Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your web browser? (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The benchmark test that you posted has a differentiation from the fastest (Chrome) to the slowest (IE) in fractions of a second. When the difference between the fastest and the slowest is less than one second, it really comes down to personal preference.

Understood. But some of the benchmarks show a large difference ... 5 whole seconds for the javascript test. On sites which are very javascript heavy the difference in performance between Chrome/Firefox and IE will be noticeable. On machines that are limited in resources, the difference in performance will be very significant.

when i voted i thought i had the most recent version of firefox. turns out i have ver 3.7.x.x at any rate i love firefox. i love the addons like my redskins theme, WOT, ABP and script blocker. the addons give me an enhanced feeling of security. im one of those "if it aint broke dont fix it," guys. chrome may actually be better i dunno, but since FF meets and exceeds my needs, i see no reason to change. just like i still use yahoo as my search engine and not google.

when i voted i thought i had the most recent version of firefox. turns out i have ver 3.7.x.x at any rate i love firefox. i love the addons like my redskins theme, WOT, ABP and script blocker. the addons give me an enhanced feeling of security. im one of those "if it aint broke dont fix it," guys. chrome may actually be better i dunno, but since FF meets and exceeds my needs, i see no reason to change. just like i still use yahoo as my search engine and not google.

Really? But that's like living back in 2000.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 06:35 PM ----------

CNET rates Firefox 4.0 5 stars, Chrome 5 stars, IE 9 4.5 stars and Opera 5 stars

Chrome and love it, uninstalled FF too. Firefox gets way to bloated and uses up tons of RAM, the plug ins as handy as they are get out of hand and slow it down even more. I have an ad block on chrome and that's all and it runs great.

The world is google's *****:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/154/the-quest.html?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fastcompany%2Fheadlines+%28Fast+Company+Headlines%29

7 Ways Larry Page Is Defining Google's Future

BY: FARHAD MANJOO

March 16, 2011

2 Spur On Your Frenemies

Two years ago, Google sent a camera crew to Times Square, in New York, and asked passersby a simple question: What is a web browser? "A browser's a search engine," said one guy. Another respondent was pretty sure that "it's what I search through -- like, to find things." When asked which browser they use, most people said Google, while a few renegades stuck to Yahoo and AOL. None of these, of course, are browsers.

It's a funny YouTube video, but when your company makes nearly all its money through stuff people do using a web browser, you're laughing only to keep from crying. For many years the dominant browser, Internet Explorer, was left in a state of buggy disrepair by its creator, which just happened to be one of Google's main rivals. If people don't even know what a browser is, how would they ever know to ask for something better?

So if you've ever wondered why Google needed its own web browser, called Chrome, here's why: It needed Chrome to goad Microsoft, Apple, and other browser makers into reigniting innovation in what had become a moribund market. Everyone's efforts collectively improve the web as a whole, which is good for Google and its ad business. Even if its rivals merely copied Chrome's advancements -- superfast, stable, and, thus far, impossible to hack -- Google saw that it could achieve its larger goals. About 10% of web surfers now use Chrome, which is respectable, but not as important as pushing Microsoft to retire the decrepit IE 6 browser in favor of new versions with a string of great improvements.

Expect Page to launch even more initiatives that may seem futile when considered alone but that are, in fact, designed to wake up drowsy competitors. Think about such "puzzling" Google moves as releasing its own branded phones -- the Nexus One and Nexus S -- and competing against the handset makers and carriers that it's supposed to be courting. Or about Google's initiative to wire America with fiber-optic lines, as its plan to roll out superfast Internet to several cities suggests. Google really wants Verizon and others to pick up the pace. And when those rivals do, Google will benefit from the innovations that result.

Chrome and love it, uninstalled FF too. Firefox gets way to bloated and uses up tons of RAM, the plug ins as handy as they are get out of hand and slow it down even more. I have an ad block on chrome and that's all and it runs great.

They all use up way too much RAM.

On CNET's tests:

Chrome 10 IE 9 FF 4.0

390,532 205,616 148,020

kilobytes

But yes add-ons can certainly slow FF down.

Archived