? It's not exactly like they are wild but I think they have a reputation for cutting loose a little and socializing and finding boyfriends and what not....

For families with enfants I think their are accomidations to be made with living with a young adult going through all that.

Archived