Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter twitter - Robert Gallery to leave Raiders

c4man5282

Should we take a look? The assistant OL coach is one of our coaches now.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Robert Gallery said it's time to leave the Raiders. Here are the details: http://is.gd/badbNv

click link in tweet for full article...

By Adam Schefter

In an offseason in which the Oakland Raiders are prepared to lose cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, they also will lose left guard Robert Gallery.

After speaking with Raiders owner Al Davis, Gallery has decided to sign somewhere else whenever free agency begins.

A Raiders career that started in 2004, when Oakland made him the second overall pick and continued with Gallery starting 75 games for the team, now is over.

"With the end of the league year coming today, and the few conversations I've had with the Raiders and Mr. Davis, we've come to a mutual agreement that it's time for me to move on with my career," Gallery said Thursday from his home in the Oakland area. "I appreciate the start that they and Mr. Davis gave me and I truly have enjoyed my time wearing the silver and black. I wish them well, I thank the fans and I take away great memories of my time in Oakland."

Like Asomugha, Gallery's contract voided after this past season. After seven NFL seasons, he will be an unrestricted free agent. The 30-year-old Gallery knows that whenever football is played next, he will be playing it in a different place.

The "He's too old and I only want 21 year olds on this team" crowd will enter in 5... 4... 3 ... 2 ... 1

I like this one, "He's 30 years and will be 31 sometime this year. He has played only 6 full seaons since being in the league since 2004. We need to trade Player X for a draft pick and be all young players. I miss the days when we drafted our whole team and never signed free agents."

The only problem I have with Gallery is that he's missed 14 games the last 2 seasons. If we can get him for the right price, and then once a new CBA is agreed on go get Davin Joseph and Ryan Harris then our o-line will start to take shape. Now if we can only get rid of Rabach.

The "He's too old and I only want 21 year olds on this team" crowd will enter in 5... 4... 3 ... 2 ... 1

Well played. Here are the four new member of their dream offensive line:

PreschoolPic.bmp

His price tag is probably too high, but I like the idea of getting some new guards and sliding Lich to center. Get Ryan Harris with Trent Williams and I think we might have a decent o-line.

I like this one, "He's 30 years and will be 31 sometime this year. He has played only 6 full seaons since being in the league since 2004. We need to trade Player X for a draft pick and be all young players. I miss the days when we drafted our whole team and never signed free agents."
The only problem I have with Gallery is that he's missed 14 games the last 2 seasons. If we can get him for the right price, and then once a new CBA is agreed on go get Davin Joseph and Ryan Harris then our o-line will start to take shape. Now if we can only get rid of Rabach.

Holy **** it happened 1 minute after I posted it. I think I was trolled.

Now that's an oline with potential. I mean they don't even need cleats, pads or helmets. And they are exactly the age we are looking for. I can't wait for the CBA to completed. Sign these guys quick!

Looks like they have enough self-padding to me.

Holy **** it happened 1 minute after I posted it. I think I was trolled.

What are you talking about? When did I say anything about trading any player for a draft pick? We have a chance to rebuild the o-line via free agency once there is a new CBA, why shouldn't we do it? If we can get Gallery, Joseph, and Harris to add with Trent then we could draft a center to get rid of Rabach, who has been nothing more than a revolving door for the last couple of seasons.

The only current RT we have is Heyer, who I hope is cut. I'd rather sign Ryan Harris who is younger than Brown and who won't cost as much to sign to a long term deal. Then Joseph would be another quality signing to help secure up the inside of our o-line for several years to come, and then if we can get Gallery for a reasonable price I don't see why these signings are viewed in a negative light?

Is he quick and athletic enough to play in our ZBS? That's the only thing that really matters.

I thought the raiders run-game was more smash-mouth one-on-one stuff.

Nah. Cable ran a ZBS, and a small part of the reason the Raiders kept Hue over Cable was that he wanted to bring back the power scheme....along with the fact that he actually improved the offense.

Is he quick and athletic enough to play in our ZBS? That's the only thing that really matters.

I thought the raiders run-game was more smash-mouth one-on-one stuff.

IIRC Cable was a big ZBS proponent so I think he's athletic enough to be a ZBS guy and also IIRC his positive coming out of Iowa was his feet and how he was quick

So, you either just started following football or you used to live in some alternate reality?

He is a 31 year old, often injured guy, who plays at a position were we already have a young correctly paid player at. Why would anybody not like this brilliant idea?

He is a 31 year old, often injured guy, who plays at a position were we already have a young correctly paid player at. Why would anybody not like this brilliant idea?

I don't know if he was blowing smoke or not, but Shanny was quoted saying he'd rather have Kory and Will Montgomery as backups.

So that tells me he doesn't love his current guard situation.

We cut Dock, and who knows what the deal is with Big Mike Williams.

Hicks seems better suited as a backup RT.

I'm not saying "yes yes yes yes we should sign this guy!" but it seems we will try to bring in a veteran guard who fits what we're doing.

Archived