Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! News: Lost City of Atlantis May Have Been Found Near Cadiz in Spain

Oversized Toddler

Amid the overwhelming international attention being paid to the ongoing tragic, and in the case of its nuclear reactors, dangerous, situation in Japan after Friday's earthquake and tsunami, it was, very understandably, easy to miss Sunday's National Geographic special "Finding Atlantis." In the special, University of Hartford professor Richard Freund maintains that he believes he has finally discovered the lost city of Atlantis.

Freund's find may seem a little less overwhelming at the moment, given the scale of the devastation in Japan and the tension over the instability of at least one of its nuclear facilities. But if Freund and his international team have finally located the lost city, it will solve a mystery that has lingered in archaeological circles and historical records for centuries.

It has long been theorized that the city of Atlantis disappeared so suddenly due to an enormous tsunami thousands of years ago, that swiftly buried it under the sea. Freund and his team chose to follow clues left behind by the philosopher Plato, concentrating their search efforts on the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea. They used radar equipment, digital mapping and satellite images, along with other techniques, to locate what they believe to be the remains of Atlantis in mud flats to the north of Cadiz, Spain.

Plato first mentioned the city of Atlantis in his dialogues, specifically Timaeus and Critias, where he spoke of a city lost by earthquake or tsunami some 9,000 years before his writing. Although Plato maintains the story he tells came from the stories of some of Ancient Egypt's priests, many have argued they were works of fiction originated by Plato himself. Others, including Freund, have treated Plato's dialogues as historical records. Freund has now used Plato's description, he believes, to find the city that the famous philosopher described.

There have been scores of locations previously thought to hold the remains of the lost city. Even as recently as 2009, Google had to issue formal statements denying assertions that the site had been found by a British aeronautical engineer, using undersea images from Google Earth. The images, or so it was claimed, showed a very marked grid of streets under the water, clearly indicating, according to the engineer and others, that Atlantis was located off the coast of Africa.

Although Freund and his team announced the find on Sunday's special, much more excavation will have to take place before the site can be absolutely confirmed. As of yet, despite Freund's assertion that the presence of memorials around the site is convincing, there isn't enough data for the international community to be totally persuaded.

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Join the Yahoo! Contributor Network to start publishing your own articles.

I personally don't know whether to believe this completely or not, considering they seem to "find" Atlantis every 5-10 years, but i have always been fascinated with the whole idea of Atlantis. I would find it comical if it ends up being true, considering most things I have read and seen on the subject of Atlantis tend to lean toward the Caribbean being the roundabout location.

I tried to post the link, but even though it appears in my post when I go to edit, it doesn't appear on here, I'm confused.

Stuff like this never pans out. Hell I remember when they "found" Noah's Ark like a decade ago. Would be amazing if true though.

That's exactly what I was reminded of, too. Arks and lost cities; they "find" one or the other every 2-3 years and then it never gets mentioned again. But apparently hope springs eternal.

Read that the other day...cool if true,and certainly a better historical fit than the Caribbean

link to rueters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-tsunami-atlantis-idUSTRE72B2JR20110312

NG special tomorrow

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/finding-atlantis-4982/Overview#tab-Overview

Thank you and thank you.

We found Troy. Whether the Spain site is Atlantis or not, we'll find it too.

Edit- I just watched one of the preview clips on the NatGeo site. If the site is geographically anything like the animated map segment says it is, it's a dead ringer for Plato's description.

...if.

I mean Troy actually existed. Is it a fact that Atlantis did?

The problem is that I don't think Atlantis is mentioned anywhere historically by any source but Plato (other than people later referencing what Plato said). No other independent texts or evidence, etc. That is the main reason that most scientists and historians consider it made up, or maybe a metaphor.

Antarctica, period. Why else would there be an accurate, EXTREMELY accurate map of Antarctica without ice? To me the technologically advanced civilization that almost every other civilization in the world talks about, rests under a mile of ice. That's the reason we've never been able to find any proof of said civilizations existence except for the few clues found scattered throughout the world.

As a caveat, I know it might sound absolutely crazy, but I personally believe when God created Adam and Eve, he didn't create on man and one woman, he created a race of men and women in his likeness. By likeness I don't think it necessarily meant looks as much as it might mean an intelligent, technologically advanced people. This civilization is in fact Atlantis and God destroyed it because they had served their purpose on earth, enlightening other civilizations, spreading technology and philosophy. However, they got too big for their britches and we're wiped out by natural disaster. I know it sounds crazy but, it's just what I think COULD have happened.

As a caveat, I know it might sound absolutely crazy, but I personally believe when God created Adam and Eve, he didn't create on man and one woman, he created a race of men and women in his likeness. By likeness I don't think it necessarily meant looks as much as it might mean an intelligent, technologically advanced people. This civilization is in fact Atlantis and God destroyed it because they had served their purpose on earth, enlightening other civilizations, spreading technology and philosophy. However, they got too big for their britches and we're wiped out by natural disaster. I know it sounds crazy but, it's just what I think COULD have happened.

That's kinda close to Scientology's creation myth, except that the advanced people who seeded the Earth with knowledge came from outer space instead of Antarctica. Maybe you should start up The ZoEdology religion! As a first step, try to convert Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

I mean Troy actually existed. Is it a fact that Atlantis did?

This! I know Troy existed and issues of the times.

Atlantis is but our dolphin overlords home till they decide to leave during the intergalatic highway shovel ready jobs program.

Antarctica, period. Why else would there be an accurate, EXTREMELY accurate map of Antarctica without ice? To me the technologically advanced civilization that almost every other civilization in the world talks about, rests under a mile of ice. That's the reason we've never been able to find any proof of said civilizations existence except for the few clues found scattered throughout the world.

I have long been a proponent of the Atlantis theory as well. I have to watch the show on Nat Geo tonight to check out this new "discovery." The location (just outside the Pillars of Heracles) and look (dartboard construction) of the Cadiz site is really intriguing.

As for an ancient advanced civilization, I think we developed a few sea-faring, stone-building, "technological" societies before or during the ice age. It was the end of the ice age and subsequent flood that reduced most of us to "caveman" status again. (Speculation, obviously.)

That's kinda close to Scientology's creation myth, except that the advanced people who seeded the Earth with knowledge came from outer space instead of Antarctica. Maybe you should start up The ZoEdology religion! As a first step, try to convert Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Also see the works of Zecharia Sitchin.

Lol, I know nothing about Scientology, but if I could get some financial backing from John and Tom I could start my own religion.

I still think God created them, without a doubt. I believe God had/has a hand in everything, but I've always struggled with the concept of Adam and Eve being two individuals who populated the earth. And there is such mindblowing stuff out there that leads me to believe there was a HIGHLY intelligent civilization on earth, way more technologically advanced that the civilizations we know of.

Like these:

http://www.zmescience.com/other/most-amazing-unexplained-artifacts/

http://unexplainedmysteriesoftheworld.com/archives/project-camelot-interviews-klaus-dona-about-the-hidden-history-of-the-earth-and-other-unexplained-mysteries

http://www.philipcoppens.com/compassion.html

http://www.unexplainedstuff.com/Places-of-Mystery-and-Power/index.html

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_6.htm

And of course all the stuff we talked about here

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?275546-6-Insane-Discoveries-That-Science-Can-t-Explain

Way too much unexplainable stuff out there to think history/creation went down the way most of us have been taught in church and history class, way too much.

Archived