Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiper: Greatest top 10 picks of all time

Hitman21ST

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=6181189

Greatest No. 10 Pick: Rod Woodson, 1987

Greatest No. 9 Pick: Bruce Matthews, 1983

Greatest No. 8 Pick: Ronnie Lott, 1981

Greatest No. 7 Pick: Phil Simms, 1979

Greatest No. 6 Pick: James Lofton, 1978

Greatest No. 5 Pick: Deion Sanders, 1989

Greatest No. 4 Pick: Walter Payton, 1975

Greatest No. 3 Pick: Anthony Munoz, 1980

Greatest No. 2 Pick: Lawrence Taylor, 1982

Greatest No. 1 Pick: John Elway, 1983

Runners-up: Peyton Manning, Earl Campbell, Bruce Smith, Troy Aikman, O.J. Simpson

You can list the plaudits -- five Super Bowls, nine Pro Bowls, a league MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, over 51,475 yards -- but Elway really doesn't get enough credit for what he did in simply getting the Broncos to those first three Super Bowls. Those were mediocre teams and he flat-out willed them to the Super Bowl. "The Drive" was good theatre but also indicative of what he meant to those teams. He was literally the difference between a win and a loss in so many games. He finally won his rings when the Broncos defense became a more formidable unit, and when the team could actually run the ball, but Elway was just a brilliant competitor throughout. Incidentally, he's also a part of the most lopsided deal in NFL history. Denver got him for Chris Hinton, Mark Herrmann and a third-round pick that became Ron Solt. You could argue for any of the others, but Elway is my pick.

I can't really argue any of picks 10-2, but for number 1, everything he wrote about Elway can be said about Manning: Super Bowls, Pro Bowls, League MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and yards. The Colts teams that Manning lead to the Super Bowl were by no means outstanding, and Manning pretty much willed them to the Super Bowl. You could give an argument to the quality of the division opponents, but still, there's not much difference between his description of Elway and Manning's career.

What the hell is Phil Simms doing there? And Dionne Sanders sure didn't do the Falcons, the team that picked him, much good.

edit: Junior Seau 1990 was a better pick than Dionne, just less hype and Seau never got to be on as good a team in his prime as the Niners or Pukes in the 90's.

edit: Couldn't find better than Simms, IMO, which leads me to say the players that got picked with the 7th overall just happen to be relatively weak. Nothing against Simms, but he was never the Montana or Marino or Elway of his day.

What the hell is Phil Simms doing there? And Dionne Sanders sure didn't do the Falcons, the team that picked him, much good.

FWIW, Riggins got an runner-up mention for the #6

Simms beat out Champ Bailey :wtf:, Sterling Sharpe, Willie Buchanon, Kevin Williams, and Bryant Young

Deion beat out Michael Haynes and Junior Seau

Not much difference between Elway and Manning plz look at the talent Manning had around him compared to Elway for most of his career. Also today's rules favor the Passing game alot more. Though Manning's career is not over, so far he has gone to 2 bowls with a ton of more talent around him and Elway went to 5, with 3 of them with no talent at all on offense but him.

That's a heck of a list of talented football players ..... and Phil Simms. Just WTF is that all about?

Oh, and I'd have Peyton at 1. But then as I think he stands alongside ANYONE who's ever played the position, in ANY era; and is both the best football player and football mind on a player I've ever seen, I would,

Hail.

I can't really argue any of picks 10-2, but for number 1, everything he wrote about Elway can be said about Manning: Super Bowls, Pro Bowls, League MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and yards. The Colts teams that Manning lead to the Super Bowl were by no means outstanding, and Manning pretty much willed them to the Super Bowl. You could give an argument to the quality of the division opponents, but still, there's not much difference between his description of Elway and Manning's career.

Manning went to 2 Superbowls and only won it one time. Elway took his teams to 5 Superbowls and only won it 2 times. Since when did 5 Superbowls equal 2 Superbowls? No other player took his team to that many Superbowls not to mention all of the years of first round failures that Payton had and Elway didn't the post season is where these two players seperate and Elway gets the win in my opinion.

My bone is this....why in the blue hell was Earl Campbell even mentioned in the same breath as Manning, Aikman, Elway, and Bruce Smith? Sure Campbell got awards but he's got nothing in the post season and his career was cut short. I would never have had him on that list personally. Great player but not at those levels

Also, if I remember correctly, the aft was weak when elway went to his first fee bowls, manning is playing when the afc is the strongest they've ever been. But that Phil Simms thin is odd

I find it odd that you have issue completing small words. :P

I'm a homer. Elway absolutely! However, I am a Manning fan.

Manning has always had proper receivers and a great O-line. Watch highlight reels of Elway avoiding a sack throwing the ball to some guy you never heard of with Sammy Winder running the ball and tell me again that Manning has nothing to work with. Dan Reeves never even ditched the handcuffs until we were trailing in the last 5 minutes of the game. That's why John Elway was know for his comebacks. He was given a proper line and a running back and won back to back SBs. Now that is the best QB to ever play the game!

I think some of you guys are missing the point. Kiper is ranking the greatest draft picks at each spot. The greatest #1 overall pick. The greatest #2 overall pick, etc.

I get it. I would rank Elway over Manning. Not sure where Aikman ranks but he was great and surely worthy of a #1 overall pick.....

Archived