Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBN: Subway tops McDonald's as largest restaurant chain

China

Subway tops McDonald's as largest restaurant chain

It's official: the Subway sandwich chain has surpassed Oak Brook-based McDonald's Corp. as the world's largest restaurant chain, in terms of units.

At the end of last year, Subway had 33,749 restaurants worldwide, according to a Subway spokesman, compared to McDonald's 32,737.

Click on the link for the full article

I think the number of subways are increasing because they dont require a stand-alone site. I dont even know of a McDonalds inside of a mall anymore, but Subway I see tons of

That's true...they can be put in gas stations and malls. I don't see why McDonald's couldn't be as well though. I think there is a McD's in the L'Enfant Plaza "mall" in DC.

Quality over quantity!!!!

Debatable. Subway is the McDonalds of sandwich places. I much rather eat at Quiznos if I'm eating at a chain sandwich place.

That being said, my 5 year old LOVES Subway, much to my wife's disgust. (She's a vegetarian)

I think the number of subways are increasing because they dont require a stand-alone site. I dont even know of a McDonalds inside of a mall anymore, but Subway I see tons of

There are still quite a few McDonalds in strip malls. I know of one near my house.

That's true...they can be put in gas stations and malls. I don't see why McDonald's couldn't be as well though. I think there is a McD's in the L'Enfant Plaza "mall" in DC.

Subway does not need deep fryers or grills or any of the fire suppression venting systems that go with them. A Microwave and toaster oven and they are good.

Why would McDonalds require that ?

They have plenty in malls, but they are not expanding.

To me Subway is setting themselves up for failure or extreme success. Over expand and you kill the market. This is business 101. Maybe they know something I don't about crappy subs.

Why can't a vegetarian eat at a Subway? Or why would she be disgusted by it, at least?

Oh, she can eat there, but she has the choice of one sandwich. Considering my son wants to eat there all the time, that gets tiresome to someone who doesn't have much of a choice.

Edit: at least it is a better obsession than McDs. My wife couldn't eat there at all.

Nah. I can think of two McDonaldses in strip malls near my house off the top of my head. That's not it.

Just my opinion, but I think it's because of raised awareness of the problem of obesity in this country. Subway is billed as a healthy fast food. McDonalds has been trying to get healthier, but let's face it. They sell grease pellets with sides of grease sticks.

There are still quite a few McDonalds in strip malls. I know of one near my house.
This. Subway is disgusting. Terrible food.

I think Subway is better than Quiznos, but I look for Potbelly when I want a sandwich.

Why would McDonalds require that ?

They have plenty in malls, but they are not expanding.

To me Subway is setting themselves up for failure or extreme success. Over expand and you kill the market. This is business 101. Maybe they know something I don't about crappy subs.

I agree. Look at Starbucks, there were way too many Starbucks around so they had to close a bunch. Same will happen to Subway. In a mile radius around where I live there are 2 Subways, one in the mall and the other 2 minutes from the mall. There is however, just one McDonald's.

Oh, she can eat there, but she has the choice of one sandwich. Considering my son wants to eat there all the time, that gets tiresome to someone who doesn't have much of a choice.

Edit: at least it is a better obsession than McDs. My wife couldn't eat there at all.

I don't get why there would only be one sandwich for a vegetarian to eat at Subway...they have all kinds of veggies. Endless possibilities, even if it is a little more boring than choices elsewhere.

I think Subway is better than Quiznos, but I look for Potbelly when I want a sandwich.

Potbelly lacks variety. When you meet regularly at a Potbelly, these things are important.

Unlike G.A.C.O.L.B., I don't think that Subway is disgusting, but nowadays, it is just sustinance. There are better places to get a sandwich.

Subway is kind of gross. I prefer Quiznos in terms of national subs places. Blimpie's comes in 15th in this three man race.

Houston has a couple of local chains that are very good. Texas has more local chain restaurants than any place I've ever lived. It really needs to be a country.

The key to it, I think is its footprint. Have you ever been in a Subway with more than three employees?

Basically, it's three people, fifteen ingredients, and one large oven. The average McDonalds requires that many people on registers.

I also have to imagine that Subway's margins are ungodly. A veggie sub probably has 55 cents worth of ingredients and is being sold for $5.00.

I suspect that this is in part because Subway oversells its franchises to undereducated but eager entrepeneurs, with no regard to whether they will impact each other. They don't have exclusive territories, and sometimes there are even two on the same block (until one goes under and another retireee has lost his life savings).

Archived