Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Texas immigration bill has big exception

DRSmith

I think this is an interesting exemption. I mean where else but in Texas can a business owner be held responsible for hiring an illegal in one place but not another? Seriously, under this law business owners can get fined and arrested for hiring illegals in their factories, and yet be exempt from responsibility when they hire that same illegal to cut their grass.

And people are calling for common sense. :rotflmao:

I don't understand your logic. The profit motive for the business owner is far far greater to hire illegals in a factory because of the multiplicative factor, than to save a few bucks an hour with a handful of slightly cheaper home helpers.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 10:31 AM ----------

Attention illegals, you can't hold a job that isn't in service in someone home.

Attention illegals, you can't hold a job with a business which complies with the law. Is this a bad thing?

Companies which hire illegals for home cleaning and yardwork can be punished so the issue is that because hiring of freelance illegal immigrants isn't addressed by this bill it's a bad bill?

It's also time to get over the fact that as long as I need to get to work on time, I'll drive 100 MPH. And as long as I need to improve my own situation, I'll rob banks. Good for the goose, y'know.

And yet speed limits are increasing all the time, I remember 55 mph interstate speed limits...now they're at 70 I believe...everywhere but communist Virginia that is.

When laws don't work you change the laws. That's why the NYPD is no longer arresting people who perform puppet shows out of their windows even though it is against the law.

Oh, and if you're going to try and compare a misdemeanor like illegal entry to a felony like bank robbery then no one is going to take you seriously.

No, as long as the Right continues this charade the caste system will exist. Amnesty removes the caste system, a guest worker program removes the caste system. The GOP in Texas and else where apparently only wants to half ass things so they look tough on illegal immigration in the next voting cycle.

We already did amnesty and have guest worker program....we have not enforced immigration laws

Charade is right,as is half assed....now you want to explain why the laws and borders are not being enforced?

At least I see the right attempting to do so,unlike the Left which support sanctuary policies and fight enforcement of the laws we already have.

Complaining about a caste system ya'll did crap to address with full control of govt is rather weak.:evilg:

I don't understand your logic. The profit motive for the business owner is far far greater to hire illegals in a factory because of the multiplicative factor, than to save a few bucks an hour with a handful of slightly cheaper home helpers.

So, illegal is still illegal. That's what the Right tells us all the time, only it doesn't seem so anymore.

We already did amnesty and have guest worker program....we have not enforced immigration laws

There is no way to enforce the laws we have on the books, unless you have a plan to deport 10 million people, oh you have to find them too. BTW, who is going to pay for all of this?

Charade is right,as is half assed....now you want to explain why the laws and borders are not being enforced?

Because they are unenforceable, this is what happens when you have a 2,000 mile border and the country on the other side implodes. These people are acting just like refugees.

At least I see the right attempting to do so,unlike the Left which support sanctuary policies and fight enforcement of the laws we already have.

That's because the Left knows that making it MORE illegal to be an illegal doesn't work, the Right is flailing about because they know it doesn't work too, but they can't admit that lest they lose the support of their voters.

Complaining about a caste system ya'll did crap to address with full control of govt is rather weak.:evilg:

You're right, instead the GOP bogged us down in the Health Care battle instead of working through it so we could deal with immigration before next election cycle.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

How would you suggest a homeowner does the appropriate due diligence to have a few hours of yardwork performed?

I'm not, I think the whole thing is stupid. I'm just flipping it around the show the absurdity of it all. It's ya'll who want everyone to be subject to the law, and then it's ya'll that want to pretend that you didn't say that when it might affect the average person. Like I said, "actions have consequences" but only when it's happening to someone else.

Attention illegals, you can't hold a job with a business which complies with the law. Is this a bad thing?

Companies which hire illegals for home cleaning and yardwork can be punished so the issue is that because hiring of freelance illegal immigrants isn't addressed by this bill it's a bad bill?

Yes I think creating a servant class is a bad thing. This decriminalizes hiring illegals in areas they are most at risk of being turned into slaves and being abused. What exactly about that do you have a problem with?

The Left is whining about a bill to aid enforcement by complaining it doesn't enforce enough....while supporting not enforcing immigration laws

Just another day in the USA

The Left is whining about a bill to aid enforcement by complaining it doesn't enforce enough....while supporting not enforcing immigration laws

Just another day in the USA

You know very well that's not what I'm doing, I'm just flip siding the argument.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 11:14 AM ----------

I agree that employers should be punished, but how do you enforce the law in this area?

You can't.

Like I said, "actions have consequences" but only when it's happening to someone else.

Should employers be punished for employing people who are not authorized to work? I think the answer is yes, provided the employer can reasonably determine that the person does not have a legal employment status.

Given that, how can a homeowner verify legal employment status? I was employed here for a number of years on a H-1 visa as an executive in a technology company. My family members did not have employment eligibility. During that time if any of my neighbors had hired my wife or kids for home help, baby sitting, yard work or other services the neighbor would have been in violation of the law. What punishment should the neighbors have faced as a consequence?

That combined with a workable guest worker program and amnesty...sure, I'd be game for that.

Convince me they are gonna enforce the laws and I'm game.....I ain't writing another blank check though.

Gonna be a neat trick when the feds are actively fighting enforcement.

If an immigrant:

Can i see your greencard? Can I see your passport?

Is that hard to do?

How do I know you're an immigrant? I recently became citizen. What paperwork does my kid need to carry before he can do yard work for a neighbor. He has no paper work showing his employment eligibility. Does he have to have a passport to do yard work?

Racism.....now if we required ID that clearly showed status,but that would be ....

Asking someone for a greencard or passport before hiring them is racism? I'm having trouble taking you seriously on this topic when you say dumb **** like this.

Agreed twa's comment is dumb ... it's not racism, but it is impractical. White people in America do not automatically have employment eligibility :) and those that are eligible may not have either a passport or green card.

Oh ... google says about 37% of citizens have passports.

Asking someone for a greencard or passport before hiring them is racism? I'm having trouble taking you seriously on this topic when you say dumb **** like this.

It is, unless you check everyone. It's the definition of profiling if you only ask people who "look" Hispanic.

How do I know you're an immigrant? I recently became citizen. What paperwork does my kid need to carry before he can do yard work for a neighbor. He has no paper work showing his employment eligibility. Does he have to have a passport to do yard work?
Are we talking about kids now? Really this is where we want to take to debate. We're going to pretend that hiring illegals to work in your home is the same as a bunch of kids offering to rake up a few leaves for 20 bucks.

I'm sorry but when you're ready to have an adult conversation I'll have one with you but this is ridiculous. As for residency status, you ask. You say "are you legal and can you prove it". Every job I've ever had asks the question. Extending the requirement to people hiring laborers isn't asking much especially if you consider how important we pretend this issue is.

Heaven forbid those that have the time to complain about the illegal immigration problem be asked to ask a question. That's just asking way too much.

To mow the grass?...I fully support requiring documentation to hire at a business

Do you know how many brown people are down here that would be offended and proclaim it as such....including my neighbors?

I would like to demand the white guys papers though...just to **** with him

It is, unless you check everyone. It's the definition of profiling if you only ask people who "look" Hispanic.

So ask everyone. What is the problem here? Ask "are you legally eligible to work in the US and can you prove it".

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

To mow the grass?...I fully support requiring documentation to hire at a business

Do you know how many brown people are down here that would be offended and proclaim it as such....including my neighbors?

Suddenly you're worried about offending people. I wonder if you think I'd believe that.

If the law put everyone at risk for hiring illegals there would be no one offended because they'd understand why. See how simple that is?

If an immigrant:

Can i see your greencard? Can I see your passport?

Is that hard to do?

Grandma is so confrontational like that. Let me see your papers gives her flashbacks.

All of this for a 25minute grass cutting?

Could we not pretend it bothers people just to score political points.

There is enough to go after the Republicans on: Homeless vets, budget, unions.

This is petty.

Agreed twa's comment is dumb ... it's not racism, but it is impractical. White people in America do not automatically have employment eligibility :) and those that are eligible may not have either a passport or green card.

Oh ... google says about 37% of citizens have passports.

So I'm expected to believe illegal immigration is a HUGE PROBLEM but we're concerned with "impractical". Really?

I hear war is impractical too. Guess we should never have another one.

Are we talking about kids now? Really this is where we want to take to debate. We're going to pretend that hiring illegals to work in your home is the same as a bunch of kids offering to rake up a few leaves for 20 bucks.

OK ... ignore my posts that referenced my wife. My wife was not eligible to work here for several years, even though she was a homeowner in a nice neighborhood. Should it be a legal requirement for a homeowner for hiring someone to do housework or yardwork to know all the different types of paper work which show employment eligibility?

Archived