Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Will NFL, players realize fans' power?

Brett81

"For weeks, in discussing the original March 3 expiration of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, we've used words like deadline (stretched as it was to this week) and Armageddon, but they are not the right words. The business of the National Football League is currently at an impasse, but the game of football is very much alive. The sport itself literally hasn't gone anywhere. If you love football, go into the garage or a sporting goods store and buy one. Take the ball and throw it with your kids. Play Madden. Get really muddy by playing pick up ball with your friends.

Be Tom Brady.

The business of the game is shut down, but fans have lost nothing while gaining something very important: You've learned that those who own the teams, the commissioner who runs the league and, to a far lesser extent, the players who run the routes, sack the quarterbacks and score the touchdowns have so little perspective that they believe their inability to divide $9 billion is, in the real world, important. We all know better.

The faster the owners and players realize the world can function perfectly well without a National Football League, the faster the two sides will realize just how good life is for both. The faster each regains respect for the people who buy the tickets, buy the jerseys and create the coveted ratings, the faster this labor strife will be over -- and forgotten. After all, by being willing to spend money on football religiously, you the fans are the ones who give the generally unmarketable skill of throwing a football 60 yards on a line any value at all.

Fans may lose some NFL games, but what you've really gained is power."

Click here for the rest

Normally I would put this in the Around the NFL forum, but with all the talk in the Stadium about who is to blame...players or owners...it just seemed to fit right now.

I am glad someone posted this...I saw this this morning and was going to post this but didn't. I felt the writer it the nail right on the head. I feel with all the crap going on in this world with the financial crisis, earthquake tragedy, and issues in libya and the middle east. I unfortunately think that if the NFL has a season then things will go back to normal like nothing happened. In the end it does seem like the fan can really have a huge effect on the NFL and the money they rake in.

I just posted this in another thread.

We keep talking about the Owners vs the players and what the new CBA will involve. But what about the fans? Will there be any acts of goodwill towards us? One thing i would like is if the NFL could make games available online on the official site. Or lower the price of the NFL Ticket package.

I just posted this in another thread.

The 1st thing you want is pretty unsustainable. The tv NFL contracts are what give the league a lot of its economic stability. The networks won't pay contracts so large if they know people can go other places to watch games, which is also why the Directv prices are so high-b/c the NFL has to convince the networks that not everyone will go that route.

I agree that the fans have the power, but I certainly don't agree with this part of the article:

The public tends to blame the player because it believes the cadre of ownership has more legitimate skills than simply being able to run really fast. Fans think that Robert Kraft is taking more of a risk (because he has the money) than, say, Peyton Manning.

Did I miss something?

I agree that the fans have the power, but I certainly don't agree with this part of the article:

The public tends to blame the player because it believes the cadre of ownership has more legitimate skills than simply being able to run really fast. Fans think that Robert Kraft is taking more of a risk (because he has the money) than, say, Peyton Manning.

Did I miss something?

Though my opinion isn't as black and white as that, I do tend to agree with that statement. However, I agree with you that I believe I'm in the minority among fans.

It would take a cosmic shift in perception for fans to actually act on this instead of just sitting around ****in' about it, but then, such things do happen afterall. The Berlin Wall is no more, people are protesting against despots in the ME and someone other than an old white guy sits in the Oval Office.

As unlikely as this is to happen it would be the best thing that could happen to us and to the game.

Did I miss something?

Though my opinion isn't as black and white as that, I do tend to agree with that statement. However, I agree with you that I believe I'm in the minority among fans.

Honestly, I don't think Kraft is taking more of a risk than Manning. After a sunday evening in October...do you think Manning or Kraft is going to be more banged up after the game? Is Kraft gonna need to sit in an ice tub for an hour? Is he going to have to get a couple stitches on his arm from a laceration sustained during the game? Nope...but I can tell you his wallet will definitely be heavier and he may need some help carrying it out of the stadium.

nfl_splitsw_580.jpg= scrooge_mcduck.jpg

I am not sure whose side I am on-heck, I'm not even sure I understand what exactly is going on. I just thought it was a little much for the author to make such a blanket statement-"public tends to blame the player".

I will say this-if all of this means that we don't have updates every three minutes on Albert's conditioning test, then I'm all for it!

the NFL has such a grip on the fans though, to the point where many people cant tell that without the game life goes on. Its this kinda sheep herding strategy that keeps the NFL relevant so while I agree with the statement, theres too little people who realize it like that and in the end the minority will be obscured by the millions of people that just want football

I don't think they will. Fans came back to the NHL. Fans came back to the MLB. Let's face it, baseball was dying anyway in the 90s. The NFL isn't like the NBA. The NFL is the cream of the crop and even if it drops a bit, it's still going to rule the sporting world for years to come.

The problem is that once the CBA is resolved, fans will go back to the NFL like nothing happened. People will still buy tickets, PSLs, merchandise, Sunday Ticket, etc. So unless fans stop buying that stuff, the NFL won't care what they do to the fans.

The problem is that once the CBA is resolved, fans will go back to the NFL like nothing happened. People will still buy tickets, PSLs, merchandise, Sunday Ticket, etc. So unless fans stop buying that stuff, the NFL won't care what they do to the fans.

Sadly your right, It would be great if the Fans could organize,Then they would have power.

The NFL is a powerhouse. The fans will definitely come back. The threat of this lockout has been going on for a while now... if people were going to boycott it, then it would have already started before this season was over.

Honestly, I don't think Kraft is taking more of a risk than Manning. After a sunday evening in October...do you think Manning or Kraft is going to be more banged up after the game? Is Kraft gonna need to sit in an ice tub for an hour? Is he going to have to get a couple stitches on his arm from a laceration sustained during the game? Nope...but I can tell you his wallet will definitely be heavier and he may need some help carrying it out of the stadium.

Yeah, poor guy and his "risks." My heart really goes out to him, haha.

I would think the bigger risk is for Kraft in this scenario. Payton plays for Irsay!

Sadly your right, It would be great if the Fans could organize,Then they would have power.

Fans already have power, their pocketbook.

Quit buying apparrel and quit spending money on games and see what happens.

As for me, if there's no 2011 season, I'm done.

30+ years of fanhood gone...something even Redskins' ineptitude has failed to do............Way to go Roger and Co

Just like last time, if they dress scrubs I will watch and I will cheer as I am a fan of the TEAM more than the players on the team.

I can respect that position, as long as you realize and admit that you are supporting the OWNERS by doing so. The same owners who will discard the scrubs you're cheering the second an agreement is reached.

Fans already have power, their pocketbook.

Quit buying apparrel and quit spending money on games and see what happens.

As for me, if there's no 2011 season, I'm done.

30+ years of fanhood gone...something even Redskins' ineptitude has failed to do............Way to go Roger and Co

So if there's no 2011 season then you're done? I really find this hard to believe. Once a fan, always a fan.

Those saying they'll give up their season tickets because of this are the ones that have already been thinking about giving up their tickets.

I love to watch the NBA and MLB but neither comes close to the NFL. We're season ticket holders and we're always going to be season ticket holders. Folks need to learn to roll with the punches. A NFL strike/lockout is going to happen every 20/25 years. Just deal with it when it does.

---------- Post added March-12th-2011 at 10:08 PM ----------

Some fans will boycott. Many will not. I for one will be giving up my season tickets. Don't want them. Don't need them. "Turn out the lights, the partys over."

I hope you're LL between sections 138 and 142 so I can get upgraded closer. :silly:

So if there's no 2011 season then you're done? I really find this hard to believe. Once a fan, always a fan.

I feel you, because I'm a lifelong fan, but let me ask you this ... if a fan is upset that the NFL is going to potentially sacrifice an entire season because they can't agree how to split 9 billion dollars, how do you propose that this fan shows their discontent? Write letters? In a situation where sides are fighting solely over how to divey up our money, why is it hard to believe that fans would respond in kind by choosing to withhold it from them?

Archived