Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980 (Chris Russell): Next Redskins Quarterback : Ryan Mallett?

#98QBKiller

Ryan Leaf

Ryan Mallet

More similarities then just their first name.

Never met Mallet, but hearing him talk, I just dont get a strong vib in the smarts dept.

And I know the agent (his job) did a nice spin on the whole Bobby Petrino playbook being thick, but I dont believe he mentioned how much of that playbook Mallett

actually learned.

And given that all the action in the NFL is much faster then the college ranks, I dont see Mallett being able to keep up.

I will stay with the idea of going Gabbert, if he's gone then the best DL at #10.

The Redskins need to draft on both offense and defense in the first two rounds. Both sides of the ball need to be addressed early in the draft. If Ryan Mallet is available with the tenth pick, and he should be, the Redskins ought to take him if Von Miller is gone by the time they pick in the first round. If by chance Andy Dalton is available with the second round pick, we should select him only if we have selected on defense in the first round.

No thank you. And I have a tendency to think that if the media thinks we might be interested in a QB...that's not our guy.

I agree though they did call Jason Campbell and everyone on this board was mocking them and swearing it would never happen.

I agree though they did call Jason Campbell and everyone on this board was mocking them and swearing it would never happen.

I meant specifically in regards to Shanahan's drafts. I don't care that the media called our drafts under Gibbs or Zorn, Vinny used to practically telegraph everything. Its different now.

You know, just a few days ago I was taking a look at game film for this guy and was even contemplating starting a thread to assess The Nation's view point on the kid. I tell you what...I don't see a problem with the kid and honestly if you can snag this guy up in the second if Locker isn't available I say do it!

Kyle Boller threw the ball far, too.

Whats your point?

Bottom line is Newton has the same character flags as Mallett.

Newton is a first round pick so if they have the same character flags wouldn't Mallett be the safer pick at in the second round.

Newton is an energetic guy that teammates seem to like. Mallett isn't.

You know this because you played with him? Are you his coach or team mate? Nope! You just regurgitate what you hear. What I heard, straight out of the dogs mouth (Newton) is that he refers to himself in the third person alot. Considers himself an Icon and an entertainer and travels around with a posey that would rival MC Hammer. I dont know about you but as a team mate that would get old. There is no I in team.

Newton has a pretty strong arm, as does Mallett.

Mallett has a better arm. Period. Its not negotiable.

Newton struggles a bit with accuracy, as does Mallett.

Watch the combine and get back to me regarding accuracy

Newton is a world class athlete, Mallett is not.

[b]You are right there but but how many world class athletic quarterbacks have won superbowls? I would rather have a quarterback than an athlete.[/b]

Mallett seemingly has a drug problem, that's one character issue that hasn't surfaced for Newton.

Did he ever pass you a dubey? Or are you just going off of what the media is telling you. I cant think of many young people who have not experimented with drugs in this day and age but because he seems kind of like a hillbilly the media is crapping on him.

Why even bring up those names? I can give you names like Heath Shuler to counter. You can't compare Ryan Mallett to those players when they aren't similar players. They fit in a category, but their character is far above what Mallett's will ever be. Their accuracy is also much better. They aren't comparable.

Then you can use your own logic for Newton as well but the only difference is Newton will garner a 1st round pick while Mallett a second. The guys I was refering too all went in the first round with the exception of Brady so you are comparing Newton to them? They are polar opposites. Newton makes one read and takes off. The more accompished superbowl winning quarterbacks had to adapt because they were not as gifted athleticly so they learned to get rid of the ball from an early age. Look how long it has taken Vick to abandon his instincts and then he still gets hurt do to his world class athletics. So if you are going to gamble on an unproven talent with character flaws why not take less of a risk and take the guy with the better arm, who is more pro ready and sorry to tell you has a far more accomplished body of work throwing the football. Just so you know thats what they get paid to do. All that running around will get you no where in the NFL if you dont have the accuracy or the intrinsic makeup to throw most the time

I just hope Gabbert falls so we can go for the no-brainer.

LOL... that's laughable at best. Gabbert will not fall to us unles it's found out he's some huge Lady Gaga fan or something....

Its not out of the realm of possibility. Better quaterbacks have fallen further. If there is a CBA before the draft the odds increase. But if low odds make you laugh then I guess its a knee slapper.

Robinson I think you and me might stand alone. I agree with you completely though, I just don't see why people love Gabbert so much. Jake Locker put up better stats in a pro-style offense and awful receivers.

LOL, just watched that video. Pick 6 with a 4 point lead in the 4th qtr, atta boy Blaine.

Are you seriously writing off a QB because of a play?

That means Peyton Manning sucks, he threw that pick 6 in the superbowl afterall and they lost the game.

not quite apples to apples.

Manning is playing in the superbowl against the best team in the league, IIRC they also had the best secondary that season, he's playing from behind and trying to win the game.

Gabbert is playing an unranked IOWA team and is playing with a 4 pt lead.

I take issues with the drug rumors. If they are truth or rumor - who knows - but there's something about an athlete w/ a vice that hurts their body when they're suppose to be in the best physical shape. That's not even considering the legal issues that could arrise. Mallett has kind of a Matt Jones-vibe w/o being a scrambling QB.

If Mallett's biggest issue is that he's a jerk...I think people will get over it if he's winning games. I mean, Phillip Rivers is kind of an ass but I'm sure redskin fans would love having him under center.

Matt Jones is the PERFECT EXAMPLE!

Jones had all types of drug allegations surrounding him too. But he ran such a fast 40 and possessed such tremendous size that the Jaguars reached for him in the first round. 4 years and two drug arrests later the Jags are wishing they used that 21st pick for Roddy White who went 27

Manning is playing in the superbowl against the best team in the league, IIRC they also had the best secondary that season, he's playing from behind and trying to win the game.

Similar Jerseys is the only thing I can think of on that one. Maybe he thought his receiver was in front. That being said it was an ugly play but **** does happen sometimes and all QBs have OOPs's.

Gabbert could fall past us. Top 10 QB's dont do this:

Robinson I think you and me might stand alone. I agree with you completely though, I just don't see why people love Gabbert so much. Jake Locker put up better stats in a pro-style offense and awful receivers.

LOL, just watched that video. Pick 6 with a 4 point lead in the 4th qtr, atta boy Blaine.

So Peyton Manning isn't a top 10 QB?

But that's not to say Manning did not have bad plays or bad days in college.

His junior year he and the 2nd ranked Vols lost to #4 ranked Florida at home, Manning threw a pick on his first pass that was returned to the 10. He would go on to throw 3 INTs in the first half as UT went down 35-0 to start the game. He closed the game to a respectable number when UF played prevent in the 2nd half, but finished with 4 INTs on the day. That put them in the hole to make the SEC Championship (which they did not).

Later that year, then #6 UT lost to 3-7 and unranked MEMPHIS, who were 26 point underdogs! Manning was 23/40 with a TD and 2 INTs. That knocked them out of the National Championship race for good.

In the biggest game of his college career, the 1997 National Championship against Nebraska, Manning was absolute garbage (against a very good defense, but garbage never the less). He finished the day 21/31 for 134 yards, a TD and an INT before being benched in the 42-17 blow out.

Let's not pretend Gabbert is flawless, but lets also not totally disregard his positives based on one throw or one game. Bad throws happen, even to the all time greats. Also, you put IOWA in caps as if they were some scrubs - last I checked they had the 7th ranked defense in the FCS last year.

of course Peyton Manning is a top QB. Manning's interception was not even remotely as boneheaded as GAbbert's though. Porter jumped a route on a relatively quick throw from Manning from the pocket.

Gabbert's INT on the other hand is an epic brainfart. First Gabbert flees a pristinely clean pocket. Then he stares the receiver down for a few seconds while scrambling at him. Then he lobs it to a defender who had already jumped the route before Gabbert even began his throwing motion. Peyton Manning would NEVER do this. NEVER. There's probably one starting QB in the NFL who would do this sort of thing, and he wears a star on his helmet, thank god.

Anyhow, I dont mean to dismiss Gabbert based on one play, but if you look at his games, this is more the norm than the exception. He is the proverbial headless chicken. This play just happens to exemplify everything that I don't like about this prospect.

---------- Post added March-10th-2011 at 06:46 PM ----------

anyhow, my point was that it's entirely possible that Gabbert goes on a Clausen-like drop on draft day despite his draftnik hype. There are guys like that every year. Mallett, on the other hand, could also surprise people with his draft position by going higher than mocked. I don't think he's a prototypical fit for what Kyle runs, but I could see it working. And I think some of the teams in front of us could see it working too. It's rare to get a shot at a guy with an arm like that. so I wouldn't consider Mallett a reach even at #1 -- I'm not saying he will go high or that I would advocate picking him that high, but he definitely has the golden arm that gets guys picked at the top of the draft regardless of what else they have going on.

But that's not to say Manning did not have bad plays or bad days in college.

I didn't say it was.

His junior year he and the 2nd ranked Vols lost to #4 ranked Florida at home, Manning threw a pick on his first pass that was returned to the 10. He would go on to throw 3 INTs in the first half as UT went down 35-0 to start the game. He closed the game to a respectable number when UF played prevent in the 2nd half, but finished with 4 INTs on the day. That put them in the hole to make the SEC Championship (which they did not).

Sounds like his entire team got their asses handed to them.

Later that year, then #6 UT lost to 3-7 and unranked MEMPHIS, who were 26 point underdogs! Manning was 23/40 with a TD and 2 INTs. That knocked them out of the National Championship race for good.

I didn't mean to capitalize Iowa, it was done sub-consciously, probably because the graphic has it in caps and it's a short team name.

In the biggest game of his college career, the 1997 National Championship against Nebraska, Manning was absolute garbage (against a very good defense, but garbage never the less). He finished the day 21/31 for 134 yards, a TD and an INT before being benched in the 42-17 blow out.

All you're doing is point out Peyton Manning's largest flaw, everyone knows it exists. What exactly is your point? QB's have bad days? I agree, never said otherwise. QB's make bad throws? I agree never said otherwise.

I did say that Blaine threw an awful pick, and that claiming it was similar to Manning's pick in the superbowl wasn't a very accurate comparison.

Let's not pretend Gabbert is flawless, but lets also not totally disregard his positives based on one throw or one game. Bad throws happen, even to the all time greats. Also, you put IOWA in caps as if they were some scrubs - last I checked they had the 7th ranked defense in the FCS last year.

No one's disregarding his positives, do you honestly think anyone's opinion of Gabbert was formed from that single youtube clip? Come on now.

Anyhow, I dont mean to dismiss Gabbert based on one play, but if you look at his games, this is more the norm than the exception. He is the proverbial headless chicken. This play just happens to exemplify everything that I don't like about this prospect.

you mean, a QB picked by every expert to go in the top 10 has a knack for boneheaded plays like throwing pick 6's in to coverage?

Archived