Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season Ticket Renewals

bryantlc

This is somewhat off-topic, but recently the DC Sports Bog had an entry indicating the Caps are raising ticket prices for the eighth time in nine seasons. I saw a friend of mine who has season tickets down low and told me that his prices are going up from $130 per game to $165 per game.  Over a 41 game season, that's almost a $3000 increase for two seats.

Granted, I'm not sure how much other NHL teams have raised their prices. And folks will say "oh, the Caps always make the playoffs"......but 16 teams make the playoffs in hockey. And yes, they are having perhaps their best season yet, which hopefully will result in at least a Finals appearance, if not winning the Cup.  And their owner certainly seems to have a sunnier disposition than Dan Snyder.  However, it just seems from a "gouging the fans" standpoint, that Ted Leonsis gets somewhat of a free pass in this town.

This is somewhat off-topic, but recently the DC Sports Bog had an entry indicating the Caps are raising ticket prices for the eighth time in nine seasons. I saw a friend of mine who has season tickets down low and told me that his prices are going up from $130 per game to $165 per game.  Over a 41 game season, that's almost a $3000 increase for two seats.

Granted, I'm not sure how much other NHL teams have raised their prices. And folks will say "oh, the Caps always make the playoffs"......but 16 teams make the playoffs in hockey. And yes, they are having perhaps their best season yet, which hopefully will result in at least a Finals appearance, if not winning the Cup.  And their owner certainly seems to have a sunnier disposition than Dan Snyder.  However, it just seems from a "gouging the fans" standpoint, that Ted Leonsis gets somewhat of a free pass in this town.

That's because aside from your friend, no one wants Caps tickets :-p

Edited by turtle2328

Leonsis does it because he can.  The Caps usually win, at least for now, the demand is there for their tickets.  You think DC United or any other team in town wouldn't charge those prices if they thought the fans would actually pay it?  

Yes, the Capitals have been steadily raising prices over the past 7 years, and as a STH I'm not happy about it.  But a couple points to consider:

• *The Caps are in the middle of a record-setting season, and as most people around here are aware they have a good chance of winning the Cup this year.  Since they don't have the luxury of waiting until after the season to announce next years prices (like the Skins do), they have to make assumptions of how well they might do this Spring.
  • *You friends seats, which went up almost 30%, are in the lower level center, best seats in the house.  Most other sections didn't see that much of a bump.  I am in the 3rd row of the uppers, and my seats went from $40 to $42.
  • *The NHL still relies on gate receipts for most of it's revenue, as opposed to NFL with their monster TV and sponsorship deals.
  • *The huge price breaks STHs get on playoff tickets is in itself a reason to have season tickets.
  • *The Caps offer great perks to STHs, from awesome planholder gifts, meet the team party, skate sessions at Verizon, and concession credits.  The Skins can't offer these things because of the size of their planholder base.
  • *This season, a Caps planholder can expect a profit (sometimes a big one) on about 80% of all games.  So from a purely economic standpoint, the market is justifying a price bump.  For most Skins games, you're lucky to break even.  Even the coveted Dallas game, which for years was a golden ticket for Skins STHs looking to make a buck and recoup costs, can be had for close to face value on gameday.
Edited by capcrunch98
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was the waitlist ever gone? 

Edit: The ad reads like some waitlisters can get lowers. Not surprised, but I don't recall seeing lowers advertised until now. Looks like all GA seating has been reclassified as 'Reserve'.  

Edited by RFKFedEx

• *This season, a Caps planholder can expect a profit (sometimes a big one) on about 80% of all games.  So from a purely economic standpoint, the market is justifying a price bump.  For most Skins games, you're lucky to break even.  Even the coveted Dallas game, which for years was a golden ticket for Skins STHs looking to make a buck and recoup costs, can be had for close to face value on gameday.

I have the sales rep for the Caps hounding me to buy tickets.  I never buy game tix from the sales rep because I can buy tix on Stubhub for the same sections at below face value.  This is in the club level section.  I don't believe you can resell the tickets for 80% of the games at a profit. 

I'm debating giving up my seats this season. Just can't afford them right now. The main reason I'd want to keep them is because I saved my rewards points up for this season and use them on sideline passes for my kids. I told them last season that I'd save them up for this season so they could all get a chance. I assume if I don't renew then I lose my rewards points. I'd like to find someone to buy my season from me to keep my account alive and I get to keep the rewards, then maybe just buy one game this season for my family to attend and use the rewards then reconsider my status next season. But, as many of you know, selling tickets isn't easy and has really become the main reason I'm considering dropping out.

Edit: The ad reads like some waitlisters can get lowers. Not surprised, but I don't recall seeing lowers advertised until now. Looks like all GA seating has been reclassified as 'Reserve'.  

Well, if they are pulling out seats about every other year, it makes you wonder about that waitlist.....I have never seen lowers advertised either.   My guess is they are not having as much success getting people to upgrade to lowers as they have in the past. 

Well, if they are pulling out seats about every other year, it makes you wonder about that waitlist.....I have never seen lowers advertised either.   My guess is they are not having as much success getting people to upgrade to lowers as they have in the past. 

I hadn't noticed the waiting list advertised the past couple of seasons, the way it once was.  However, the 'waitlist' tab was always on their website any time you clicked onto the ticket page. It's still there today. The "join" popups have evaporated from the high flying days of Gibbs 2.0 where you'd see it anytime you clicked on.

Edited by RFKFedEx

I'm debating giving up my seats this season. Just can't afford them right now. The main reason I'd want to keep them is because I saved my rewards points up for this season and use them on sideline passes for my kids. I told them last season that I'd save them up for this season so they could all get a chance. I assume if I don't renew then I lose my rewards points. I'd like to find someone to buy my season from me to keep my account alive and I get to keep the rewards, then maybe just buy one game this season for my family to attend and use the rewards then reconsider my status next season. But, as many of you know, selling tickets isn't easy and has really become the main reason I'm considering dropping out.

Looks like I'm going to be out. No interested buyers yet, which helps confirm my main reason for not renewing.

I've been on the "waitlist" since the early part of 2013.  After I put myself on it, it took the season ticket office less than 48 hours to contact me asking if I was interested in premium or box seats which they had "readily available."  I was very upfront with them, and told them I was not interested in premium or club seats, but I wanted lower level seating, as I attended games with both my father and uncle and was done with walking up to the top concourse every game.  They thanked me for my interest and said I might be on the list for some time and tried one last time to sell their premium seating, but I wasn't having any of it.  

After not hearing anything after that, I got an email about six weeks ago saying it was almost time for me to come off the list and purchase tickets.  After reading up on things, including some threads here, I was resigned to not getting tickets because I was not willing to get upper level seats and work my way down.  Like I said above, I did that as a kid and had enough of it, and I wasn't sure that I could sell upper level seats and even take an acceptable loss.  

About three weeks after that email, I was told I was able to log into the ticket website and go pick out my tickets.  To my surprise, there were lower level seats available, most of them in the 200 section.  After plodding through the selection screen and waving off tickets, I was deciding on a couple seats when I stumbled upon tickets in Section 114.  I was able to get Row 14 aisle seats.  Considering I have aisle seats for both the Capitals and Orioles, this was a no-brainer to purchase for me.  I am still wondering how those seats were available in the first place, but I know I am definitely going to enjoy them.  

The only thing thing I was a bit upset about was that parking passes were not available, but I've read up enough to know that there are some ways to park there on game day in cash lots.  All that is left for me now is to start getting tailgating equipment together. 

Can anyone here offer me some advice.  I've got 4 upper level seats on the aisle at midfield about halfway up.  I've had them for several years.  

I've decided that I'm definitely renewing 2 of the 4, but I'm in the fence about the other 2.    If I don't renew by today's "deadline" (April 1), what are the chances I can make a decision on those 2 in the next month or so and still get them?  Upgrades don't start till later in the spring, so why would they be gone, right?   Same with parking (Green).  I haven't decided yet what to do.   If I pass on them, will I be able to change my mind later in the spring?     

Coach JS - Depends on demand. You can always try calling them and see if they can put a hold on the tickets for you...I remember MTH once wrote about not renewing some so-so tickets he had and the team held onto them for him (even though he did not care). On the other hand, he knew people who had nice seats, missed the deadline, and lost them. Given that you are on 50, I would not hold my breath, but it would not hurt to call. BTW, what section are you in? I had seats in 401 r23 on the aisle until they ripped them out last year. I got moved down several rows, but am no longer on the aisle.

Coach JS - Depends on demand. You can always try calling them and see if they can put a hold on the tickets for you...I remember MTH once wrote about not renewing some so-so tickets he had and the team held onto them for him (even though he did not care). On the other hand, he knew people who had nice seats, missed the deadline, and lost them. Given that you are on 50, I would not hold my breath, but it would not hurt to call. BTW, what section are you in? I had seats in 401 r23 on the aisle until they ripped them out last year. I got moved down several rows, but am no longer on the aisle.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give them a call and either way make a decision soon.  454 Row 15 just 2 seats off aisle (454/401)

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give them a call and either way make a decision soon.  454 Row 15 just 2 seats off aisle (454/401)

Kinda off topic, but those are great seats and I know why you don't want to give those up.  My uncle had row 14 (I think) until he passed away.  I have very fond memories of that section. 

I have the sales rep for the Caps hounding me to buy tickets.  I never buy game tix from the sales rep because I can buy tix on Stubhub for the same sections at below face value.  This is in the club level section.  I don't believe you can resell the tickets for 80% of the games at a profit. 

Yes you can, because Capitals season ticket holders don't pay face value.  They pay significantly less; it's one of the biggest perks of committing to 41 games, and the Caps sales rep is an idiot if he didn't advertise that to you.  I've been making money on my tickets all season, including weeknight games against "non-prime" opponents.

Edited by capcrunch98

Yes you can, because Capitals season ticket holders don't pay face value.  They pay significantly less; it's one of the biggest perks of committing to 41 games, and the Caps sales rep is an idiot if he didn't advertise that to you.  I've been making money on my tickets all season, including weeknight games against "non-prime" opponents.

UVA does the same thing for basketball and baseball. The discount for buying the whole season is substantial vs. buying individual games. The discount for UVA Football is either none or very modest.

How can you discount season tickets when ALL the tickets you sell are season tickets. Discounting season tickets only works if you also sell a substantial number of individual game tickets. Baseball is a perfect example. Depending on the team, half or less of the seats are season tickets and the rest are sold on a game by game basis. Discounting season tickets to attract people to buy seats to all the game is a sure revenue source as opposed to hoping you can sell those seats to individuals for all 82 games at full price. Certain NFL teams do this also because they do not sell out their general admission seats. Redskins club seats are sold at a discount when you negotiate your contract because there is not enough demand to set a standard price for all club seats.It is just classic economic behavior.

You really expect a team to discount season tickets when they have sufficient demand to buy all the tickets at the price set by the team? That's just not logical business. You don't give away money to be a nice guy. Clearly people advocating this do not run their own business.

• 2 weeks later...

..was looking at my Redskins rewards account and it looks like I got 500 yards this year for buying a season parking pass...also bought 2 field passes for the preseason (they are cheap....only 3000 yards per pass limit 2 per person for the preseason). I also got a couple more of the STH pins for 50 yards each.

It also looks like they did not award my yards correctly. I have 4 upper level seats and have been a STH for 15-19 years. I should be getting 6000 x 4 = 24000 yards. They credited me with 8000. The only thing I can think of is that I am doing the 3 payments and maybe they are crediting me 1/3 at a time. Anybody else seeing this?