Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season Ticket Renewals

bryantlc

i don't have a problem with it, because i know the tax isn't in there and i know what the tax is. i can take 10% on my own and do the math.

i think you're confusing the fact that i acknowledge it's not there, and that there is a reason for it, with actually complaining about it...

mth's point was to make sure people understand the actual cost.

the season ticket price increases he listed did not include tax. it just factors into the total cost of owning the tickets, just like the 20$ shipping and handling fee does. it's just 20$, i know. but it still is a cost associated with owning the tickets...

just not quite sure why people like chip get all ****ty when someone mentions that the numbers don't include tax.

edit: i also never said snyder was responsible for it. i'm quite aware that PG county is responsible for the PG county amusement tax

Edited by tshile

Too much is made of this tax thing. The tickets still cost the same...

I know we've had this discussion, but.. again... I'm not followin' you, bro.

In 1999, a ticket that showed $55 was $55.

In fact, in 2005, at ticket for the same seat that showed $79 was $79.

And suddenly, in 2006, a ticket for the same seat that showed $99 is $108.90.

So...

What was the cost of the seat in 1997-1999? $55.

What was the cost of the same seat in 2000-2005? $79.

What was the cost of the seat in 2006-present?

:secret: Hint: It wasn't $99.

If somebody in 1999 asked a fan how much he paid for his seat, he might smile and say $55. And if I overheard him, I'd just shrug.

If somebody in 2006 asked the same fan how much he paid for his seat, he might smile and say $99. And if I overheard him, I'd say to myself "This guy's a sucker."

Redskins tickets are the easiest and cheapest tickets in town. I am not naive, are you?

Quit complaining.

negative chip, I've gone to Nats games for 5 bucks (and yes, I bought them at the stadium, not from a scalper). That being said, the Redskins definately have the better season ticket packages, albeit for 8 home games (regular season).

Reading through some of these posts alll I can think to myself is,

People that have a problem with the ticket being printed with the price and without taxes and fees

must need peeled off the ceiling each month when they open their cell phone bill. :ols:

Edited by Capt. Kaos

People that have a problem with the ticket being printed with the price and without taxes and fees

must need peeled off the ceiling each month when they open their cell phone bill. :ols:

They probably complain about it because they may think it's awkward to charge a friend $110 for a $99 face value ticket. A very short explanation to the friend usually solves the problem. The same thing happens when you buy tickets for anything through Ticketmaster though. TM list their BS fee on the ticket but it does not include delivery fee which can be expensive in relation to the ticket if you are only buying two tickets to an event.

Edited by SwampEm

Cool. I finally disagree with SonnyandSam about something!

The tax extraction from the face value of the ticket, was a very significant change for a season ticket holder. No, it has never been hidden from us, we're all fully aware that it's there. It raised the cost of being a season ticket holder by 10% without raising the face value of the ticket. That's the only thing that people are pointing out.

The other very significant change for the season ticket holder was to force us to purchase the pre-season games. That used to be optional. Again, not trying to blame Dan Snyder, or trying to make it seem like the Redskins are doing something that other teams don't.

Both are changes that significantly raised the cost of being a season ticket holder without raising the face value of the tickets. Not complaining, just pointing out that a face value discussion should also include the additional and very significant increases in cost to the season ticket holder.

I know we've had this discussion, but.. again... I'm not followin' you, bro.

In 1999, a ticket that showed $55 was $55.

In fact, in 2005, at ticket for the same seat that showed $79 was $79.

And suddenly, in 2006, a ticket for the same seat that showed $99 is $108.90.

So...

What was the cost of the seat in 1997-1999? $55.

What was the cost of the same seat in 2000-2005? $79.

What was the cost of the seat in 2006-present?

:secret: Hint: It wasn't $99.

If somebody in 1999 asked a fan how much he paid for his seat, he might smile and say $55. And if I overheard him, I'd just shrug.

If somebody in 2006 asked the same fan how much he paid for his seat, he might smile and say $99. And if I overheard him, I'd say to myself "This guy's a sucker."

Your premise is factually incorrect. That "$55 ticket" was actually $49.50 PLUS $5.50 in Prince Georges County amusement tax. The Skins just included the cost of the tax. It was always there. You were deceived from the beginning. The "cost" of the ticket was $49.50 and not $55. The $5.50 is a tax. Danny was only charging $49.50 to attend the game. PG County taxed you for the rest.

I guess you really believe the amount you get paid to work is what you really take home to momma to pay the bills, too? None of those income or social security taxes are ever deducted from the amount your employer promised to pay you. (I think you are self employed, right; but you get my point.)

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 10:40 AM ----------

Cool. I finally disagree with SonnyandSam about something!

The tax extraction from the face value of the ticket, was a very significant change for a season ticket holder. No, it has never been hidden from us, we're all fully aware that it's there. It raised the cost of being a season ticket holder by 10% without raising the face value of the ticket. That's the only thing that people are pointing out.

The other very significant change for the season ticket holder was to force us to purchase the pre-season games. That used to be optional. Again, not trying to blame Dan Snyder, or trying to make it seem like the Redskins are doing something that other teams don't.

Both are changes that significantly raised the cost of being a season ticket holder without raising the face value of the tickets. Not complaining, just pointing out that a face value discussion should also include the additional and very significant increases in cost to the season ticket holder.

I can't help it if you are wrong once in a while..... :silly:

Edited by SonnyandSam

you're argument is weird....

all MTH's doing is talking about the actual cost. if there's a 5 dollar charge put in there from the gods of football, then it's a cost. doesn't matter where it goes.

he's been very consistant about that, including the 20 dollar S&H fee.

i'm just not sure why you have a problem with it. and yes, tax IS included in the cost of the ticket. anyone with any financial sense knows you have to account for the tax when making a decision about whether to buy something or not.

My problem with the PG County tax being pulled out was it was a way to raise ticket prices 10% and just say "hey it's not the Redskins it's the PG county tax". Why didn't they just do as they had in the past and have the face of the ticket $110 and keep the tax part of the face cost of the ticket? Just seems like a sneaky way to increase their revenue by an additional 10% and try to deflect criticism.

Edited by HOF44

I thought of exactly the same thing when I was composing my response last night and extremeskins burped and lost my response. It was too late and I just shortened my reply. But you are exactly correct. Perfect example of how businesses are letting people know how government at all levels are part of the increasing costs of their puchases.

People still think the Federal government is giving them free money when they get a tax refund. They don't realize they have been overpaying the government all year long and giving the Feds an interest free loan. The Federal government LOVES to give out tax refunds in April and May because the Treasury got to use all that money all year long for free.

My problem with the PG County tax being pulled out was it was a way to raise ticket prices 10% and just say "hey it's not the Redskins it's the PG county tax". Why didn't they just do as they had in the past and have the face of the ticket $110 and keep the tax part of the face cost of the ticket? Just seems like a sneaky way to increase their revenue by an additional 10% and try to deflect criticism.

what?

they pulled it out of the price printed on the ticket, but the cost of the seat (as charged by the redskins) was the same.

what the hell are you talking about?

not trying to be combative or offensive. there's just no logic (at least any based in reality) in the post, and i'm trying to figure out what it is that has people so upset about the topic...

SonnyAndSam: not trying to argue with you, or irritate you... but seriously, what is the problem with talking about the true cost of the ticket (fees/taxes included)?

Edited by tshile

what?

they pulled it out of the price printed on the ticket, but the cost of the seat (as charged by the redskins) was the same.

not trying to be combative or offensive. there's just no logic (at least any based in reality) in the post, and i'm trying to figure out what it is that has people so upset about the topic...

SonnyAndSam: not trying to argue with you, or irritate you... but seriously, what is the problem with talking about the true cost of the ticket (fees/taxes included)?

When you signed up for your TV service, the marketed price was (notional) $79.99/month. Once you get your first bill, your service is $79.99 + Fed fee + fed tax + state tax + state fee + regulatory fee + ...... so your price per month is really $95/month. The same applies to cell phone, home phone, milk, eggs, lumber, tools, car and everything else you buy. Why is it an issue when the Redskins do it?

Two words: Dan Snyder. The man could give away $100 to every STH and this board would be filled with people ****ing it wasn't $500.

Edited by Popeman38

what?

My only point is that showing the cost of the ticket and the cost of the tax separately is no freakin' big deal like MTH likes to make it. I agree with him on 99.9% of the stuff he says....this is probably the one issue we disagree on. I just do not see the big deal. In fact, I think it is good for all consumers to know where their money goes to, especially all the insideous government taxes and fees. Government at all levels has gotten away with slipping taxes and fees into all kinds of stuff we buy and use and it has in the past been buried in the total cost of the item or service buy businesses. In the past decade, lots of businesses, not just Danny, have separated the cost of item and the taxes and fees so you can see how much you are paying for the item or service and how much government is ****ing you over.

Discussing the true increasing cost of the ticket itself is a whole 'nother discussion.

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 10:55 AM ----------

When you signed up for your TV service, the marketed price was (notional) $79.99/month. Once you get your first bill, your service is $79.99 + Fed fee + fed tax + state tax + state fee + regulatory fee + ...... so your price per month is really $95/month. The same applies to cell phone, home phone, milk, eggs, lumber, tools, car and everything else you buy. Why is it an issue when the Redskins do it?

Two words: Dan Snyder. The man could give away $100 to every STH and this board would be filled with people ****ing it wasn't $500.

Thank you. Great example.

Anyone know if the PGC tax applies to premium seating? You'd think that it would, but I've never seen an invoice. Anybody wonder why there is no tax on parking passes?

Could JKC and Wayne Curry have worked a deal around those taxes?

Edited by RFKFedEx

ok, excuse me, but you've finally pushed me beyond being irritated.

i have not once complained about the fact that the tax is not on the price. that is just a bunch of **** you're making up because you apparently cannot read.

i've simply pointed out it's not there. i've also pointed out that it's a common marketing tactic to make prices 99, or.99, instead of going up to the next number. having the ticket price advertised at 99$seat for the most expensive GA seats has an advantage (marketing wise) over advertising it for ~108. it's only a tactic because there are a lot of stupid people out there, and it has an impact on them.

so stop making up ****, noone is complaining. pointing something out is not the same as complaining.

i swear, i know this place tries to enforce being nice to each other but you people make it awfuly ****ing hard some times.

edit: it's only even a topic, as has been pointed out many times (if you know how to read), because the previous owner did include the tax in the price printed on the ticket.

Edited by tshile

what?

It was a way to hide a price increase. When they pulled the tax out of the face value the face value did not go down. So any way you cut it it was an increase in the ticket price. I just thought it was a shady way to go about it.

It was a way to hide a price increase. When they pulled the tax out of the face value the face value did not go down. So any way you cut it it was an increase in the ticket price. I just thought it was a shady way to go about it.

my understanding was that the actual cost (everything included) didn't change... the price printed on the ticket is what changed (and it went down, because it 10% less...)

am I mistaken that a 44$ ticket stayed 44$, but that you now had to pay an additional 10% for the tax?

because that was not the way i understood it to happen at all. if thats the case then yeah, its a ticket price increase.

Thank you. Great example.

sonnyandsam you make some good points on a regular basis.

but you really defend snyder to the death.

i say this as a person who regularly argues with people about snyder because i firmly believe he gets way more blame that he deserves (i'm believe the man makes enough stupid decisions/mistakes that you don't have to make stuff up to talk bad about him)

it's sad to watch.

What if your bill was $95 per month including tax and you received a notice saying we a splitting the 10% tax out and your bill is now $104.50. Who just got the extra dough?

The separation of sales tax from actual cost coincided with the last GA price increase in 2006.

Ticket prices went up, as did the taxes, accordingly. The face value printed on the ticket went up. The tax charge on the ST invoice went up in proportion to the new cost of the seat, though tax charges would no longer be printed on the ticket, nor included in the face value.

The tax formula employed by PGC since 1997 has not changed (of note).

Hopefully that will clear up some confusion.

Edited by RFKFedEx

The separation of sales tax from actual cost coincided with the last GA price increase in 2006.

Ticket prices went up, as did the taxes, accordingly. The face value printed on the ticket went up. The tax charge on the ST invoice went up in proportion to the new cost of the seat, though tax charges would no longer be printed on the ticket, nor included in the face value.

The tax formula employed by PGC since 1997 has not changed (of note).

Hopefully that will clear up some confusion.

Was tax ever printed on the ticket??

So last year's $79 lower-bowl ticket, which included the tax, has increased to $99 for the ticket plus an additional county tax of about $9.90, making the total $108.90.

Link to article

So the actual increase in the cost of the ticket to the consumer was $29.90, but the skins said hey it's only a $20 increase because the rest is taxes. Just forget that those used to be included.

Edited by HOF44