Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Shanahan Hopes to Build a Draft Bounty

Oldskool

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Shanahan_Hopes_to_Build_a_Draft_Bounty_193858.jsp

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Posted: March 11, 2011

Going as far back as the 1960s, the Redskins have a long history of trading away their draft picks.

Just last year, in head coach Mike Shanahan’s first season in Washington, the Redskins traded away 2011 third- and fourth-round draft picks to acquire quarterback Donovan McNabb and offensive tackle Jammal Brown.

Moving forward, head coach Mike Shanahan wants to change that trend.

At the NFL Scouting Combine last month, Shanahan told reporters that he was establishing a system that that would allow the club to “have a lot more draft picks.”

He did not divulge specifics, but his statement suggests the team could be less inclined to trade picks for players and more aggressive in terms of trading down to acquire more picks.

“It’s a process,” said Shanahan, in his second season in Washington. “You bring in a certain way to scout. A lot of times, Washington in the past has traded away a lot of draft choices and they didn’t have many draft choices. Hopefully with the system that we have, we’ll have a lot more draft picks.”

The Redskins hold the 10th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, scheduled for April 28-30.

At No. 10, the team could consider quarterback, wide receiver, defensive line and outside linebacker, among other positions.

Or they could trade down.

By trading either of their first- or second-round picks this year, the Redskins could get back their third- and fourth-rounders.

The second-rounder is expected to be the 42nd overall selection in the draft.

Teams like the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles appear to have mastered the art of draft day trades, maneuvering up and down the draft board and acquiring picks.

The Patriots, for example, have a whopping eight draft picks in the first four rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft. That gives them great flexibility to trade up for a targeted player as well as trade down for more picks in 2012 and beyond.

Shanahan continues to emphasize that he wants to build the team “the right way,” focusing on young, high-character players who want to be a part of the franchise long-term.

“We’re not going to do it all overnight,” he added.

Shanahan is working in concert with general manager Bruce Allen, director of player personnel Scott Campbell and the scouts on the draft process.

“I like the people we have,” he said. “I’ve had the chance to spend a lot of time with them. We’ve talked about the direction that we want to go.”

If this turns out to be true, it shoots a gaping hole in Oldfan's Shanny theory.

Of course, what else is new. :ols:

I've been hoping all offseason that we trade down from #10 and acquire more picks so that we can give this team a major infusion of youth and talent.

Hope that Shanny's gonna make that happen.

Nice article. I'd love to see us be more effective in both the draft and FA.

We could pretty much go OL/DE/WR/QB with our first pick, or trade back in the round for more picks and still get the top NT in the draft. Not a bad position to be in.

It would be a really great thing if we didn't HAVE to get players at all those positions. I'm excited to see what we do and will probably be happy with whatever we end up with, since we have so many needs.

I think rather than trade back in the draft, which I think they would do if there was an opportunity I think he was referring to unloading some current players on the roster for draft picks.

There really isn't a market for role players for picks anymore. You can only get a pick or more for starting caliber talent in their prime. Skins were absolutely bone dry on depth or players that could be traded that weren't essential.

This team is rebuilding and going to a new defense. You're going to need to trade back this year and get best value for your draft picks and forget BPA, especially in the 1st round.

as i said in the other thread.. Deal Albert..Mcnabb..(gasp) Cooley all for 2012 picks..

come away with 12 2012 picks.. and then trade back in the 1st round in 2012 to aquire more picks.. coupled with a few smart FA moves.. this team could get built in 1-2 maybe 3 years.

There really isn't a market for role players for picks anymore. You can only get a pick or more for starting caliber talent in their prime. Skins were absolutely bone dry on depth or players that could be traded that weren't essential.

This team is rebuilding and going to a new defense. You're going to need to trade back this year and get best value for your draft picks and forget BPA, especially in the 1st round.

We're trading Cooley for a second rounder 5 min. after CBA negotiations are done. ...basically.

as i said in the other thread.. Deal Albert..Mcnabb..(gasp) Cooley all for 2012 picks..

come away with 12 2012 picks.. and then trade back in the 1st round in 2012 to aquire more picks.. coupled with a few smart FA moves.. this team could get built in 1-2 maybe 3 years.

1. No one is going to offer a trade for Fat Albert knowing full well that this team will either cut him before the draft or trade him for a very late round pick.

2. There are rumors of a reported McNabb deal awaiting resolution of the CBA. When that happens, we'll see.

3. With the condition of the teams WR corps, you can't trade Cooley who has been the 2nd most reliable pass catching threat for years (outside of Moss, who is a UFA).

Its going to take trading back from 10 and possibly 42 to stockpile picks to start to right this ship.

---------- Post added March-11th-2011 at 08:29 PM ----------

We're trading Cooley for a second rounder 5 min. after CBA negotiations are done. ...basically.

I don't see it and even if they were going to trade one of the TE's, Davis has more value (due to Cooley's age and injuries).

Totally agreed. Unless there is someone unbelievably talented that drops to us that we didn't expect to, like Gabbert, Green, etc, I bet we trade down for some picks. Seems like the defensive side of the ball, particularly the defensive line, is deep to the point where we can afford to trade back a few spots. HAIL!

1. No one is going to offer a trade for Fat Albert knowing full well that this team will either cut him before the draft or trade him for a very late round pick.

2. There are rumors of a reported McNabb deal awaiting resolution of the CBA. When that happens, we'll see.

3. With the condition of the teams WR corps, you can't trade Cooley who has been the 2nd most reliable pass catching threat for years (outside of Moss, who is a UFA).

Its going to take trading back from 10 and possibly 42 to stockpile picks to start to right this ship.

---------- Post added March-11th-2011 at 08:29 PM ----------

I don't see it and even if they were going to trade one of the TE's, Davis has more value (due to Cooley's age and injuries).

or I can simply say Cooley has more trade value since Davis has not "proven himself" and Cooley is on the peak of his career and not even 30 yet. Cooley could get us a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder and Davis could not. I have a feeling he's gonna be gone before next season.

Cooley wouldn't fetch a 2nd, or even a 3rd rounder. Anyone who thinks so is delusional. Teams more than ever are harboring their picks, particularly with the uncertainty of the CBA. The league's most respected roster-building minds (Belichick, Reid, etc.) have mastered the practice of stockpiling picks; in a copy-cat league, the rest are hoarding theirs as well.

Pass-catching tight ends are more readily found in the middle rounds of the draft and almost every team in the league now has one. Those that don't have much more pressing needs, rendering the prospects of spending a 2nd rounder on a 29-year old past-his-prime TE (who had "average" athleticism to begin with) utterly unlikely.

For those that want to use the past to support their claims: Shockey was traded at the end of the 2007 season when he was considered one of the 3 or 4 best pass-catching tight ends in the NFL, back when there was a relative dearth of them. He was in his prime. And the Saints invariably regretted that trade -- the Giants came out sure winners. I don't think anyone in their right minds will dispute that.

The Falcons more recently made the foolish decision to trade a 2nd rounder for a hall-of-fame tight end at the near-end of his career, arguably the best tight end of all time. They hoped to give their young franchise quarterback a reliable target and red-zone threat. Gonzalez has been a relative bust, certainly not 2nd-round worthy. He has been fairly productive, but with two of his worst seasons since the late 90s, with zero playoff wins to boot. He is currently 35 years old and offers no long-term value.

In light of these rare moves, no other team would be foolish enough to trade away a good pick for Cooley. That pick could be used to find a younger, cheaper prospect who could be around for 10 years rather than just a few. Or to find a player at a more "important" position along the lines, etc.

We tend to overvalue our own players, particularly when attempting to gauge the rest of the league's valuation. Vinny Cerrato isn't working for another team. Cooley has far more value to us -- in the short term and long term -- than what any 4th rounder may bring (who very possibly wouldn't even make the team). We have one position with true depth and that's at tight end. The idea that we can trade Cooley for a highly valued pick defies logic; the idea that we should trade Cooley defies reason.

I agree with SkinsTillIDie's post, except that I'd like to add that we need to decide between Cooley and Davis before the latter's contract runs out, unless we're actually going to start utilizing them equally and effectively....because there's no way he'll re-sign here if we don't.

But in general, I agree.

Look at where teams are drafting players like Finley, Graham, Moeki, Gronkowski, Hernandez, etc. Even Cooley was a 3rd round pick. Its completely abnormal at this juncture to spend a 1st rounder on a player like Gresham (who I DO think will be a stud) like the Bengals did...or on Pettigrew, like the Lions did. So if you can get a solid receiving TE in the 2nd round or later...why in the world would you ever trade one of those picks for a Chris Cooley?

Yes, recent trades have set the precedent that Cooley is "worth" at least a 2nd round pick...but the beauty of being able to look back at those trades is that you can see that they were flawed...they have not netted the proper value for the teams acquiring the aging TE's. Its just not worth it when there are an abundance of athletic young receiving/hybrid TE's coming into the league every year. The market value is just not high enough, with the supply being at LEAST equal to the demand. Yes, Cooley might be a better blocker than many of the youngins, but he's not even elite in that attribute.

2. There are rumors of a reported McNabb deal awaiting resolution of the CBA.

Whats the story here then ?

As for trading back, looks like the obvious thing to do. Just gotta find someone to dance with. Maybe we trade right back in the first & go NT first up. Wouldn't suprise me.

If this turns out to be true, it shoots a gaping hole in Oldfan's Shanny theory.
How's that? Mike averaged eight picks a year in Denver over his last ten years. His playoff record was still on the level of the below-average Redskins over the same span.

The Falcons more recently made the foolish decision to trade a 2nd rounder for a hall-of-fame tight end at the near-end of his career, arguably the best tight end of all time. They hoped to give their young franchise quarterback a reliable target and red-zone threat. Gonzalez has been a relative bust, certainly not 2nd-round worthy. He has been fairly productive, but with two of his worst seasons since the late 90s, with zero playoff wins to boot. He is currently 35 years old and offers no long-term value.

Gonzo caught 153 passes for 12 tds in his 2 years in Atlanta. Sure that was a drop from his peak but Atlanta knew that would happen when you trade for a 33 year old. While I agree he probably was not worth the 2nd I think they got exactly what they were looking to get. And even though they didn't win a playoff game the Falcons were way better the past 2 years so I wouldn't call that trade as a bust.

How's that? Mike averaged eight picks a year in Denver over his last ten years. His playoff record was still on the level of the below-average Redskins over the same span.

I thought your Shanny theory, as it stands right now,until you change it sometime within the next couple of hours, is that Mike has a Win Now philosophy?

Stockpiling draft picks is anything but win now and points to getting away from "use free agency heavily" to roster build.

"IF this story turns out to be true"

I thought your Shanny theory, as it stands right now,until you change it sometime within the next couple of hours, is that Mike has a Win Now philosophy?

Stockpiling draft picks is anything but win now and points to getting away from "use free agency heavily" to roster build.

"IF this story turns out to be true"

As usual, you don't have my position nailed. I would take the time to explain it again, but I've tried that before with you without success. Just go ahead and write whatever pops into your head.

Trading back in the first round is not as easy as it sounds. First you have to find a team willing to do that. It happens but not often. It sounds great, trade back pick up additional picks but I really don't see it happening. We fans often think if we traded such and such player we would get a 2nd or 3rd for them when more likely the player in question might bring a 6th or a 7th, and those pics are usually a project not a starter. I suspect we will go with the draft picks we have, and after there is a new CBA pick up a couple of free agents. I don't expect the Redskins to be competitive for a couple of more years, it took Vinnie several years to ruin this team and its not going to be put right in just 2 years. I hope it will but being practical I can't see it happening.

Trading back in the first round is not as easy as it sounds. First you have to find a team willing to do that. It happens but not often. It sounds great, trade back pick up additional picks but I really don't see it happening. We fans often think if we traded such and such player we would get a 2nd or 3rd for them when more likely the player in question might bring a 6th or a 7th, and those pics are usually a project not a starter. I suspect we will go with the draft picks we have, and after there is a new CBA pick up a couple of free agents. I don't expect the Redskins to be competitive for a couple of more years, it took Vinnie several years to ruin this team and its not going to be put right in just 2 years. I hope it will but being practical I can't see it happening.
It could be done, Hap.

Mike would have to channel George Allen. George would trade every pick on the board for vets, including some for future years, and he would be like a kid in a candy store with the free agent market. George was a good judge of vets, of course. No roster building plan will work if you can't judge talent.

We might not win Super Bowls, but most Skins fans loved George.

Archived