Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Examiner: Is Alexander the Answer?

authentic

No player on defense after Rak had more then 2 1/2 sacks. I believe we were 31st in sack total.

I agree but that also includes DL where Haynesworth and Vonnie Holliday lead the way w/ a whopping 2.5 each.

vs a BJ Raji 6.5 sacks and Cullen Jenkins 7.0 sacks

Also, Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson didn't play much.

But I think they're closer to matching the production of Zombo, Walden and Briggs then our current DL is to matching the production of BJ Raji and Cullen Jenkins.

Alexander had his chance to prove that he was the "answer". Its obvious that long-term, he isn't. But if a better DL prospect is available, he's also not bad enough to make you pass up that guy for an inferior OLB prospect. And he'll be great depth for a few years.

If they really want to improve the overall pass rush:

o get better production up front especially from the RDE position

a RDE that's a threat makes Orkapo that much better

o Stop the freakin run and play with a lead/score more damn points-

Force teams to have to pass then be more aggresive w/ the pressure packages

Give a rotation of Lonzo, Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson a chance

I think these are excellent observations. I also think LA was very good against the run as an OLB

He is not the answer for the future or maybe not even as starter but he definitely needs to be on this team. He is a quality player all around

Exactly. Great depth, great character guy, hard worker, and great special teams players. You could have a decent highlight reel just from his ST's hits from last season. They were always audible.

Alexander is a decent role player. The Redskins need a pass rusher coming off the edge. Alexander is not in the Brian Orakpo, Demarcus Ware, Derrick Thomas kind of mold. We have to get somebody who is. I wish that kid from Alabama ROLB Courtney Upshaw would have declared himself eligible for the draft because he would be the answer. If Von Miller falls to us it would be a blessing.

First off you should probably stop trying to tell people how to think.

Forgive me but I find it hard to believe that Shanahan a historically reticent coach is gonna tell the general media his exact draft plan.

But, even if that wasn't the case how many 3-4 teams have 2 elite OLB?

And do you honestly believe in a 3-4 having 2 great pass rushing OLB is better then having a competent DL?

It's not about him laying out his draft plan. It's about him addressing what he sees as our biggest areas of need. He didn't just throw that out there as a draft ploy. Don't be ridiculous. Why single out a specific position? If he wanted to remain ambiguous he would just say something along the lines of "we're looking to improve wherever we can" and left it at that.

It doesn't matter what other teams are doing. Do you not get that? It's about how we are looking to build the REDSKINS defense. Shanahan says he wants another OLB. That's the bottom line.

You can keep posting your redundant thoughts in every possible thread that we need a RDE and not an OLB if you want. You'll just be wrong every single time. And if I choose to call you out for repeating the same exact nonsense in every other thread, I'll do that.

It's not about him laying out his draft plan. It's about him addressing what he sees as our biggest areas of need. He didn't just throw that out there as a draft ploy. Don't be ridiculous. Why single out a specific position? If he wanted to remain ambiguous he would just say something along the lines of "we're looking to improve wherever we can" and left it at that.

I think you're being ridiculous when you believe that Mike Shanahan would be forthright with his draft intentions.

BTW speaking about something isn't the same thing as addressing something.

How come when some posters are challenged in a discussion they resort to posts like this?

It doesn't matter what other teams are doing. Do you not get that? It's about how we are looking to build the REDSKINS defense. Shanahan says he wants another OLB. That's the bottom line.

You right it doesn't matter what other teams do but when people like you claim that 2 elite pass rush OLB is need for a 3-4 yet good 3-4 defenses don't always have 2 elite pass rushing OLB its obviously not a need.

Do you follow? A need is something that is required for success.

Therefore the lack would of said "need" would preclude it from functioning especially at a high level.

But clearly the Packer's have a functional 3-4 no?

But, even if it were true it still wouldn't be the bottom line.

If you're gonna post like you know what you're talking about you should probably make sure you actually do in fact know what you're talking about.

The quote as per Mike Jones was:

outside pass rusher to go w Orakpo is 'right up there at the top' for priorities

http://blog.redskins.com/2011/02/25/crowdsourcing-mike-shanahans-indianapolis-presser/

For all intents a purposes a RDE could be higher on his list of priorities.

We don't know.

Therefore the below notion is a myth because its not even accurate based on what Mike Shanahan actually said:

So let the Redskins talk about wanting a pass-rushing linebacker opposite Brian Orakpo -- coach Mike Shanahan put it atop his list.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/03/alexander-answer#ixzz1FZtyhs3h

that we need a RDE and not an OLB if you want. You'll just be wrong every single time.

You don't know a whole lot about football do you?

And if I choose to call you out for repeating the same exact nonsense in every other thread, I'll do that.

To call someone out you first need to know what you're talking about.

(1) you wrong about Shanahan's statement

(2) you wrong about 2 elite pass rushing OLB being a need for a 3-4

But, even if you were right 'calling someone out' is a very immature way to post.

It make you seem needlessly contentious even on an internet football forum.

I would like to think extremeskins is better then that, that 2 people can discuss football and exchange opinions but if you want to continue to post like a douche by my guest.

HTTR

I think you're being ridiculous when you believe that Mike Shanahan would be forthright with his draft intentions.

BTW speaking about something isn't the same thing as addressing something.

How come when some posters are challenged in a discussion they resort to posts like this?

Quit crying and suck it up. Stop being so sensitive.

You right it doesn't matter what other teams do but when people like you claim that 2 elite pass rush OLB is need for a 3-4 yet good 3-4 defenses don't always have 2 elite pass rushing OLB its obviously not a need.

I didn't clam anything. I said Shanahan said he wanted another OLB. In other words, contrary to what YOU said when you keep repeating the same reptetive thought that we DON"T need another one. How many times have you posted that now? Clearly you and Shanahan are of two opposite minds on the matter.

Do you follow? A need is something that is required for success.

Therefore the lack would of said "need" would preclude it from functioning especially at a high level.

But clearly the Packer's have a functional 3-4 no?

But, even if it were true it still wouldn't be the bottom line.

If you're gonna post like you know what you're talking about you should probably make sure you actually do in fact know what you're talking about.

The quote as per Mike Jones was:

http://blog.redskins.com/2011/02/25/crowdsourcing-mike-shanahans-indianapolis-presser/

For all intents a purposes a RDE could be higher on his list of priorities.

We don't know.

Therefore the below notion is a myth because its not even accurate based on what Mike Shanahan actually said:

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/03/alexander-answer#ixzz1FZtyhs3h

Lets focus on the Redskins and what was actually said, and not on trying to read between lines, shall we?

You don't know a whole lot about football do you?

Definitely not a sophmoric statement, right? Clown.

To call someone out you first need to know what you're talking about.

(1) you wrong about Shanahan's statement

(2) you wrong about 2 elite pass rushing OLB being a need for a 3-4

Where am I wrong? Shanahan said OLB was right up there in our PRIORITIES

And once again, I never said we needed two Elite OLB's necessariy to run a 3-4. However, by coach's comments, he believes we do.

But, even if you were right 'calling someone out' is a very immature way to post.

It make you seem needlessly contentious even on an internet football forum.

I would like to think extremeskins is better then that, that 2 people can discuss football and exchange opinions but if you want to continue to post like a douche by my guest.

I'll be as contentious as I feel like. I don't really care what you feel the decorum should be like. If I want to be abrasive I'll do that. You can always just skim over my posts.

PS. The fact that you think you're relaying some sort of advanced football intricacy when you say that a great DL makes the guys behind them better is absolutely hilarious. Please tell us the story of how the OLine makes the QB better next.

PS. The fact that you think you're relaying some sort of advanced football intricacy when you say that a great DL makes the guys behind them better is absolutely hilarious. Please tell us the story of how the OLine makes the QB better next.

I don't think its intricate at all.

And no one said anything about a great DL i try not to deal in hyperbole.

But the fact that competent DL improves the play on the back end is so obvious that people, like yourself, miss it.

---------- Post added March-4th-2011 at 06:52 PM ----------

Where am I wrong? Shanahan said OLB was right up there in our PRIORITIES

And once again, I never said we needed two Elite OLB's necessariy to run a 3-4. However, by coach's comments, he believes we do.

You're wrong because you keep insisting that Shanahan believes acquiring an elite pass rushing OLB is a need simple because he said "its right up there".

Which obviously means that adding an OLB is one of many priorities not thee priority.

Is that too sublime a point for you to follow?

Based on his statement RDE could be a priority also it could even by a higher priority.

BTW-

You never answered these questions:

How many 3-4 teams have 2 elite OLB?

And do you honestly believe in a 3-4 having 2 great pass rushing OLB is better then having a competent DL?

Archived