Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Examiner: Is Alexander the Answer?

authentic

With everything LA has shown he can do for this team over the past few years, the last thing in the world I would do is bet against him. He's been switching from position to position, and honestly has done a descent job at most of them, but can you imagine what he might be able to accomplish if he actually had more than one offseason playing the position?

I mean we gave Campbell a break because he had to learn a new playbook over the offseason, LA had to learn a new position every offseason if not 2, and probably another one during the year.

No other Redskin I would like to see succeed more. I truly wish the rest of this team (and the Wizards) had the same level of heart as LA.

Good article.

I don't buy into the myth that 3-4 needs 2 elite OLB pass rushers to have success.

While it would be a nice luxury its not a neccesity if you look at Green Bay they certainly don't have 2 elite pass rush OLBs.

They have 1 in Clay Matthews and a rotation: Frank Zombo (4 sacks), Eric Walden (3 sacks), Briggs.

So to answer the question:

Is Alexander the Answer?

Yes, I think Lorenzo is part of our current answer for the LOLB but neccisarily the answer to the pass rushing queston.

I like the production we got from the OLBs in the last few weeks of the season.

After Rak missed a game they started flipping him back and forth from ROLB to LOLB on rushing downs.

Which gave Carter, Rob Jackson chances to rush from the right side.

In Rob Jackson's limited snaps and the recently re-signed Chris Wilson 9in the past) have proven to be much more natural pass rushers then Lonzo ever will be.

But, those guys aren't stout against the run.

I don't want to see Lonzo cut too much weight in an effort to become a better outside pass rusher at the expense of being stout.

I would rather want him to work on being stout at the point and setting the edge against the run on 1st and 2nd downs.

If they really want to improve the overall pass rush:

o get better production up front especially from the RDE position

a RDE that's a threat makes Orkapo that much better

o Stop the freakin run and play with a lead/score more damn points-

Force teams to have to pass then be more aggresive w/ the pressure packages

Give a rotation of Lonzo, Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson a chance

lorenzo is a teams guy and decent depth at a bunch of spots. he is a bad starting OLB. hes too slow and is not an edge rusher.

he was only out there last year because we had nothing else.

This is exactly how i feel. We need someone who is more atheletic. He was Ok against the run, and had a few good plays in coverage, but like you said he's just too slow and not atheletic enough to be what we need there.

Lorenzo did surprisingly well consider he's a transformed defensive tackle. He's one of my favorite players on the current squad because of his heart and blue colar attitude. He just fights and brings it. That said, he isn't the answer. I think he's better suited to play in the middle (could he replace Rocky as an inside linebacker?) because of his size and experience against the run. Having a linebacker as big as him would help out his d linemen and shield Fletcher a bit and might make crashing the run easier.

Good article.

I don't buy into the myth that 3-4 needs to elite OLB pass rushers to have success.

While it would be a nice luxury its not a neccesity if you look at Green Bay they certainly don't have 2 elite pass rush OLBs.

They have 1 in Clay Matthews and a rotation: Frank Zombo (4 sacks), Eric Walden (3 sacks), Briggs.

So to answer the question:

Yes, I think Lorenzo is part of our current answer for the LOLB but neccisarily the answer to the pass rushing queston.

I like the production we got from the OLBs in the last few weeks of the season.

After Rak missed a game they started flipping him back and forth from ROLB to LOLB on rushing downs.

Which gave Carter, Rob Jackson chances to rush from the right side.

In Rob Jackson's limited snaps and the recently re-signed Chris Wilson 9in the past) have proven to be much more natural pass rushers then Lonzo ever will be.

But, those guys aren't stout against the run.

I don't want to see Lonzo cut too much weight in an effort to become a better outside pass rusher at the expense of being stout.

I would rather want him to work on being stout at the point and setting the edge against the run on 1st and 2nd downs.

If they really want to improve the overall pass rush:

o get better production up front especially from the RDE position

a RDE that's a threat makes Orkapo that much better

o Stop the freakin run and play with a lead/score more damn points-

Force teams to have to pass then be more aggresive w/ the pressure packages

Give a rotation of Lonzo, Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson a chance

Shanahan does. If he thought the answer was on our roster he wouldn't have come out and said OLB is our biggest need. Stop trying to out-think the obvious.

Good article.

I don't buy into the myth that 3-4 needs to elite OLB pass rushers to have success.

No player on defense after Rak had more then 2 1/2 sacks. I believe we were 31st in sack total.

I hope we never see Lorenzo leave. He is the epitomy of what an athlete should be. Even if he's just a special teamer, he plays at a Pro-Bowl level there every year. And he's a great contributor if not solid starter on defense and can play any position. I'll never forget when he lost his helmet in preseason as a rookie and still chased down the ball-carrier for the tackle. All heart.

The NFL in general could use more players like Alexander. Imagine if every player had that kind of work ethic and determination to do whatever they can to get better? Some players are like that (James Harrison comes to mind) but others (Haynesworth) just seem to think they can get by on natural talent alone without having to work to improve themselves.

Lorenzo did surprisingly well consider he's a transformed defensive tackle. He's one of my favorite players on the current squad because of his heart and blue colar attitude. He just fights and brings it. That said, he isn't the answer. I think he's better suited to play in the middle (could he replace Rocky as an inside linebacker?) because of his size and experience against the run. Having a linebacker as big as him would help out his d linemen and shield Fletcher a bit and might make crashing the run easier.

I could see that ... put him in the middle next to Fletch. But, regardless of where he fits scheme wise, the guy is a football player. He brings it every freaking play. I want to win like everyone else and I want personnel that fits our schemes ... but I also would not bet against this guy.

All he's ever done is prove everyone wrong, and I'd say he's already made a pretty good career for himself so far. Hail to Lorenzo.

I recently saw him in public and he looked very lean....needs to hit Don Beebe's House of Speed all summer to get any burst from the corner. Love how he'll play anything from OL, OLB, DT, DE, ST.....maybe he can kick or punt? He could be our next Sammy Baugh. :)

Shanahan does. If he thought the answer was on our roster he wouldn't have come out and said OLB is our biggest need. Stop trying to out-think the obvious.

Well Shanahan is well known for throwing curveballs. During the offseason you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

I think Alexander should be playing with his hand in the dirt, or move him to inside LB next to Fletcher, but OLB is a bit of a stretch for LA. He played well, but his talent needs to be either in the down position or on the inside. I would like them to utilize his talent better.

First off you should probably stop trying to tell people how to think.

Forgive me but I find it hard to believe that Shanahan a historically reticent coach is gonna tell the general media his exact draft plan.

But, even if that wasn't the case how many 3-4 teams have 2 elite OLB?

And do you honestly believe in a 3-4 having 2 great pass rushing OLB is better then having a competent DL?

But, even if that wasn't the case how many 3-4 teams have 2 elite OLB?

And do you honestly believe in a 3-4 having 2 great pass rushing OLB is better then having a competent DL?

This.

We currently have a C at LOLB, and an F at RDE.

Look at how Pittsburgh, New England, and Green Bay built their 3-4s. Look at what pieces they added first.

Archived