Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Shanahan Hopes to Build a Draft Bounty

Oldskool

If you extend that logic out, no team has ever had a good draft since everybody is eventually no longer in the team plans. Most draft picks will never play for the team that drafted them and if they do, the average player only makes it 3 years (and not always with the same team) and many never even start. During his 5 years, Rocky was DEFINITELY above average since he played +3 years for the same team and started the majority of his games. He was also arguably just short of good, Doughty and Golston because they have played longer than average and have started are also above average. Fred Davis is also probably above average at this point in his career but looking at guys with 3 or fewer years of experience (except immediate contributors like Taylor and Cooley) is not really a tangible argument.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I guess I was thinking more of impact type players. I think Rocky is an above average, he is no longer a fit. Fred Davis does not start, in my opinion that does not make him above average. Golston, Davis, Kelly, Horton are not above average players (imo)

I understand what you're saying. It would be nice to get solid players on a consistent basis, but things don't work that way. No team in the league can say they consistently draft solid guys that are above average or even average. It doesn't even happen 50% of the time I'd be willing to wager.

The draft is a crap shoot, there is no way to effectively guess who will or won't make it. If there was a way, everybody would draft superstars. Also, Ryan Leaf would be a hall of famer, and none of us would have a clue who Tom Brady is. Being fans of this team makes us all wish we could draft HOF caliber guys, but every fan of every team feels the same way I'm sure. It's nice to hope for superstars, but you sound almost like you expect it. That just isn't a realistic hope, even though we all wish it was.

I understand what you're saying. It would be nice to get solid players on a consistent basis, but things don't work that way. No team in the league can say they consistently draft solid guys that are above average or even average. It doesn't even happen 50% of the time I'd be willing to wager.

The draft is a crap shoot, there is no way to effectively guess who will or won't make it. If there was a way, everybody would draft superstars. Also, Ryan Leaf would be a hall of famer, and none of us would have a clue who Tom Brady is. Being fans of this team makes us all wish we could draft HOF caliber guys, but every fan of every team feels the same way I'm sure. It's nice to hope for superstars, but you sound almost like you expect it. That just isn't a realistic hope, even though we all wish it was.

I don't expect a Madden like group of superstars. I just think the Skins' lack of draft picks coupled with bad draft after bad draft leaves the fans thinking grinders and overachievers are a success. Don't get me wrong, I love effort (heart and soul) guys, but I wouldn't turn down a couple of dominate players either. I know teams lose players, but most of those teams are gaining compensatory picks to replenish their rosters when teams like the Skins' overpay for them in free agency (hopefully they will be smarter now that Vinny is gone) to counteract their misses. I think its sad that we are having a debate on the merits of Golston, Davis, etc. The Skins' talent is just not good enough (imo)

I don't expect a Madden like group of superstars. I just think the Skins' lack of draft picks coupled with bad draft after bad draft leaves the fans thinking grinders and overachievers are a success. Don't get me wrong, I love effort (heart and soul) guys, but I wouldn't turn down a couple of dominate players either. I know teams loose players, but most of those teams are gaining compensatory picks to replenish their rosters when teams like the Skins' overpay for them in free agency (hopefully they will be smarter now that Vinny is gone) to counteract their misses. I think its sad that we are having a debate on the merits of Golston, Davis, etc. The Skins' talent is just not good enough (imo)

I can't argue against anything you just stated, all very solid points. I do, however, think that your disdain might be a little misworded. It sounds to me like maybe you're upset at the whole picture, the draft and everything tied to the draft as a whole. Is that what you're saying? I'm reading it as you're ticked that we trade away draft picks for guys that never amount to squat for us, then when we get rid of guys, we never get anything in return, so it hurts us even more. As a result, we only get a fraction of draft picks that other teams get, and we don't have the players or picks to show for our misguided ways. Am I on point with that assumption? because if I am, I'm in the same boat with you on that.

Basically, we sell the future for nothing, then trade away those same guys for more nothing. That effectively leaves us stuck with nothing but a few players, who in most cases, never amount to more than a half decent roster filler if they ever do make it that far. We have the rare exceptions like Cooley, Samuels, Taylor, etc., but for the most part it really does seem like we're perpetually looking to fill the same needs year after year.

You increase your available picks by being ahead of the wave and McNabb was obviously an attempt to get ahead of the wave.

Not sure I'm getting you.

Are you saying that...

by giving up picks to get Dmac so we could win now (in 2010), we were somehow going to get more picks from that deal in the future?

I can't argue against anything you just stated, all very solid points. I do, however, think that your disdain might be a little misworded. It sounds to me like maybe you're upset at the whole picture, the draft and everything tied to the draft as a whole. Is that what you're saying? I'm reading it as you're ticked that we trade away draft picks for guys that never amount to squat for us, then when we get rid of guys, we never get anything in return, so it hurts us even more. As a result, we only get a fraction of draft picks that other teams get, and we don't have the players or picks to show for our misguided ways. Am I on point with that assumption? because if I am, I'm in the same boat with you on that.

Basically, we sell the future for nothing, then trade away those same guys for more nothing. That effectively leaves us stuck with nothing but a few players, who in most cases, never amount to more than a half decent roster filler if they ever do make it that far. We have the rare exceptions like Cooley, Samuels, Taylor, etc., but for the most part it really does seem like we're perpetually looking to fill the same needs year after year.

yes

• 1 month later...

True to his word..:evilg:

At the NFL Scouting Combine last month, Shanahan told reporters that he was establishing a system that that would allow the club to “have a lot more draft picks.”

He did not divulge specifics, but his statement suggests the team could be less inclined to trade picks for players and more aggressive in terms of trading down to acquire more picks.

“It’s a process,” said Shanahan, in his second season in Washington. “You bring in a certain way to scout. A lot of times, Washington in the past has traded away a lot of draft choices and they didn’t have many draft choices. Hopefully with the system that we have, we’ll have a lot more draft picks.”

The Redskins hold the 10th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, scheduled for April 28-30.

At No. 10, the team could consider quarterback, wide receiver, defensive line and outside linebacker, among other positions.

Or they could trade down.

By trading either of their first- or second-round picks this year, the Redskins could get back their third- and fourth-rounders.

The second-rounder is expected to be the 42nd overall selection in the draft.

Shanahan continues to emphasize that he wants to build the team “the right way,” focusing on young, high-character players who want to be a part of the franchise long-term.

“We’re not going to do it all overnight,” he added.

thread started on my bday and yes Shanny did well with creating more picks(too bad we didn't get any in next years draft) and more depth potential. If we can get a C and OG in FA, i'd be happier.

Look for RT and RG in FA. Cook, Montgomery, and Lich can all play center AND guard. One will replace Rabach

Archived