Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Songs Remind You Of College (or of your first time off on your own)?

Califan007

What songs, when you hear them, instantly make you feel like you're back in the dorm studying for an upcoming test? lol...If not college, then those first few years out on your own after high school.

Just curious...and trying to drain my brain of all this stinkin' Flash coding I'm doing :silly:

For me, it would be (among others):

wAMt_XPvoQY

XovoAKVOPOM

7KYPkmGpooI

Honestly, I have more songs that remind me of high school. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the **** out of college, but I didn't really care for a lot of the music that was released in the 1999-2003 timeframe.

I mean, a lot of my music memories from that time period revolve around some foreign kids I was friends with playing club music like Eiffel 65 at all hours of the night.

Quintessential jukebox song to hear on a Friday night at the bar in Tallahassee, while eying up a sorority girl or three at the next table over and getting ready for the next round of darts or pool:

0c3d7QgZr7g

Arguably the go to dance floor song for the whole crowd to get into, after (hopefully) convincing those aforementioned sorority girls to head over to the club just down the block:

ypP8sMHo74Y

And hanging out around the fraternity house the following Saturday afternoon while cooking up some burgers or steaks on the grill and maybe playing some corn hole in the court yard:

(NSFW lyrics)

mHkRHiEjt8I

My life is already becoming way more uninteresting now, compared to my routine back in college, and it's only been about a year and a half.

I know the this says when you move the first time, but from 17/18 to about three years ago, I was all over the place. So I associate a lot of music with a lot of different places.

Texas (Fort Hood) was the first placed I moved and stayed-stayed. This is easily my Texas music memory. Probably NSFW somewhere in there...

...but I doubt you make it that far. I remember drinking with some locals and they were listening to that. That's when I knew Texas was lame as hell. For the life of me I still don't get it.

Next was Vegas. First time I heard DJ Quik. Still love this song. NSFW:

By the time I got to LA I was already pretty tuned in to the West Coast hip hop scene and history. In San Diego I started getting into reggae. Including the great Eek A Mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6r_MVjY9p0

(I promise it grows on you. Fast if you're high, but if not, it's still fun music).

Yellowman:

And my personal favs...

Black Uhuru:

and Scientist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGOJDW0TZU

And of course this San Diego, 619 classic:

Funny thing was, by that point, I hadn't smoked weed in 4 years. And still haven't again to this day. Love reggae though. I know this is a 90% rock board, I was actually a little grunge kid growing up. Still listen to it. Still love ALL 90's music. Love the Beatles and Dylan. The Doors and Zepplin. But this was the music when I left home and I still appreciate it. And I'm probably the only person on this board who has heard of any of these people except DJ Quik and maybe DJ Screw.

---------- Post added March-15th-2011 at 01:10 AM ----------

Oh and the oldies but goodies came when I got to the West Coast. Sam Cooke, Brenton Wood, Smokey Robinson, Temptations, Marvin Gaye and just Motown in general. Those still get play in some clubs out west.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic about that last one. The Daddy I'm In Love With a Gangster one. That **** was popular in San Diego but I thought it was more funny than anything.

---------- Post added March-15th-2011 at 01:17 AM ----------

You know what, I mentioned his name so I gotta post what I consider to be the most powerful song ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQU4torUz-Q

Archived