Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the Skins entertain Barber?

dcdewey

Do you Entertain Tiki? Yes... During Practice and work outs to see if he has ANYTHING left. He has been off and you can say he has rust, but he has been off. There is little risk on the Skins part to try him out and actually do so by having him have contact, not just run thud practices like Larry Johnson and realize once real games start he's not what you want.

Will it work out. Probably not. But why not try it, even with the piss poor history we have of using other teams old junk.

NO24kw1ed2.jpg

---------- Post added March-15th-2011 at 01:11 PM ----------

Do you Entertain Tiki? Yes... During Practice and work outs to see if he has ANYTHING left. He has been off and you can say he has rust, but he has been off. There is little risk on the Skins part to try him out and actually do so by having him have contact, not just run thud practices like Larry Johnson and realize once real games start he's not what you want.

Will it work out. Probably not. But why not try it, even with the piss poor history we have of using other teams old junk.

lumberg.jpg

I wouldn't entertain it at all, but this stat chart in Peter Queens article yesterday entertained me a bit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/14/labor/2.html

What would you say if I told you that Tiki Barber, in his last three years of football (at 29, 30 and 31) was more durable and more productive than Adrian Peterson was in his past three years (at 23, 24 and 25). It's true. Barber carried more times, for more yards and more yards per carry (5.0 for Barber, 4.6 for Peterson) in those respective periods.

My point is not that Barber, who turns 36 next month, would be a success coming out of retirement after four years away from the game. (With his TV career in mothballs, Barber announced last week that he intends to try to return to football if anyone will sign him.) My point is that Barber averaged 110 rushing yards per game after turning 30 -- the highest average rushing figure over the 2005 and '06 seasons for any back in football -- and, well, it wouldn't be a total waste of time to bring him to training camp for backfield insurance. On a non-guaranteed contract, of course.

How the careers of Barber (age 29-31) and Peterson (age 23-25) compare:

Barber Peterson

Games 48 - 47

Carries 1006 - 960

Receptions 164 - 100

Total touches 1170 - 1060

Avg. touches/games 24.4 - 22.6

Avg. yards per carry 5.0 - 4.6

Archived