Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MD Governor Martin O'Malley raises Retirement Contributions and OOP Insurance Expenses, no one cares

Homercles82

For benefits earned for service in FY 2012 and future years, active employees and teachers are offered a one-time choice between:

1. Continue to pay 5% of salary towards retirement with adjusted benefit (1.5% benefit multiplier for each future year of service rather than current 1.8% benefit multiplier).
  2. Increase contribution to retirement from 5% to 7% of pay and continue to earn benefits at the current level (1.8% benefit multiplier for each future year of service).

Future employees and teachers

New employees will automatically be required to contribute 7% of salary and receive a 1.5% benefit multiplier. In addition, year of benefit vesting will move from the current five years of service to ten years. Early retirement age will increase from the current 55 to 60, and the benefit will be calculated on the highest five years of salary rather than the highest three years. Finally, cost of living adjustments will be based on investment benchmarks.

In addition, the Governor announced plans to direct the appropriate Compensation Commissions to review pensions for elected officials for sustainability and fairness.

Health benefits

Almost half of the unfunded liability associated with retiree health benefits relates to Maryland’s prescription drug benefit. For current retirees, the proposes reform plan establishes a state-run Medicare Part D-like plan that mirrors the federal program but fills the current coverage gap. In 2020, the plan transitions these retirees to Medicare Part D coverage in 2020 when the coverage gap is phased out.

For active employees, the proposed plan aligns co-pays with national trends and raises out-of-pocket caps from $700 to $1,000 for individuals and $1,500 for couples.

The current unfunded liability of retiree health insurance stands at $16 billion. After the proposed reforms, that figure drops by almost 50%.

http://www.governor.maryland.gov/pressreleases/110121.asp

He's not a Monster, He's a very very liberal Governor that is just looking out for his State and although times are tough he will always look out after the working man.

That Wisconsin Governor is just evil.

The current unfunded liability of retiree health insurance stands at $16 billion. After the proposed reforms, that figure drops by almost 50%.

Not too shabby for (in my opinion) tiny moves.

He cut almost 8 billion and people arn't screaming about death and starvation? Yet.

Though to be a proper Republican I have to do the standard tactic:

Following up on a Washington Times report that Governor Martin O'Malley approved over $600,000 in pay raises for his top aides, the Times has now uncovered that O'Malley has created a new pay grade to give higher salaries to staff who were capped out from earning more.

:) its too easy. Your move DRSmith

Again I would reform the health care system and retirement system

Single payer would drop costs and take care of part of those unfunded liabilities everyone complains about

The more I look at it the better the idea of semi retirement is than full retirement

For Consistency: From the Wisconsin Gov:

Baculus: So much for those freedom loving Republicans . . .

Some right-wingers want to crush unions, and this is only the litmus test for future efforts to do so.

Destino: So much for individual rights. This tin horn governor is now deciding for people how they can and can negotiate the compensation for their own labor. He's threatening to roll out the armed guards just to complete the thug image. Par for the course for the GOP though.

Ferguson: Tip of the hat to the GOP and their tea-party allies. As always when one of the political parties get power they over-reach and go way too far.

Asburyskinsfan: Sure you can, it's called being a Republican

DrSmith: The Republican party has basically became the combination of corporate self interest and self righteous religous dictocrats

A far cry from people like Lincoln and Barry Goldwater

please be consistent.

The unions in Wisconsin agreed to the same kinds of things with about the same level of protest.

I think no one would have had any problems with Wisconsin had the other parts of the bill in regards to collective bargaining been left out and the tax cuts

From a quick read it seems Maryland is also looking at rasing tax revenues

The Teachers took 3 days off and brought the kids with them to the demonstration?

Doctors were there with notes for time off.

People were bussed in from all over screaming "Kill the Bill"!

Hitler mustaches on Omally?

7 buzillion dollars in cleanup fees?

My biggest difficulty in the Wisc scenario is with the removal of the right to collectively bargain. I haven't read the article. On the surface, I have a problem with O'Malley re-writing an agreement without consent too. The teachers and Maryland agreed contractually to do "x" If one side wants to change the contract then there should be some negotiation or at least a signoff.

The Teachers took 3 days off and brought the kids with them to the demonstration?

Doctors were there with notes for time off.

People were bussed in from all over screaming "Kill the Bill"!

Hitler mustaches on Omally?

7 buzillion dollars in cleanup fees?

Completely missing the point. Wisconsin did none of those things with regards to the fiscal concessions.

Noting with amusment that the cleanup fee lie has already entered right wing lore.

My biggest difficulty in the Wisc scenario is with the removal of the right to collectively bargain. I haven't read the article. On the surface, I have a problem with O'Malley re-writing an agreement without consent too. The teachers and Maryland agreed contractually to do "x" If one side wants to change the contract then there should be some negotiation or at least a signoff.

One of things I am becoming most disppointed in is the lack of thinking people are bringing to these problem everyone is doing the same thing and all it is doing is propping up the same failing system.

You have to fix what is really causing the issues not just the dollar and cents things

One of things I am becoming most disppointed in is the lack of thinking people are bringing to these problem everyone is doing the same thing and all it is doing is propping up the same failing system.

You have to fix what is really causing the issues not just the dollar and cents things

That I totally agree with. The U.S. is absolutely horrible at prevention and forethought. I think the reason for this is that historically we are so good during a crisis that we've gotten conditioned to waiting until things become a crisis. That and the love of short term immediate profits. We really do have a candy store mentality too much of the time.

That I totally agree with. The U.S. is absolutely horrible at prevention and forethought. I think the reason for this is that historically we are so good during a crisis that we've gotten conditioned to waiting until things become a crisis. That and the love of short term immediate profits. We really do have a candy store mentality too much of the time.

One thing I have never gotten when it comes to pension why not as part of the negotiations have the pension money going back into the companies or the governments be it stocks or bonds seems to me you take care of part of your funding problems right there.

Completely missing the point. Wisconsin did none of those things with regards to the fiscal concessions.

Noting with amusment that the cleanup fee lie has already entered right wing lore.

Can you show me the 7 buzillion dollars the right wing has been spouting off about? My tongue in cheek attitude today still missing the mark as every other day. I'm consistent.

Can you show me the 7 buzillion dollars the right wing has been spouting off about? My tongue in cheek attitude today still missing the mark as every other day. I'm consistent.

You mean the claims of it costing 7 million dollars to clean up when in reality it may only cost 350,000 dollars?

I agree with this, but I also think that as much as I disagree with Walker in Wisconsin this is part of what he's trying to do. There are several naked political reasons why he's trying to gut the union's power, but he's also trying to avoid future expenses by making sure union members get paid whatever the government wants.

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 10:15 AM ----------

OK, now I'm confused. Just like every other day.

I agree with this, but I also think that as much as I disagree with Walker in Wisconsin this is part of what he's trying to do. There are several naked political reasons why he's trying to gut the union's power, but he's also trying to avoid future expenses by making sure union members get paid whatever the government wants.

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 10:15 AM ----------

OK, now I'm confused. Just like every other day.

No the whole wages of people becoming a voter issue is a cowards way out and pit citizens against each other

Wny not have all politicians and government workers work under that arrangement if he thinks it is fair

One thing I have never gotten when it comes to pension why not as part of the negotiations have the pension money going back into the companies or the governments be it stocks or bonds seems to me you take care of part of your funding problems right there.

The problem with stocks are crashes. I remember Bush wanting to invest SS into the stock market because we has a wonderful period of growth. Luckily, we didn't follow up on his plan. Long, long term it's probably not a bad idea, but short to medium term it is scary.

The problem with stocks are crashes. I remember Bush wanting to invest SS into the stock market because we has a wonderful period of growth. Luckily, we didn't follow up on his plan. Long, long term it's probably not a bad idea, but short to medium term it is scary.

Stocks can crash but with workers invested in the business they want to see it do well for their own pockets and a company that needs investment getting investment from the employees in this way means they can operate in the best interests of all and not just the outside stock hiolders

Many of these state plans were in the stock market and since it was growing they were not funding them properly and then the crash happend, if that money had been going into state coffers in the form of bond the market crash would not have affected them so much.

Keep public money in the public and private monies in the private sector.

So people in the other topic were not saying its the GOP just trying to crush teachers again, we will not get the best and brightest if we cut pay, pension and raise retirement?

They weren't using the Governor giving pay raises to his staff and friends as an examples of how he's a scumbag and part of the problem?

No? In this thread we are sticking to the 'collective bargaining over pay" as if it was the only topic :).

On the other hand, it is a pretty sad reality. Whole depts in Mont. Co are getting Riffed. I know quite a few people who met Madame Guillotine just this week. So, demanding a higher contribution is better than some alternatives.

Just shows you what pushing your problem down the road for twenty or thirty years leader to. America apparently doesn't like pipe music.

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 10:46 AM ----------

So people in the other topic were not saying its the GOP just trying to crush teachers again.

They weren't using the Governor giving pay raises to his staff and friends as an examples of how he's a scumbag and part of the problem?

They weren't broadbrushing Republicans as the problem.

No? In this thread we are sticking to the 'collective bargaining" as if it was the only topic :).

That was my main flaw. Afterall, the teacher's union agreed to pretty much every fiscal demand the Governor made. I also found it suspiscious that Wisc was not giving the same treatment to other public unions (IE firemen and policemen). That disequality made his agenda seem dubious.

Archived