Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports: BCS conducts shallow probe as party rages on

ACW

So let me make sure I got this straight. The conferences approve sweet heart deals to the bowls that make the conferences do things like buy tickets to the bowl game well over their real value (e.g. they can be picked up much cheaper on line). The Bowls therefore make a bunch of money (and so their CEOs or whatever) get paid well, and the school administrators get kick backs, like cruises and country club membership, paid for by the Bowls.

I hate everything about the NCAA except for the actual games.

The way they run their affairs in the major sports is shameful.

~Bang

They do stuff like this, but but then suspend players for selling their own possessions...

How do you spell hypocrite? N-C-A-A

NCAA when it comes to football is nothing more than organized crime. Kids that want to play pro ball are forced to make boat loads of money for colleges in order to earn the possibility of being drafted. All the rules exist to make certain none of those kids can ever make any money off college sports (like not even being able to sell your own damn jersey) so that the as much money as possible stays with the programs. They built a corrupt "championship" system to make sure they make as much money as possible with no interest in a process to crown a legitimate winner.

MLB has minor leagues. NBA has a D league and foriegn leagues. Hockey has minor leagues.

Football it's real simple if you want to play in the NFL you have to make the NCAA money first. Then maybe you can earn some.

Jay Bilas had a decent idea on Twitter last week I believe. He said instead of the schools paying players, let the players' sign endorsement deals.

That's a good idea. Except the NCAA would say that you can't sign an endorsement deal with an alum and in local markets that all you are going to have.

Nike is not going to pay a LB at WVU for an endorsment but a local car dealer would. And that car dealer probably graducated from WVU.

NCAA when it comes to football is nothing more than organized crime. Kids that want to play pro ball are forced to make boat loads of money for colleges in order to earn the possibility of being drafted. All the rules exist to make certain none of those kids can ever make any money off college sports (like not even being able to sell your own damn jersey) so that the as much money as possible stays with the programs. They built a corrupt "championship" system to make sure they make as much money as possible with no interest in a process to crown a legitimate winner.

MLB has minor leagues. NBA has a D league and foriegn leagues. Hockey has minor leagues.

Football it's real simple if you want to play in the NFL you have to make the NCAA money first. Then maybe you can earn some.

I agree 100%. College athletes should be allowed to be paid for playing. It's just a big money grab for too many different people at this point.

Imagine if March Madness was replaced by a BCS-like system. So much for George Mason and VCU....

We would've had Ohio St/Kansas, which isn't the case now.

That's a good idea. Except the NCAA would say that you can't sign an endorsement deal with an alum and in local markets that all you are going to have.

Nike is not going to pay a LB at WVU for an endorsment but a local car dealer would. And that car dealer probably graducated from WVU.

Maybe. I don't know how it would work, but then the schools themselves wouldn't be paying the players. I worked while I was in college, so why shouldn't athletes be able to? If the schools aren't going to pay them, at least let them do endorsement deals or whatnot.

Which is why people scoff when it's suggested that the NFL should do more to monitor scouting and agent contact with college players.

The NFL has zero reason to step in to anything involving NCAA football. It's a free farm league that also helps create new superstars on a national level. Pretty sweet deal for the NFL.

Imagine if March Madness was replaced by a BCS-like system. So much for George Mason and VCU....

Probably true.

Of course, the other side is also true: replace the BCS with a March Madness like system, and say goodbye to the underdog "little guy" schools. College basketball and college football are weird comparisons to try and make.

Of course, the other side is also true: replace the BCS with a March Madness like system, and say goodbye to the underdog "little guy" schools. College basketball and college football are weird comparisons to try and make.
Not if you have 16 schools (or hell, even 8). And as opposed to now?

The way I see it, it would be semi-similar to the NFL system. Auto-bids for BCS conference winners and then have two 'wild card' spots for non-BCS teams or something like that.

Certainly wouldn't have a huge 68 team playoff, there isn't enough time considering that you really need a week between games.

Not if you have 16 schools (or hell, even 8). And as opposed to now?

The current "one-and-done" bowl system favors the underdog schools with pulling off upsets.

Put them in a tournament and a program like Boise could make it past the 1st round, but it's not going all the way.

The way I see it, it would be semi-similar to the NFL system. Auto-bids for BCS conference winners and then have two 'wild card' spots for non-BCS teams or something like that.

Certainly wouldn't have a huge 68 team playoff, there isn't enough time considering that you really need a week between games.

The best I've scene has 11 conference winners + 5 wild cards. And before you say that's too much, there are 120 FBS schools. We'll round that to 1/8. If the NFL did that, there'd be only 4 teams; NHL and NBA about 4 as well.

---------- Post added March-30th-2011 at 07:19 PM ----------

The current "one-and-done" bowl system favors the underdog schools with pulling off upsets.

Put them in a tournament and a program like Boise could make it past the 1st round, but it's not going all the way.

I'd LOVE to see. And 28, even 8 would be better than what we have now :beatdeadhorse:

The best I've scene has 11 conference winners + 5 wild cards. And before you say that's too much, there are 120 FBS schools. We'll round that to 1/8. If the NFL did that, there'd be only 4 teams; NHL and NBA about 4 as well.

Yeah, that one sucked.

It had FIU and some other random nonsense program qualifying. You can't just include someone because they won a conference, if that conference isn't any good. And you have to make room for when there's legitimately 2 or 3 championship caliber teams from the same conference.

The "plus 1" format really is the best approach.

By season's end, it is pretty easy to see who the top 4 teams in the country are. After that it gets murky.

For example, 2001, the Canes were head and shoulders above everyone, but there were 3 teams which all had a viable argument for number 2 to face the Canes.

2007 is another good example.

Posted this in the "Auburn scandel" thread, but it really belongs here.

Saw an article (on my phone) that said that there's gonna be a push to kick Fiesta out of the BCS. (They're shocked, shocked I say, to hear that these things are going on.)

Said pressure is (supposedly) going to come from the Cotton Bowl, which isn't a part of the BCS because their stadium isn't big enough, and from Jerry Jones, who owns a really big stadium that just hosted a Super Bowl.

Edit: Link to article. (There's a lot of information there.)

Yeah, that one sucked.

It had FIU and some other random nonsense program qualifying. You can't just include someone because they won a conference, if that conference isn't any good. And you have to make room for when there's legitimately 2 or 3 championship caliber teams from the same conference.

Hence the 5 wild cards.

And SHF, last year was also a good example.

Archived