Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

GO RANGERS! I will be at my first opening day ever on Friday. :)

But our starting rotation is pretty average AT BEST. I don't have nearly as much optimism heading into this season as I did going into 2010. But I'm still pumped and I'm ready for the amazing opening day experience.

Interesting. I figured the popular pick to win the AL West would be the A's. But I remember how the Mariners were the popular pick in 2010 and they fell flat on their face. :ols:

As are too young and don't have enough offense. Trevor Cahill is going to be an ace, but everyone knows Billy Beane's methods now, and he's not able to pick up tons of undervalued prospects anymore. They are a 500 team again. If anyone is going to replace the Rangers in the AL West, its going to be the Angels (but I don't think its going to happen).

As are too young and don't have enough offense. Trevor Cahill is going to be an ace, but everyone knows Billy Beane's methods now, and he's not able to pick up tons of undervalued prospects anymore. They are a 500 team again. If anyone is going to replace the Rangers in the AL West, its going to be the Angels (but I don't think its going to happen).

The Rangers rotation as it currently stands though is pretty bad. Even I don't see us returning to the playoffs. Unless of course we make some mid season trade like with Cliff Lee last year.

I wanted to pull the trigger on the A's, but I agree with you about them not having enough offense.

American League:

East: Red Sox

Central: White Sox

West: Rangers

Wild Card: Rays

National League:

East: Braves

Central: Brewers

West: Giants

Wild Card: Phillies

World Series: Phils over Red Sox

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 04:29 PM ----------

You still have Wilson and Lewis to anchor your staff and even better, you have one of the better lineups in the AL.

I think the Rangers have as much a shot as anyone else. As no one is the clear favorite in the AL, in my books.

The NL really should only come down to the Giants and Phils.

Well I certainly hope you are right. But having CJ Wilson enter the season as our "ace" isn't a good thing. He had a great season last year. Just awesome. But him being the #2 or #3 guy is much better. Scott Feldman had a great 2009 for us, entered 2010 as our opening day starter, and then completely bombed. I'm hoping CJ doesn't follow the same pattern. And with Colby Lewis...wow. Who knew that a few years in Japan could completely turn around a pitcher's career? I can't even believe that was the same guy who once sucked for us and a couple other teams before. But will he repeat last year's success? I can't say. 2010 for Texas was all about things coming together beautifully. Players having career years (Lewis, Wilson, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz, etc.) and things just flat out going our way like it was a movie. While I do think that the Rangers are opening 2011 as a stronger team than how they opened 2010, there is just no way I see us repeating any playoff success without making a similar move at the trade deadline to the Cliff Lee deal. Even if Wilson and Lewis continue 2011 where they left off in 2010, spots 3-5 in the rotation are shady at best. Which is the main reason why I wish the team had decided to put Feliz as a starter. They just recently announced that he would remain the closer.

Might as well wear the green and gold, traitor.

:ols:

BTW - the Giants bats are better this year.

One key loss - Uribe. He hit .248 last year, with 24 HR.

Gain - Posey for more than 60% of the year. Likely rebound of Panda's bat.

How likely is it that Huff will have a second career year? How about Andres Torres? Pat the Bat was invaluable in the stretch, but horrible in the playoffs. Cody Ross may never play like that again. That's a lot of question marks.

Now, if they have the guts to put Brandon Belt in the starting lineup, move Huff to the outfield, platoon Burrell and Ross Left/Right and send Rowand to Siberia, they might have enough offense (if Belt produces).

But Sabean is more likely to send Belt down to AAA and go with "scrappy" veteran mediocrities like Ishikawa and Rowand.

AL Central

Twins

Tigers

White Sox

Indians

Royals

AL East

Red Sox

Yankees

Orioles

Jays

Rays

AL West

Rangers

Athletics

Mariners

LA

NL Central

Reds

Cubs

Brewers

Cards

Astros

Pirates

This is the only division I am going to comment on because the Cubs played well with that manager who took over after Pinella left, and the Astros did well with after that manager guy was fired. Brewers made offseason acquisitions to bolster team, including trading for Grienke. It should be very interesting to see how this division pans out.

NL East

Phillies

Braves

Marlins

Mets

Nats

NL West

SF

"My Padres"*

Rockies

Dodgers

D'Backs

*reference to Ted Leitner, not my team

American League Division Winners:

Wild Card: Yankees

National League Division Winners:

East: Phillies

Wild Card: Braves

edit: surprised no one else picked Braves to get to the playoffs I think the team is better than last year.

Might as well wear the green and gold, traitor.

:ols:

BTW - the Giants bats are better this year.

One key loss - Uribe. He hit .248 last year, with 24 HR.

Gain - Posey for more than 60% of the year. Likely rebound of Panda's bat.

Pablo Sandoval has lost weight and should regain form.

No guarantee that Posey won't have a sophomore slump year

American League Division Winners:

Wild Card: Yankees

National League Division Winners:

East: Phillies

Wild Card: Braves

edit: surprised no one else picked Braves to get to the playoffs I think the team is better than last year.

Go back and look at my post, I have them winning the NL East

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies received some jarring news on Tuesday.

Closer Brad Lidge's magnetic resonance imaging test showed a right posterior rotator cuff strain.

As a result, Lidge will start the season on the disabled list and will be out for at least three-to-six weeks, according to general manager Ruben Amaro Jr.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110329&content_id=17185814&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Archived