Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Racial Biases of Duke Hating

LeesburgSkinFan

J Williams was a douche, and was only as hyped as he was because he went to Duke. Had he played at Kansas or UNC, he would have come out as good pro prospect, but since he played at Duke 95% of his games were broadcast nationally. Juan Dixon was every bit as good on the college level as J Williams was. Difference? School. That is all.

My guess is your still sore about this:

T9_pPqWfI84

Complete BS.

Without looking it up I would guess the stats would prove this to be BS as well.

EDIT:

Williams averaged about 3 more PPG along with almost 4 more APG than Dixon.

Add to that the fact that he didn't play a 4th year after graduating early and it's almost a guarantee that the difference would be even larger.

Dixon did average about a half rebound more a game though.

So a PG averaged more APG than a 2 guard? Color me shocked! Blake was the PG full time at MD. We all know Williams played a hybrid guard position. And you can't say a player would be better with his fourth year. He played, and his stats are his stats. You can't compare success on the next level either. While at Duke, and while at MD is all that matters when comparing a college career.

---------- Post added March-24th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

My guess is your still sore about this: (youtube clip)

T2UUyAzKLMg&feature=related

wMTrkOGd-X0

So a PG averaged more APG than a 2 guard? Color me shocked! Blake was the PG full time at MD. We all know Williams played a hybrid guard position. And you can't say a player would be better with his fourth year. He played, and his stats are his stats. You can't compare success on the next level either. While at Duke, and while at MD is all that matters when comparing a college career.

Huh?

Williams stats were better pretty much across the board. The fact that he was a PG scoring that many more points than Dixon says it all.

I'm aware that Blake was the PG, which makes it even more impressive that Williams was putting up that many points while dishing out that many assists.

No disrespect to Dixon, but Williams was a better player and I'm not really sure how it can be an argument.

The implication of that is that:

A) "Ghetto" is a perfectly acceptable description of a human being and

B) Duke should not allow anything "Ghetto" to infiltrate it's Ivy walls.

The problem I have with that is that Jalen Rose may have been "ghetto." He was also extremely bright' date=' extremely articulate, and a hell of a college basketball player. You can argue the same about pretty much everyone that John Thompson coached at Georgetown.

What you are suggesting is that it's not enough to be smart and good at basketball. You have to meet a certain stereotype in order to play at Duke.[/quote']

Allen iverson would like to disagree with you

[/color]

I knew it, Sore loser syndrome. Thanks though for mentioning J Will, I forgot how good he was.:silly:

EDIT: Nice a 2nd video. I always enjoy seeing all those great regular season wins by MD. How did March 31, 2001 end for Battier?

I'm pretty sure the Duhon stuff was spun out of control by people that disliked Duke. I'm not sure about the Boozer stuff.

If I recall correctly, Duhon's mother got a "cushy" (lol) $40k job working at Duke Medical Center or something as an account manager - which Duke reported to the NCAA before she was even hired.

I'm pretty sure that was a non-story that has kind of grown into something big because of sites like truthaboutduke.com

I'm so confused now. I mean, I'm told I don't like the NBA because it's too "ghetto," and yet, I don't like Duke because it's not "ghetto" enough.

Someone please clarify the position I need to take to retain my racist reputation. :ols:

I'm pretty sure the Duhon stuff was spun out of control by people that disliked Duke. I'm not sure about the Boozer stuff.

If I recall correctly, Duhon's mother got a "cushy" (lol) $40k job working at Duke Medical Center or something as an account manager - which Duke reported to the NCAA before she was even hired.

I'm pretty sure that was a non-story that has kind of grown into something big because of sites like truthaboutduke.com

Two instances of the parent of a Duke basketball player receiving employement from two of the university's largest boosters.

The Boozer situation is a lot less shady than the Duhon one...but it's still Shady IMO.

I'm so confused now. I mean, I'm told I don't like the NBA because it's too "ghetto," and yet, I don't like Duke because it's not "ghetto" enough.

Someone please clarify the position I need to take to retain my racist reputation. :ols:

I assume you're refrencing my post about basketball being a "street" sport. Street isn't necessarily ghetto in the way I'm using it. I mean more working class. And the type of swagger that goes with that. Basketball is America's soccer. All you need is a ball and a hoop. There isn't a **** ton of required equipment like say a baseball or football and you don't need a big piece of real estate. So someone working class like a Larry Bird can become a beast shooting hoops in his driveway with his father. Or an inner city kid playing with his friends on a blacktop in his neighborhood. Duke portrays the opposite of that. Now whether that's fair or not, I don't know. But I think that's reason #1 for the hate. And I think it's largely a sunconscious thing. Of course if Duke wasn't a winner no one would give a ****.

As to your BYU post, again they're hardly relevant, one, and two, their star player has that street style to his game. A gunslinger/chucker type.

And you really should give the NBA another chance, I think the whole Iverson, thug, "ghetto" era you disliked has for the most part faded. Are there still tattoos and all that? Sure. But the times have changed, tattoos are nothing anymore. Almost a cultural norm. And the NBA sure as hell doesn't have players getting kicked out of malls, fighting dogs, or involved in shootings. Now I'm sure the smaller sizes of the roster has something to do that. But I think almost all NBA stars today are eloquent and well spoken. Seriously, which top player can be referred to as a thug? Isiah Rider is dead. (Not literally)

I'm white and I hate Duke.

I hate how they get 95% of the calls, and everyone sees it except the Duke fans. I hate the way Coach K whines, he's a great coach and I respect that he's probably the best NCAAB coach of all time but I am so sick of watching Duke get away with **** that no one else can get away with. Watching the tourney I can't tell you how many times I watched a Duke big travel, get tapped on the arm and throw up their hands and start crying like they just got hit with a 2x4. I hate the constant flopping. The flopping is what really gets me. Its my biggest pet peeve in basketball and its central to Duke's defense. I ref, and there are multiple times that Duke players would deserve and unsportsmanlike technical for their flopping and lo and behold the ref is calling a charge on the other team.

And the flopping, did I mention the flopping?

And you really should give the NBA another chance, I think the whole Iverson, thug, "ghetto" era you disliked has for the most part faded. Are there still tattoos and all that? Sure. But the times have changed, tattoos are nothing anymore. Almost a cultural norm. And the NBA sure as hell doesn't have players getting kicked out of malls, fighting dogs, or involved in shootings. Now I'm sure the smaller sizes of the roster has something to do that. But I think almost all NBA stars today are eloquent and well spoken. Seriously, which top player can be referred to as a thug? Isiah Rider is dead. (Not literally)

The NBA always has something that will bring it down. I agree that the "thug" feeling has deminished over the past decade but something else just steps right in to take its place. Right now it is the joining of "superstars". When 25 out of 30 teams legitmatly dont stand a chance of winning the championship you really dont pay attention to your team.

Me personally I hate the NBA because of Superstars really outweigh teams in most cases. If you have the best player you usually win. Sure any other sport has superstar players but they dont nearly have the impact superstars have in the NBA. Prime example is Dan Marino. Dan might be one of the best QB's the league has ever seen but never won a championship.

I feel the NBA needs to move away from that premise to more of team sport. How they would do such a thing? I do not know. But I feel that is the main reason the NBA is on the decline.

The thug era in general is dying. It's being replaced with skinny jeans and brightly colored sneakers. lol The day of the black hipster is upon us. Doubt me?

14792_amare_stoudemire_520.jpg

Amare Stoudemire.

I'm white and I hate Duke.

I hate how they get 95% of the calls, and everyone sees it except the Duke fans. I hate the way Coach K whines, he's a great coach and I respect that he's probably the best NCAAB coach of all time but I am so sick of watching Duke get away with **** that no one else can get away with. Watching the tourney I can't tell you how many times I watched a Duke big travel, get tapped on the arm and throw up their hands and start crying like they just got hit with a 2x4. I hate the constant flopping. The flopping is what really gets me. Its my biggest pet peeve in basketball and its central to Duke's defense. I ref, and there are multiple times that Duke players would deserve and unsportsmanlike technical for their flopping and lo and behold the ref is calling a charge on the other team.

And the flopping, did I mention the flopping?

So you hate Duke because the refs won't do their job?

The fact that they get a disproportionate amount of bad calls go their way...thank God I'm not a Clemson fan.
That's actually Chapel Hill, (Carolina), who gets more calls their way than anybody. The team that Clemson got jobbed against in the ACC tournament, Washington got jobbed against in the last NCAA game, and even Duke got jobbed against them in the ACC championship (didn't affect the outcome, just kept it closer)

Archived